Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's raining today......

And who art thou? said I to the soft-falling shower…

I am the Poem of Earth, said the voice of the rain,…

~From The Voice of the Rain by Walt Whitman, "Leaves of Grass"~


It's been a fast week. I have spent time with family and with good friends. What more could one ask for? I have also done some spring cleaning, not so exciting but a necessary, much needed chore and I love the satisfaction of seeing tidy bookshelves and books free of dust. We have so many books in this house we could open our own library, and we have finally come to the realization that we need to get rid of some.

Yesterday I got my hair done and for the first time I was asked if I wanted a 'little color.' I guess she saw that gray starting to come in but I told her, "I like my gray hair, I earned every one of them!" She was a nice young lady from Vietnam and she gave me the greatest cut I have had in a while. I will probably go back.

I will let you in on a secret, I hate getting my hair done with a passion. I don't know what it is but I think the last time I got a cut was about four months' ago. I don't go to any particular salon. I like the Hair Cuttery because if I see one in an area I find myself in, and when the whim takes hold I can just walk right in. It is also when I look in the mirror and say, "Oh my Lord", then that's when I might start thinking of it. My hair always gets far too long. Gregg always says, "I like your hair long" but I'm 60 this year and my refrain to him is "....not a Spring Chicken any more Honey." to which he will say, "It's all in the attitude." Well, maybe but my aching joints tell another story and yes I am smiling.


Off to have lunch with friends today and Gregg has just gone off to McDonalds for his MickeyD breakfast biscuit.

Whatever you're doing I hope you all have a great weekend.




13 comments:

  1. You are brave to do walk in cuts. My long time hait cutter retired, and I'm still not quite happy with her replacement. Maybe I should go shopping for a new salon, but I hate that. I always schedule my next appointment before I leave the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to go get my hair cut too and sometimes I cut away at it myself until I mess it up enough that I have to make an appointment.

    We have many, many bookcases full of books and my latest decision is to try and just keep the books that we re-read. That will cut down on some of the hoard.

    Our rain left last night and today we have blue sky and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, I know exactly what you mean about getting your hair cut... After years and years of fighting it, I finally found a gal (not far from where we live) whom I like... My hair is straight and I wear it short (as you can tell from my pictures)... This is the first person I have found who can cut it really good... I go back every 5-6 weeks to her..... IF she ever leaves I'll probably move with her... ha ha

    We had your rain yesterday---but it's been cloudy and threatening here again today. It's not cold--but certainly not very warm either. Our crocuses are beginning to bloom--but that is all so far of our spring flowers.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too hate to go to the beauty shop and have my hair worked on...
    My beautician is a personal friend of mine, but sadly to say, I try to stay away from her salon, since she's one of these who likes to try new stuff on my hair!
    If you look on my blog, mine is now down to my waist, and I am knocking on that 60yr old door too, I think it's time to get it trimmed :)
    It's raining here today also, but the flowers love it.
    Have agreat weeknd Denise !
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piccy and words.
    Hair cuts, I walk in say number 4 and thats it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am low maintenance like that too - I might get my hair cut once a year and I just trim my bangs myself.

    Rainy and cold here too - but I just made amazingly good carrot cake muffins - makes the kitchen smell so good!

    Have fun at your lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Denise,
    Your posts and stories always bring me a beautiful smile, thanks so much!
    Lovely day, I'm sure that you hair cut is okay, in fact I'm really curious about your new look!For sure you are wonderful!
    So glad to know about your perfect day!
    enjoy your Sunday!
    hugs
    Léia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is not easy to find someone who cuts your hair JUST right! Lucky you! Have a week as great as your last one...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so funny about your grey. I went completely grey by the time I was 40, and every new hairdresser I go to suggests that I colour it. I'm happy with the way it is! Besides, as a Scot I resent paying good money for something that doesn't last...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you about having my hair done Denise - I really dislike it. I do have it trimmed about every 5 weeks though, simply because it is a short style. I know what you mean too about the aching joints!! It is Sunday evening here now so hope you have had a pleasant weekend. A x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to "meet" you, Denise. I think the only difference between a good and bad cut is a couple of weeks. I keep mine very short and since I'll soon be 65, it's been gray for awhile now. I wear mine choppy and spiky, so even a bad cut sometimes turns out OK! I'm having mine cut this Tues - keep your fingers crossed. PS My son's named Gregg - spelled the same way as your Hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang on to your good hair-cutter, Denise. I go to the hairdresser when I have to - or actually, long after I should have gone.
    My hair is growing longer again and I've gone back to colouring it myself - much cheaper and less time-consuming.

    ReplyDelete