Friday, March 12, 2010

Camera Critters

Part 5 and the last post from Sunday's walk. It was a lovely ending to the day to find so many deer. We were surprised to see them out this early, but perhaps with the snow now gone they are catching up on some much needed dining.

How The Deer Got Its Spots

In the beginning The Great Spirit made the earth.
Then he made the animals.
The animals were all different, big and small, fierce and mild.
He loved them all so he gave them gifts to help them survive.

He gave the bear sharp teeth and claws.
He gave the wolf silent paws.
He gave the deer superior speed.
He gave tortoise a shell. He gave porcupine quills.
Then he went to rest beyond the hills.

But a mother led her wobbly-legged fawn
Into the presence of He-Who-Made-Dawn.
"Oh Wise One" she said, "You have given all of the animals
wonderful gifts to help them survive,
But what will become of my wobbly-legged child?
She cannot yet run fast like me.
Our enemies will catch her easily."

So with some paint made from the earth,
The Great Spirit painted earth-colored spots on the tiny deer.
"You will be invisible," he told the fawn.
"Stand still as a stone until your enemy is gone."

Bye-bye sweet things, see you next time.

I would like to identify the origins of the words above. It is Native American and if you have any more information please let me know so that I can give due credit.

Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn.

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely deer and post, Denise! Just saw the photo of your handsome father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super piccies and words Denise XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great deer post, Denise. We saw alot of deer when we were at Mt. Nebo... They seemed almost friendly enough to walk up to the car.. I've never seen deer which were not so afraid of people before. I guess alot of people feed them up there.

    Great post--and a terrific walk!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog!

    I spent some time looking through your last posts of nature and deers. So pretty and natural! Added myself to your list! See you! Greetings from Stockholm, Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post today. The story complimented the pictures beautifully! Well done! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how they acknowledged you and looked right into your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another heart touching post.


    Aloha from Hawaii my Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post dear Denise!
    I'm always enchanted by deer!
    I guess they liked your camera!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, great shots of the deer. the second closeup is my favorite. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful story happy weekend!!sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures of deer, and I loved the story of how the deer got its spots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great captures!!! They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great story. I shared it with my daughters. Lovely shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise: How I love the deer and you got excellent captures of the critters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely story ... illustrated beautiful with your wonderful photos!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete