Friday, December 11, 2009

Camera Critters

We found a couple of very entertaining Harbor Seals in the Port of Bandon, Oregon a few weeks ago. They were swimming around in the harbor as we walked by. I have seen seals in places like Sea World and various zoos, but there is nothing like the thrill of seeing them happy and playful in their natural habitat.

I found this information on line: The Common Seal (Phoca Vitulina), also known as the Harbor Seal or alternately spelled Harbour Seal, is a true seal found along temperate and Arctic marine coastlines of the northern hemisphere. They are found in coastal waters of the northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, as well as those of the Baltic and North Seas, making them the most wide-ranging of the pinnipeds (walruses, eared seals and true seals).

Their global population is 400,000 to 500,000 and subspecies in certain habitats are threatened.

Common seals are brown, tan or gray with distinctive V-shaped nostrils. An adult can attain a length of 6.1 feet and a mass of 290 lbs. Females outlive males (30-35 years versus 20-25 years). Common seals stick to familiar resting spots, generally rocky areas where land predators can't reach them, near a steady supply of fish to eat. Males fight over mates underwater. Females mate with the strongest males, then bear single pups which they care for alone. Pups are able to swim and dive within hours of birth, and they grow quickly on their mother's milk.

Camera Critters was created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty!

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

33 comments:

  1. They sure are cute, aren't they? It must be their big round eyes. Such fun photos, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the harbor seals have such cute feaces. Great photos and sighting of the seals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw seals down in Cabo and a wonderful vacation memory is spending the night in Astoria, Oregon and listening to the toot of the boats and the barks of the seals. (I wanted to move there immediately!)

    They are cute animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. Its a thrill to see them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great pictures, they are so cute.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them. I almost posted seals and sea lions today..
    My CC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Seals series shot you made

    My entry this week, in HERE. I hope you have time to visit as well. Thanks.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello sweet Denise!
    Your friends are really adorable and you did perfect shot for this Camera Critters post!
    Well done my friend, have a nice weekend!
    purrs and love
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos! I've always loved seals, they seem like such gentle creatures with their big, soft brown eyes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute photos of the wild seals. I agree, zoos are interesting, but seeing them in the wild is much more exciting. Interesting info on them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seals are so very cuuute - their faces are just so ADORABLE!

    And your header is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry haven't been around much lately, have been so busy, can't seem to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay! aren't they so fun to watch! you're pictures came out well! the are so hard to get photos of when they are in the water, ya never know where they're gonna pop up! i got lucky with the sunning ones! thanks for sharing, i love seals :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this post..your snap shots are great too! I remember arriving in San Franscisco back in 2000 for a visit with my son. I remember those seals at the bay with the snow falling. It was already getting dark. Very memorable feelings this evoked- Hope you have a great weekend busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are wonderful photos! I've only ever seen seals up close at the zoo and Sea World, but what always grabs me is how expressive their eyes are. You are so lucky to see them in their natural habitat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denise: Very cool, now that's a critter I never see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look like they are very fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow a seal that is great to spot them. Thanks for sharing!


    Camera Critters

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sea,l love having its picture taken I think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seals they are so smart. The photos are great. Pinniped thats a new word to learn. I like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are very nice! I love that you got so close! :) They are kissable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! They are so cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my! Great minds think alike. First I saw Jill's, (AKA Johnny Nutcase) and now yours! We have harbor seals in Gloucester harbor, but the are skittish. Mine are from the Monterey, CA area.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such soulful eyes make them look cuddly and approachable - beautiful animals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awwww they are so cute. I would love to see seals in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photographs show how cute the seals are! I like how you decorated your header too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this post made me smile, thanks!Lovely animals.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delightful post! Harbor seals are such fun to watch aren't they? Thanks for dropping by Small Reflections ;-)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  29. about 26 years ago, I saw a seal show at Sea World, the one and only time I have seen a seal. I fell in love and have always wanted to see one. your photos made me smile. thanks for sharing.
    we are very similar in our likes and dislikes, I read your profile, the biggest difference is I only cook if i am FORCED to. and I love TV movies. everything else we are right in line.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Look at those adorable puppy dog faces! We also love to watch and photograph harbor seals, especially around the Monterrey area of California. Beautiful captures, Denise...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think seals are so neat! They seem so full of personality, and they are so cute. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete