Friday, February 5, 2010

Camera Critters

Batten down the hatches, it's snowing again! In my last post I told you about our impending snowstorm. It started at around 10.30 a.m. this morning and it is now 12.59 p.m. according to my clock on the computer. Not so bad right now as it is not sticking to the roads. Hopefully people will be able to get home from work early before it gets really heavy. Safe trip home to all those traveling today.

Our son Brad had the day off from work so he came over yesterday and I made lunch for the three of us. It was nice chatting over our meal catching up on what we had all been doing since the last time he came over. His wife Lisa was at school working hard.

I won't be getting together with the girls this weekend, the second time we have had to cancel since the weather, so we have been phone calling and e-mailing instead.

Another friend is due to become a grandmother again any time now. The baby was due last Monday, so because of the weather she is packing up today and moving in with her daughter and son-in-law until the baby arrives. They figured there would be no way she could dig herself out of her driveway if she suddenly had to head out to the hospital over the weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing about his arrival and I hope he holds off for their sakes until the storm is over and the roads are clear.

My photos today were taken near the visitors' center at Walney Pond last Sunday. We found several bird feeders and there was a lot of activity from our feathered friends. This White-Breasted Nuthatch was the first bird I saw on a nearby tree trunk.


The Red-Bellied Woodpecker was on another.




This bird feeder was the busiest one of the lot. On it you can make out a White-throated Sparrow, male and female Cardinal, and the same Red-Bellied Woodpecker.



The Woodpecker didn't hang around for long. He would pick up his seeds and fly off into the trees to eat them, then come back and start the process all over again while the other birds continued feeding.



They were very enjoyable to watch and they all seemed to get along.



The Male Cardinal was the last to go....


and when he left it was time for us to move on too.



Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn.

35 comments:

  1. lovely birds! I have never seen a woodpecker in Hawaii. Cardinals we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. It's snowing here at the moment, saying we could get anywhere from 5 to 10 inches. Guess we will wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Denise, I have been thinking about you... Looks like your storm is going to worse than was first thought. Please be careful.. It could be HORRIBLE there.

    Love your bird photos... I hope someone feeds those precious critters during the blizzard. Scary!!!

    Please keep us posted if you keep your electricity.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cheerful the birds in the wild, not like a bird in a cage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little Titmouse looks a bit drab in comparison to your birds. Great series of photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures. I hope the snow isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sunny pictures of the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bird pics! Gook luck in the impending snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're weathering the storm with no problems. Beautiful bird shots! The scenes look springy, even if the weather is not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gigihawaii, I remember the Cardinals I saw when I visited Hawaii. You have some beautiful birds out there.

    Patty, thank you. Is it still snowing where you are? Here it has been coming down steadily since yesterday morning, and promises a full day. It will be interesting to see how much we finally get.

    Betsy from Tennessee, how sweet of you. I will be careful I promise and am happy you enjoyed my bird photos. I'll be doing my part in feeding our critters. Our electricity cut out last night for a few hours but thankfully when we woke up this morning it was back on again.

    tikno, hello and thank you for visiting. I agree with your comment.

    Stephany, I shall enjoy visiting your little Titmouse after I have finished here. Thank you for your kind comments.

    Yogi, thank you on both counts.

    April, thank you.

    Linda Reeder, thank you too, on both counts.

    Janie, all tucked safely inside and watching the snow fall. Can't help but feel how beautiful it is but I know it can cause a lot of trouble for people and animals alike. I just hope everyone will be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..beautiful birds pictures! spring is going to come around, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi.. great pictures u have here...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise, you certainly captured these birds well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise, wonderful shots of the birds. Those feeder are pretty popular with the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful birds - so colourful. Nice idea to set out feeders around the visitors' centre.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful series of shots Denise!
    That red cardinal really stands out this time of year.
    Hope the snow hasn't been too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky we are to have the alternative of 'electronic' visits when weather prohibits getting together for 'real' ... I do enjoy viewing the beautiful variety of birds that inhabit your world! Hope the snow storm doesn't cause any serious damage!
    Hugs and blessings,
    Small Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those little birds know where to find food! How beautiful they are! Your photos are so crisp and sharp...I, especially, like the first photo...what a beauty that one is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such wonderfully colorful birds. I hope you aren't covered in too much snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are adorable Denise, thanks for sharing!
    Hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos! I have some up today with the dogs and the snow. We sure are getting hammered!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Denise: Beautiful captures of the birds at the feeder. Watch out for all the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cardinals...especially the male is just too beautiful for words!!!

    Here is my C C...do hope you can stop by sometime today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such pretty birds. You did well with the pictures catching them in full action, which I guess is not to easy seeing all the "bird traffic"!
    I hope spring will be around the corner somewhere. February is still a very cold month in the Northern Hemisphere, is it not? Like here February is always a very hot and humid month if we are lucky also with rain.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Denise - Boy what a snow this time! Two plows are in the street in front of my house - they are actually having to haul some of it away! I think we have over 2 ft.
    Walney Pond is very close to my daughter's house in Chantilly. Lovely pix.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think we got more like 12 to 14 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! I love the birds. Awesome colors.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cardinals are beautiful birds. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are fantastic! I love how vivid the colors are -- especially on the red one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the nuthatch shot! Such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your bird photos... I hope someone feeds those precious critters during the blizzard. Scary!!!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete