Sunday, December 6, 2009

We had a visit from Ralphy today. Remember Ralphy?


I love Ralphy. We have known him for many years, ever since our own son was little more than a toddler. Each Christmas, at his mother's request, we have watched Ralphy painfully and reluctantly put on his aunt's gift on Christmas morning, the bunny suit she made for him. It has become our traditional Christmas movie.

A few weeks ago who do you think I saw hanging up in the Hallmark store with the rest of the ornaments? Ralphy! I didn't hesitate and when I left he was heading home with me. I left the leg lamp ornament. Just like Ralphy's mom, it just wasn't my 'cup of tea'.

The movie was made in 1983 but is set in the 1940's and revolves around a young boy and his family who live in a small Indiana town. One of my favorite actors Darren McGavin plays Old Man Parker, Ralphy's Dad (you've got to love that lamp scene) and Mrs. Dillon was played beautifully by Melinda Dillon. Ralphy, my little pal, was played by Peter Billingsley.

I found this video on YouTube which shows the bunny scene.




Don't go Ralphy, hang around for a while, at least until after Christmas.

15 comments:

Kay said...

I have never heard of this movie but I feel so sorry for that poor little boy. I think I need to see the rest of that story to fully appreciate it.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

Poor Ralphy and poor all the Ralphys in the world whose mommas think they look cute in costumes like that. It sounds like you have seen that movie come to life more than once.

Roy said...

Ralphy looks really enthusiastic about having to wear that outfit Denise. Who knows what untold psychological damage this could do to him in later years having to do this. {:)))

Eve said...

How cute! Morgan's favorite Christmas movie!

Gill - That British Woman said...

you know I too have never heard of this movie, will have to look into it.......

Gill in Canada

diane said...

I haven't heard of the movie either. Poor kid, at least it would keep him warm. Parents here sometimes get their kids tigger suits etc for fancy dress parties when it is summer???I could never understand that.

me ann my camera said...

I want to say, what a charming, unique gift and hoe wonderful for there to be s movie to watch about it. Thst clarifys the bunny suit doesn;t it/ I love rhe bunny suit. Thr first costume I ever made was a pink bunny suit for my daughter to wear for her first hallowe'en. Other years my two sons both took thrir turns wearing it. I love your post! a very charming Christmas story.Thank you for sharing it. ann

Cezar and Léia said...

wow Denise,
I'm enchanted by your header picture!
So beautiful!
and Ralphy is cute!
Léia

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: I love that show and it was written by a man from Cleveland.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

If my Amy saw that was costume she would bid you for it! Nice and warm for this wintry weather.

CJ xx

tricia said...

Love your header Denise. The fattest, fluffiest, most beautiful snowflakes I've ever seen were in Virginia-- and I grew up in snow country so I had a lot to compare them to. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning-- and thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to come by my place. I hope the day is kind to you.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I've never heard of the movie either. I wouldn't mind little girls in my family wearing that costume, but a boy .. no way! I think I would be as embarrassed as Ralphy and his father.

mommanator said...

O love those kind of stories, such great memories!

Kathiesbirds said...

Denise, I know so many people love this movie, but I just don't enjoy it. My favorites are White Christmas, Christmas in CT and The Homecoming. Still, it's nice to know that you have a holiday movie that helps you get in the Christmas spirit. I hope you enjoy it again this year! BTW, I love your header photo! It alone gets me in the Christmas spirit!

Denise said...

Thanks for all the feed-back everyone. Enjoyed reading all your comments.