Monday, December 7, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup


You have probably noticed the cooking blogs in my sidebar. All the ones there are favorites and when I am in the mood and want to spend some time in the kitchen, I will browse through them and find a good recipe. I thought I was coming down with a cold this week as I was super tired and had a hint of the sniffles, and when I happened upon one word in the post describing it as 'medicinal' and that it was her grandmother's recipe, I looked no further. It sounded delicious and I wanted to make it before the cold took hold so that we would have something nourishing and wholesome to eat for a couple of days or so, just in case. My cold didn't actually get any worse and maybe this soup helped, I like to think so. It surely was very comforting and I can honestly say it is one of the best soups I have ever made, and I would like to thank Snooty Primadona for sharing her grandmother's recipe.

You can see her actual recipe here over at "Snooty Primadona's Guide to Cooking Like a Diva....'

Here it is, Grandmother Mimi's Medicinal Home-Made Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

For the broth:

3 to 4 stalks of celery (with the leaves), coarsely chopped
1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
4 to 5 green onions
8 to 10 cloves of garlic, halved
1 whole bay leaf
1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt
1 whole chicken
8 cups water

Directions:

In the morning start the broth by filling a large stockpot with water. Add all the broth ingredients.

Bring it almost to a boil but reduce heat to a simmer before it does. It needs to simmer very slowly without boiling. Three to four hours should be enough but a little extra time doesn't hurt. I left it on the stove top for five hours because I had a whole lot of other things to do that day.

When the stock is ready, carefully remove the chicken and put it on a large plate. You can put it in the fridge until it is cool enough to handle. Tear the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and put back in the fridge until you are ready to add it back to the broth. At this point I put the pot of broth in the fridge too. Once the broth is cold enough for the fat to solidify on the surface, you can scrape it off with a large slotted spoon.

Next I get a big empty bowl and place a large strainer over the top - I have one that hooks over the top of my bowl. Pour the broth through the strainer. Snooty PrimaDona suggests that you can add the veggies to your compost pile. If I had one I would have. Rinse the stockpot and return the broth to the pot.

Now you're ready to make the actual soup.

Chicken Noodle Soup:

Ingredients:

2 to 3 stalks of celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 package baby carrots, sliced and chopped (or use shredded carrots, chopped)
1 package fresh mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
5 to 6 garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoons butter
8 cups of the broth you previously made (or use 2 cartons of organic chicken broth)
2 teaspoons of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of black peppercorns, ground
1/2 package of egg noodles

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and sauté onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic until onion is almost transparent, stirring frequently.

Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook the vegetables for at least 1-1/2 hours or until they are tender.

Add the chicken, chopped parsley, salt and pepper and allow to simmer a while longer.

Boil the egg noodles in another pan and set aside (Snooty Primadona suggests doing this as she said the noodles soak up too much liquid otherwise). Place the drained noodles in the bottom of the bowl and pour the soup on top.

She suggested serving it with healthy crackers or a sourdough bread. I made a cornbread because when I mentioned making some Gregg's eyes lit up. It's been a while!

She forgot to add the parsley and so did I but instead of parsley I used cilantro, only because we love the taste of it. I added it after everything was cooked and it was fine. I also forgot to buy some green onions and just used the yellow onions. I didn't have Kosher salt and used regular, bought wide egg noodles and also bought already sliced mushrooms and baby carrots which I sliced but didn't chop, because by that time I was telling myself that our grandmothers must have been saints to spend this much time in the kitchen, making everything from scratch. I was also fighting off that cold, energy level was definitely flagging and I trying to save myself a few steps. Didn't have quite as many cloves of garlic because I thought I had more but didn't. My recipe also didn't have as much broth and maybe that was due to the fact that I simmered it a little longer, not sure. I will probably add extra water when I start the process. It all tasted delicious but next time I will stick to the recipe more.

Gregg loved this soup and said it was the best I had ever made, so thank you Snooty Primadona, and your Grandmother Mimi too. She must have been an amazing cook. I'm going to be making this recipe a lot I can see. It was a big hit with both of us.

16 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Oooh sounds absolutely delicious !
i'm going to give it a whirl later on in the week.
Thanks for sharing the recipe, and so diligently typing it in easy to follow steps.
Yum ;)

gigihawaii said...

Sounds like a lot of work, but, boy, it looks delicious!

Cathy said...

Hello Denise
I think you cook like me - didn't have this so used that lol
What exactly are green onions? I've never heard of them but then they could be something we have but not known as that. Is there an English/Australian equivalent?
I must say it looked good enough to eat when you'd finished
Take care
Cathy

Stine in Ontario said...

Mmmmmm. Chicken soup is such a great comfort food. This recipe sounds especially good.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is one thing I have never ever embraced since moving to this side of the pond, Chicken Noodle soup, I will have it if there is nothing else, otherwise forget it!!

Gill in Canada

Cezar and Léia said...

hummm it looks delicious!
I'm taking my notes right now!
Hugs
Léia

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

The soup looks delicious; reminds me of Mom. She made soup, but not chicken noodle soup. Mom made vegetable beef soup from scratch.

The Prodigal Tourist said...

I feel better just looking at the photo...yum!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Home-made Chicken Noodle soup is the CURE for anything. There's just nothing better. You found a great recipe!!!! Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

magiceye said...

seems deliciously yummy...
and warming!

Grace and Bradley said...

It is 11:30 at night and I ate my dinner at 6 pm, you made me feel so hungry!!! We cook chicken soup much simpler, just a good chicken with chinese mushroom or Chinese ham. But even that is too much for me to cook now at almost midnight.

Kay said...

Oh this sounds so yummy and it is so cold here in SoCal today that this would really hit the spot.

Patty said...

WOW, it looks yummy. About the only two soups I make are the chili and also beef vegetable. But this one looks especially good.

Margaret Cloud said...

We love soup in our family and this one deserves a try. Who could resist a good bowl of soup on a cold winters day.

Maria Berg said...

I want to live close to you and come over and have some of it it does look very good, I can almost feel the taste.
Love MB

Have to read about the pink bunny now.

Denise said...

Thank you all so much for all your kind comments on this post. I think I have stopped by all your blogs now and I have answered your question about the green onions which I think maybe you would know them as spring onions? Hopefully that clears it up. It is so chilly around here I might be making it again soon :)