Monday, February 1, 2010

Do I have patience?

Do I have patience? I think I do, I think I do, I think I do! I've been told so by countless people over the years and yet as I get older I think that patience is waning somewhat. I have to work at it a little bit more these days. My sweet Other-Half however seems to be entering his Zen state. How does he do that, I really want to know? I think it is in his genes. His paternal grandmother comes to mind. From what I hear she was an amazing lady whom I would have loved to have met, but then I look at her grandson and know she is still with us in so many ways.

Well, just as I didn't think it could get any colder I thought I would show you what it says on my temperature gage which I keep on my desktop. This is from our closest weather station in Manassas which isn't too far down the road. It said 'minus' at four minutes to seven this a.m. I can't ever remember it being a minus before. I wonder what the weather man will have to say this morning.

It snowed all day here on Saturday. Gregg and I just battened down the hatches and didn't go anywhere that day. It was lovely watching those big dry, fluffy flakes come down for a while and then you could see it turn into a much finer snow with a lot of moisture in it. When it finally stopped it didn't leave as much as a few weeks' ago, maybe six inches and it wasn't too bad shoveling the driveway yesterday morning. Gregg did that and he said it was real easy.

Yesterday we went up to our local bagel place and got a breakfast sandwich, and then went over for a walk around Walney Pond and took lots of lovely snow photos. I'll be sharing those later on when I have them organized. Just what we all need, more snow photos right? Again it was real easy to get around. We felt the crunch of the snow under the tires but the nice man with the snow plow had been through the neighborhood to make life a little easier for us all and once we got up to the main road everything was free and clear.

Our son called up to see how we were doing. He has a day off on Thursday and he will be coming over, which is always nice. Our daughter-in-law is busy going to school. She is a hardworking lady as she also has a couple of dozen piano students she teaches and sings at her church and one other on a Sunday.

I also had a nice chat with my niece in Germany. She got a new job a couple of weeks' ago and she said everyone is so nice and friendly, which was good to hear and she seems to be enjoying it very much. Way to go Hanna!

I hope you all have a good week ahead and I want to thank you for stopping by all the time and making those comments, which are always fun to read.
Woo-hoo! It is now 1 Degree Farenheit!

18 comments:

  1. Now you've got me thinking, Denise. Do I, I'm not too sure about it. Think maybe that I have to work harder at it these days too and I know that very occasionally I fail miserably!

    Love your header picture by the way. A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really would like to have this serenity feeling inside my heart, but it's difficult, mainly when you have some things to do at the same time...
    I think you are "zen" Denise...I really think of it! :)
    God bless you
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I have more patience as I grow older.
    I have reached the stage where I try not to "sweat the small stuff", and funnily enough, it IS all small stuff.
    From reading your blog, I would say you are extremely patient, it takes a lot of effort to photograph all the animals, and beautiful gardens, you do so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is about -20C. That's COLD! I think my patience would be running out if I had to go out in those temperatures and shovel snow. Just as well snow makes everything look pretty to make up for the inconvenience. Do your pipes freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a balmy 17 degrees at my house at 8:53 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patience? With me, not so much. I worked hard to show I had it when I was teaching. Now that I have less stress patience is easier. Tom has patience, except when I don't and I get a little unruly. Does your husband's "zen" ever get to you?
    I woke up too early, so I'm catching up on blogs. It's pitch black outside, but a balmy 42 degrees at 6:30, heading for 50 today. You may have heard that Vancouver, BC, just north of here hasn't enough snow for the Olympics. We've had an El nino winter, our warmest January on record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I mellow as I get older

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think snow falls are pretty to watch. It is the cold I don't like -- and slipping and falling on icy sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strawberry Jam Anne, I think we all do Anne ;) Glad you like the header picture. Dx

    Cezar and Léia, how kind of you to say so Léia. I know what you mean that it is sometimes difficult. God Bless you too :)

    A Brit in Tennessee, that is a good philosophy to follow Jo and thank you for your kind words.

    diane, yes but thankfully we've warmed up some. At 2.06 p.m. it is now 37 deg. F. Our pipes have not frozen - fortunately - since we had to go away one winter many years ago. We were advised to get a hairdryer out and blow hot air on some pipes. It worked!!! Don't know what we would have done if our electricity had been out.

    Linda (PA_shutterbug), and I'm sure it's warmed up a little more since you left this message :)

    Linda Reeder, now when you were a teacher you must have had the patience of a saint ;) Does hubby's 'zen' ever get to me? I'm not telling Linda, he reads this blog - but I think he knows the answer to that question, hahahahaha! Wow, warmest January on record? They'll have to be making snow for the Olympics I expect.

    imac, now that does not surprise me Stuart :)

    gigihawaii, I agree Gigi. It can get very tricky walking around in it but after some pretty nasty falls a few years back I have to pay a lot of attention to where my feet are leading me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe you are a patient woman. It's not always easy, but it seems that if you have found balance in your life, it becomes easier to be a patient person. I can be totally wrong, but it's my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ralph is correctamundo, I'd say. Sending positive vibes your way...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must be in the genes!! I'm on a spare computer and I'd like to stick my foot through the main one!! (lol) I certainly sympathize with you..generally it snows (going by the last couple years of photos) around February & March?? Its not really too cold yet..but the snow falls up in the mountains (Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa). Anyway, I wanted to send some Aloha and do hope you stay warm. My very best, Regina-

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are indeed patient. 20C, that's awful! I try to be, I learn to be each day... teaching kindergarten for 17 years tempered my patience down... teehee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I"m surprised it gets that cold in Virginia! I hope your home is properly insulated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quote you used today is one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, it's on my header! Maybe there are some things you are more patient with than others. It's all relative. Keep warm!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Denise, I have NEVER been patient.. I want what I want YESTERDAY!!!! ha.. BUT--since I started birding, I have to learn to be more patient.

    I still don't have patience when standing in line at the grocery store or waiting at the doctor's office. Even when we go to a restaurant these days, we like FAST service. It's a fast-paced world ---and the best way for me to slow down is to get out and hike in the woods. That works for me!!!!


    It was about 17 degrees here this morning I think--but will gradually warm up this week (I hope). We still have lots of snow and ice here.

    Stay WARM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ran out of patience a long time ago Denise! I put up with -20 degrees for too long. Sadly the cold weather had to follow me down here but they can only blame me this winter! Next winter they're on their own!
    Hope things turn around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Denise -
    Loved your blog on the snow. Our son lives in Reston, so we are thinking of all of you and the snow. Looking at your pix I thought the area looked so much like our house in Vienna (Tamarack neighborhood) then I read about Walney and know you are in beautiful Northern VA. We lived there from 1991-2001. Now we're in (very) rainy So Cal. Best to you all - stay warm. Looking forward to Spring and planting our gardens.

    ReplyDelete