Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Photos from Madame Tussaud's in Washington DC

I am again sharing photos that are not mine but those of my son who went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum a couple of days ago with a friend. I didn't even know there was a Madame Tussaud's here. I have seen the one in London and Victoria in British Columbia, but didn't realize there was one so close.
Here he is with President Lincoln, who was the United States 16th President from 1861 to 1865.

This time Brad is sitting down with Robert E. Lee, who was General of the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

This is Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the US from 1829 to 1837.

This is Theodore Roosevelt, America's 26th President from 1901 to 1909, a particular favorite of mine as I learned all about him when we were in North Dakota several years ago, when we visited Medora and drove through the national park named after him. He was noted for the impact he had on the National Park system and signed into legislation five national parks; Crater Lake in Oregon, Wind Cave in South Dakota, Sully's Hill in North Dakota (later redesignated a game preserve), Mesa Verde in Colorado and Platt in Oklahoma (now part of Chickasaw National Recreation Area). By the end of 1906 he had proclaimed four national monuments; Devil's Tower in Wyoming, El Moro in New Mexico, Montezuma's Castle and The Petrified Forest, both in Arizona. He also extended that, protecting a large portion of the Grand Canyon in 1908.

The detail on these lookalikes are amazing!

I'll have to thank Brad for taking this photo of Winston Churchill. He was very well respected in my family and I heard about him often growing up in England. So yes, I have a soft spot for him too. His mother - Jennie - was an American and the daughter of a New York businessman. His wife was called Clementine, such a beautiful name. He lived a very adventurous life which you can read about if you click on his name above and was the center of English life for over 70 years.

This is Harry Truman, the 33rd President of the United States, from 1945 to 1953.


Two prominent figures in the Civil Right's Movement, Rosa Parks ....

and Martin Luther King, Jr. We passed an area cordoned off in DC the last time we were there, where they are building the Martin Luther King Memorial. I am not sure when it will be finished.

Now for the movie stars. Here's Brad saying hello to Julia Roberts......

George Clooney.....

Johnny Depp.....
Dwayne Johnson ......

Denzel Washington......
Morgan Freeman......
Tom Cruise and in the background Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.....

Brad chatting to Tom Cruise with Morgan Freeman in the background.....

and the last one with Hilary and Bill Clinton.

Thanks Brad, I think your Dad and I might be visiting this place ourselves next time we got into DC.

I have added this to Best Post Of The Week where you are asked to share your favorite. You can join in too if you click here.

18 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Great post! I didn't know there was a Madame Tussaud's in DC either. I like how Brad put himself in some of the pictures. Your comments on some of the "people" were interesting too. Wow, I'm the first one to leave a comment for a change!

Wendy said...

What a lot of cool pics! They look so real!! Nice that Brad was in the pics with the "stars".

I absolutely love your header. It is spring!

A piece of news said...

I had no idea there was one in D.C. The details are amazing. I have visited the War Rooms in London a couple times and each time they added more to it. It's interesting and it would be nice to have a wax Churchill there.

gigihawaii said...

Wow! Incredible likenesses! They look so real. I went to the wax museum in London many years ago, and thought that Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton looked awfully short. Don't know if that was their actual height. Maybe so!

Love your header.

Judy Sheldon-Walker said...

Your detailed commentary and photos were very enjoyable! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your visit.

Ebie said...

OMG! they look so real! I have only seen probably three or four here on Hollywood Blvd, for free, did not go inside though.

Sometimes, when you are just one train stop away, you always put it off. I better make plans.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Wow---they make those 'wax' figures look so real, Denise... Your son got some great pictures. And --I'm sure you all will be going there yourself sometime.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cloudia said...

Rosa! That touched me....



Aloha from Hawaii D

Comfort Spiral

Sunny said...

Super pictures. I went to Madame Tussaud's in London when I was a little girl.
It's really amazing how lifelike the figures are.
That's the first time I've seen Bill and Hillary together for a while. (ha-ha!)
Sunny :)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I love how you can get up close and personal with the figures. I would have thought there would be barriers in front of them?

Gill

diane said...

They are so life like. I visited the one in London years ago. Thanks for the tour.

Mumsy said...

Those are amazing photos, and the details are just remarkable!

Beautiful header, love that color.

maryt/theteach said...

Marveous shots! So glad your son got real close-ups. The figures look so life-like! :)

Margaret Cloud said...

Very interesting post, I like the way you talked about each picture. This is amazing, how thy look so real to life. Thanks for sharing this.

Craver Vii said...

They didn't have a Craver-Vii, did they?

Roy said...

It was great to see the one of Churchill Denise, thanks, but I would prefer to see Julia Roberts in the flesh (metaphorically speaking of course) {:))

Granny Anne said...

Lovely pictures. Interesting to see the American version. Love your header.

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

These photos really show the quality of the figures, and the openness of the setting! They make me want to go there...and, of course, pose with some of the figures just as your son did! Thanks for sharing these.