Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Watery Wednesday

I took this photo from the passenger side of our rental car as we were making our way out of Seattle and on our way north to Victoria, British Columbia. The water presented a fascinating sight. On one side of the causeway it was tempestuous, choppy, on the other as smooth as glass. There is one thing that is missing from this photo and so focused on the scene I almost missed it. Over the choppy water flying towards us came a big, beautiful bald eagle. He disappeared behind us as fast as he appeared and even though I had my camera at my side, the moment had passed before I could get hold of it in time. He was so close as he flew by and I jerked my head hard while swiveling in my chair to follow his flight. We have never seen an eagle other than those rescued at a zoo and being used for educational programs. To see one soar so freely was almost surreal. We were about 30 feet away. No photo except that contained in our memory. It has taken me 59 years to see my first American Bald Eagle in the 'wild'. It was a thrilling sight. I may not have a photograph but he will be forever indelibly imprinted on my brain. I will never forget him. I hope one day we will see another on our travels and hopefully it won't take another 59 years. If so I think I had better start eating my Wheaties, what do you think? Optimistic? You bet!

Thank you 2sweetnsaxy for hosting Watery Wednesday. To see more like-themed photos you can get there by clicking right here.

15 comments:

Sunny said...

That is quite a picture with the calm and rough water, very interesting.
I have only seen an eagle a couple of times and wasn't fast enough with my camera either time.
Sunny :)

gigihawaii said...

I don't know if the Honolulu Zoo has a bald eagle, but I do know that I have never seen one in the wild. That must have been quite a sight!

jabblog said...

Amazing difference in the water either side of the causeway. It makes an interesting shot.

eileeninmd said...

It is an interesting photo of the water near the causeway. For me Eagle sighting are always amazing. They are an awesome sight to see closeup. Great sighting, sorry you missed the photo.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've seen bald eagles a few times in the wild. They nest on the Arkansas River Bottoms near Tulsa.

Mysterious picture.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I'm sorry that you missed taking a photograph of the eagle.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is so interesting about the water, and pretty unusual as well. Great photo.

Gill

matron said...

You are so lucky to have seen the eagle,I have never seen one.Such a shame you do not have a photo to share with us,but as you say, that vision will stay with you for ever.The picture of the water was amazing,I have never seen anything like it,very weird.

Cezar and Léia said...

A wonderful day no doubt and you took great picture from there!
Léia

Reader Wil said...

Great photo, Denise and what a piece of luck to see an eagle at close quarters!

Denise said...

Sunny, a kindred spirit!

Gigihawaii, it was. I don't remember seeing a bald eagle at Honolulu Zoo when I was there last Christmas.

Jabblog, thank you.

Eileeninmd, thank you and I wonder where you were when you saw those sightings?

Yogi, lucky you, I envy you.

Linda, thank you.

Gill, thank you too.

Matron, I've never seen anything like that either.

Léia, it was and we took many, many pictures which I'll be sharing in future posts.

Reader Wil, thank you, I felt very blessed.

Thanks for visiting everyone. Always great to see you here. I will be stopping by your blogs very soon.

diane said...

That certainly makes an interesting shot with the rough and calm water. Hang onto those amazing memories.

Roy said...

Choppy waters, amazing. You better eat 3 Weetabix Denise.

Barbara said...

Saw your blog at Brit Girl Tennessee. You have some wonderful pictures and this one of the two aspects of the water is quite something.

Love your header.

Denise said...

Diane, I will I promise.

Roy, 3 Weetabix it is.

Barbara, thank you.