Monday, February 15, 2010

The Mocking Fairy by Walter de la Mare

I am still having trouble visiting some blogs that won't let me publish any comments. I'm sorry about this but I don't know what to do about it other than keep researching and hopefully find a resolution to this problem. So, if you don't see me for a while, you'll know why. I will keep visiting though but I won't be able to say hello to many of you unfortunately :( I can however comment on my own blog now because I changed the comment box setting as you've probably noticed. For some reason this allowed me to leave one. Not sure why that works!

The Mocking Fairy

'Won't you look out of your window, Mrs. Gill?'
Quoth the Fairy, nidding, nodding in the garden;
'Can't you look out of your window, Mrs. Gill?'
Quoth the Fairy, laughing softly in the garden;
But the air was still, the cherry boughs were still,
And the ivy-tod neath the empty sill,
And never from her window looked out Mrs. Gill
On the Fairy shrilly mocking in the garden.

'What have they done with you, you poor Mrs. Gill?'
Quoth the Fairy brightly glancing in the garden;
'Where have they hidden you, you poor old Mrs. Gill?'
Quoth the Fairy dancing lightly in the garden;
But night's faint veil now wrapped the hill,
Stark 'neath the stars stood the dead-still Mill,
And out of her cold cottage never answered Mrs. Gill
The Fairy mimbling, mambling in the garden.

Walter de la Mare

(1873 - 1958)

I took these photos on our last trip to Brookside Gardens in Wheaton, Maryland.

13 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a lovely little gardenhouse, I can imagine children would love it !
The clay pot wind chime is such a quaint idea, I may try that.
I've had the same trouble a few days ago, souldn't leave comments, try clearing your cache ?
Glad to see you posting once again ;)

diane said...

I remember Walter de la Mare from my primary school days, I had that comment trouble on your blog for a while but it seems ok now.

Denise said...

Jo, thank you. I tried but it doesn't seem to have solved my problem.

Diane, just the darned luck. I can't comment on your blog now :( Maybe it is just something that is going to have to resolve itself. I'm going back to blogger today to see what I can find out.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Delightful memories have been sparked by this Walter de la Mare poem and your nifty photos ... thanks for sharing. Glad you can comment on your own blog again. I used to do the same thing when I first started blogging until I realized that not everyone gets email notification of follow up comments and therefore never got to SEE my responses. Actually, with the comment settings the way you have them now there's no way to check a box to receive follow up comments in email, so the only way I'd see your response to a comment of mine would be to revisit this post and check ... if I remembered to do so.
Hugs and blessings,

mommanator said...

love the cottage! neat poem

imac said...

Hope you solve your prob soon my friend.
Nice post.

Wenche said...

Nice cottage and the doorbell was charming :-) It must be nice to sit on the porch and watch the sunset.

Reader Wil said...

What a lovely cottage and beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing. I hope that your comments can be edited soon!

Margaret Cloud said...

The cottage was lovely just as the poem. I enjoyed reading it. I can just imagine someone sitting on the porch admiring the view. Have a nice week.

Denise said...

Happily Retired Gal, so happy for those memories and thank you for your nice comments. I never thought about this not having a box to check for follow up e-mails. Unfortunately this is the only setting right now that I can use that will allow me to reply to comments on my own blog. I'm still at the stage where I go back often enough that I will check responses on different blogs, and just in case I can't leave a comment when I visit theirs, I was hoping they would know I tried my best with no success. Some blogs I can leave a comment and on others I can't. It's usually with the ones that are the full page setting. Scratching my head on that one. Hugs and blessings to you also :)

mommanator, thank you so much, glad you enjoyed them.

imac, thank you dear friend, I hope so too.

Wenche, wouldn't it be lovely?

Reader Wil, thank you, I hope so too :)

Margaret Cloud, I can see myself on that porch. Have a nice week also.

Cloudia said...

try a different web browser like google chrome. easy to download! Great post (as usual)

Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Denise said...

Cloudia, thank you for the advice but I do have Google Chrome. I was thinking of downloading another browser until I realized I had another laptop in the house. When I used that one surprise, surprise, I can now comment on all the blogs I couldn't before. Must have been a browser thing all along but why it should only start that hiccup a few days ago I am still scratching my head over.

Lanny said...

What a lovely little poem, is Mrs. Gill a flower or a fish that the fairy is trying to coax out?