Friday, February 26, 2010

Camera Critters # 99


-->Lessons we can learn from a Goose.

When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.


-->
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.
-->As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.


People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.
When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.


It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek.
I found this information here.
These photos were taken by me at Huntley Meadows Park, Alexandria, Virginia.

Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn.

27 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What great pictures of the geese and very good thoughts to go along with the pictures.

Callie said...

Wonderful photos! I love geese and I love to listen to them when they fly over our house.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Kathy said...

What a great narration to go along with the pictures. I never knew that's why geese flew in formation. Thanks for the lesson!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Very interesting, Denise... I knew some of this info about the Canada geese--but not all. They are such beautiful birds. We humans could learn from them, couldn't we???

We've had a great time in Arkansas ---and really nice weather. But--I'll be glad to get home soon.

Hugs,
Betsy

jabblog said...

What interesting facts - I've always loved geese and shall look at and listen to them with renewed interest now.

diane said...

What a great post. The photos are wonderful and the lesson very interesting. Honk! Honk!

Reader Wil said...

Brilliant post, Denise! I learned something today which I didn't know about geese. Your thoughts about this subject are very great. We have to care for each other and to give up leadership once in a while. Let others do the job and follow. Another time it's your turn to lead the gaggle. Your photos are excellent.

ascu75 aka Don said...

nice piccies Denise, Looks cold there we have lost our snow hope yours goes soon ,XXX Don

Roy said...

Nice photos Denise and wonderful sentiments.

CambridgeLady said...

More wonderful photographs Denise.

You are this week's expert Mystery Picture spotter! Do come and collect your awards :o)

Pamela said...

Hi Denise,

Thanks for visiting my blog. Lovely to meet you. Your photographs are just beautiful and I loved the Krispy Kreme tour - we loved their doughnuts in Virginia but can't get them up here in Rhode Island - that was a little walk down memory lane as we were always fascinated by the conveyor-belt icing station!

I enjoy browsing your blog today and I'll be back again.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, lessons of life from a goose. All sorts of information to learn and some great photos.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful shots of the geese in flight and on the ground.

Catpriestess said...

My first time visiting your blog and I just loved this post. I'm going to send it to my friends and family. A beautiful lesson to incorporate once again from animals and the pictures really emphasized the beauty. Thank you.

JJ said...

Denise that is one of the most beautiful posts in words and pictures that I have seen since I started blogging.
Thank you
JJ
X

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: What a neat post with a lot of great info and photos.

Aethernaut said...

I particularly like the idea of honking encouraging honks! I am going to take that particular lesson to heart :)

Brooke said...

I positively love the narration along with these photos. Fabulous lessons.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Wonderful post, Denise! We can learn so much from nature, can't we?

James said...

I love seeing geese flying in formation high above. They make quite a mess on the ground though. The geese in the narration are much nicer than the ones around here. I've seen wounded geese all alone on more than one occasion.
They are nice thoughts and I enjoyed the pictures. :)

Titania said...

Hi Denise, They are certainly not "silly"! Great information about the geese. The pictures are formidable too. I wonder who invented the saying "silly goose" it is not true to me they are pretty sophisticated. They are beautiful birds. It sounds sad and uplifting when one is not able to fly any more, two are staying with the injured bird. I have read a long time ago a book about the life of the Canada geese. It was very touching, unfortunately I can not remember the author nor the title.

Michael said...

These are great goose pis thanks for sharing.

Carolyn Ford said...

I really the the second to last photo! The lone goose in flight is beautiful!

Gattina said...

Didn't know that. Humans should take example !

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I loved this Denise, thank you - we could all learn from geese I think. Lovely creatures. A x

Regina said...

Amazing creature!
Thank you for the info.
Beautiful shots.

Small Reflections said...

What a marvelous inspirational post with lovely photographic illustrations! We have much to learn from nature don't we. Thanks so much for sharing ;-)
Hugs and blessings,