Monday, April 26, 2010

My World Tuesday Season # 2 Episode # 29


Today I would like to share photographs Gregg and I took on our drive this past Sunday, when we headed out towards Leesburg. We have driven by this church many times and have always said we would like to take photos of it sometime. Today we stopped to do just that.

Built in 1878 it is actually located on Route 15, eight miles south of Leesburg and is near the Oatlands Plantation.


We would like to have taken a look inside but there was a sign on the door saying 'No Trespassing'. We weren't sure if that meant the whole area, so after we took a few more photos we thought it prudent to go back to our car and be on our way.


The grounds were very pretty.


Next door is the Parish Hall built later than the church but I couldn't find a date telling us when.

There was a magnificent dogwood tree on the grounds, and we couldn't help but admire it.

This is the sign as you enter the town of Waterford. It was originally settled by Quakers and the homes in the town center are lovely, but this time we just touched on the outskirts.



Gregg took the photos of the houses and this beautiful tree in the front of the home above. At first I identified this as a Lilac but JJ corrected me and said she thought it was a Wisteria. When I studied it a little more closely I realized the difference. Thanks JJ. You can see JJ's super blog if you click right here.
I enjoyed taking photos of the Mustard Grass and Dandelions getting ready to release their seeds when the next breeze came through.



We drove by a field and now you know where I got my header photo from. Adorable donkey's aren't they?

They were curious when I walked up to the fence and posed very nicely for me.

When I was very young, around nine years of age, I always visited a donkey on my way home from school. He taught me a valuable lesson on the correct way to feed animals. Which was, never offer food with your fingers thrust forward, because mine were chomped down on and I never forgot the pain of it. I figured out very quickly after that, that you offered the food on the palm of your hand and from then on I loved how the donkey's muzzle tickled as he ate whatever I had to offer. I usually packed a couple of carrots in my bag, which Mum always seemed to have in the pantry.

We came across another critter dressed for the weather. It was supposed to rain quite a bit, but thankfully we only had a few sprinkles.

And what's this?
The guardian of the bird box.

The rag dolls stared at us too....

but by this time we were ready to turn around and head back home.


-->
Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia for hosting My World.


36 comments:

  1. I've been to Leesburg love the area but I don't like no trespassing signs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leesburg is a lovely spot. These shots are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place! I've heard of Leesburg, but have never been there -- well, until now! Your photos are delightful and make a beautiful tour in themselves! Hope You have a great week, Denise!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of lovely pictures of the church and of course all the colourful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise: That was a neat look around your area of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise this is such a lovely post. I love old homes and take photos often. I enjoyed those beautiful flowers. The church sure is in good shape for being that old. Thank you for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual, I love your photos. It's so fun to explore on Sundays. You found some pretty interesting things to photograph.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful part of our country! There is definitely that "little town" charm showing in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aloha,

    i enjoyed your post today, the whole tour was fun including the photos and story about your donkey experience....ouch!

    thanks for sharing your world today.

    viva la france is going on in my sari blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to Leesburg, but through your beautiful photos I see its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The church grounds are really really nicely maintained. Loved your yard figures and the donkeys.

    I also learned the hard way how feed horses and donkeys from my hand. I have never forgot that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photo story, Denise! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely charming place. All the photographs are great and that is a beautiful church and Parish hall. I'll admit that it annoys me for the Church to have a no trespassing sign. I found a web site about the church online because I thought maybe the Church was no longer functioning as a Church but it is indeed still an active Church. I understand that Churches are not immune to theft and other problems but the idea of a no trespassing sign bugs me. What do you need, an appointment to go there, ha.

    If I seem a little excitable about this issue it's probably because my Dad was the Rector of an Episcopal Church (he died some years ago). For much of my youth he insisted on the chapel being unlocked all the time although they did lock the main church and parish hall when no one was there. After vandals did their worse on the Chapel, he finally gave in and had it locked at night although it bothered him that they couldn't at least have one place people could go for prayer and sanctuary after hours.

    I get that they have to lock churches but the idea of a no trespassing sign irks the heck out of me and I'm not even a regular church goer at this point in my life. It just seems to me to be the opposite of what a church should be (putting up a barrier to visitors).

    Sorry for ranting on the comments for you blog. I did enjoy the post and all your beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Denise, you out done yourself! What a great place to take some photographs! The "guardian" reminds me of Mr Tin Man.

    What a lovely tour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There were lovely and such a nice place. and also these photos are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely trip, the kind of drive I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really enjoyed my day out with you Denise - thanks but .........
    surely that tree is a wisteria and not a lilac????
    I stand ready to be corrected but lilac flowers point up - don't they??
    JJ
    X

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely Denise. The little church and surroundings is so pretty. Loved the photos of the donkeys too and the wet weather guy made me laugh. Thanks for sharing. A x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tour of your world. I always love seeing new places. It looks quiet and peaceful in this area. The donkeys look well fed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Denise,
    What a wonderful world you have!Cute donkies for sure, I'm also enchanted by that lovely church and the bell, all delicate and beautiful flowers at the field, and the charming houses...everything is lovely there!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a tiny little church, but so pretty. In fact, the whole area is lovely - wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An absolutely delightful post! Every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi-ho the dairy-o, the farmer-in-the-dell! (who knows how its really spelled, do you know the song?) wonderful pictures, so idyllic save for the "No trespssing" signs. Seems like an oxymoron to have that on the church. Love the tin man and the Farmer in the Dell! I also love the donkey story! Oh, and the screen door picture. Love the door.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for taking us on your ride to Leesburg, Denise. I love that little Anglican church. How gorgeous.. AND the spring colors/flowers/trees were all just beautiful... What a gorgeous area of your world.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun your drive seemed to be! It's very peaceful and sweet to see.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You were very near to where we were when we visited Bob's brother and our sister-in-law. They lived in Purcellville. I've always loved the architecture of the houses in Leesburg, as well as Rt. 9 (I think) in Hillsboro.

    ReplyDelete
  27. P.S. We really miss visiting Bob's brother and our sister-in-law. Our last trip to their home was in November 2009. We're looking forward to seeing them next month, though, in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous way to spend a day. What wonderful sights to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad you took us along on your drive! What a beautiful spring you're having. The funny thing is I photographed that same duck here in Denver and used it in a post in March. It must be traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely photos. I liked the duck dressed for wet weather and the rag dolls - I like quirky!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a pretty church. I wish mine was just a little more aesthetically pleasing. It's too plain and functional for my tastes, but the ministries that happen there, make up for the boring, practical exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like this post...got to leave it open till I can come back and enlarge photos later. You got a treasure trove here.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i dont see the point

    ReplyDelete
  34. i am hobby potographer, any chance you would like to use some of my photographs? i think it would be neat and fit on your cms :-)
    really enjoy your site structure! send me a mail please in case you want to colaborate

    ReplyDelete