Monday, November 30, 2009

My World Tuesday

We had a lovely long walk around Victoria and I was fascinated by this beautiful sculpture, remembering it from our first visit ten years ago. When my curiosity is peaked I love to find out more about the things and places I have seen. A little research revealed later that this lady is called "The Spirit of the Republic", an eight-foot statue across the street from the BC Legislative Buildings. It is a memorial honoring those Canadian Veterans who volunteered to fight in the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. Nearby is a plaque with the title "No pasarán!", which means "They Shall Not Pass". The lush carpet of gold and red leaves of Autumn were a perfect adornment for this beautiful statue.

One thing you will notice around Victoria is that there are many beautifully carved totem poles, which you can also see on the grounds of the Parliament Building. The Songhees or Songish are an indigenous North American Coast Salish people who reside on southeastern Vancouver Island (British Columbia) in the Greater Victoria area. They were here long before Captain James Cook arrived in the late 1700's.

We saw "eagles" everywhere, all the same shape but painted by various local artists, colorful and vibrant. There was also the occasional "whale" and each one was beautifully painted.


There were several street entertainers around the city with a lot of obvious talent. The chalk artist whom you will see in the video had only just gotten started, but he told me that across the road I could see more of his work. He apologetically explained that it had almost disappeared with the rain and foot traffic, as he had made the drawings several days ago. They were very faded but I am happy to say they became sharper in my photographs and I could see that this young man was a true artist.

I saw Darth Vader playing his violin on the other side, and I did something I would never do normally. I marched across and asked for a photo. Gregg was very surprised. He knows me well. After observing for a few minutes I saw other people walking up to Mr. Vader, whereupon they popped some money into his violin case, after which he posed with them. It's a bit of a fuzzy picture but I did this for our son who was a big Star Wars fan, and he and I went to all those movies way back when. As I am very much into my nostalgia kick right now, well...need I say more? Darth Vader for once contained his heavy breathing and behaved himself. Actually, I'm surprised he didn't run in the other direction when he saw this woman of purpose marching straight for him crossing over at the light, but he was so nice and polite and just a lovely young man. He put up with me and I got my picture for our son, so this is for you Brad. Your mother put her inhibitions aside just this once. Thank you Mr. Vader, you're not as scary as I saw you up on the big screen and I didn't have to cup my hands and "booooooo" with the rest of the audience at the very bad man. This one was a sweetie-pie.

Gregg is wondering if I am going to run away with that splendid mama bear. No, I wouldn't do that no matter how much I wanted to. I am a policeman's daughter after all. He's actually probably wondering if I am going to go into the chocolate shop and ask if it is for sale and if it is, how on earth is he going to squeeze that bear inside a suitcase. No problem, I'll just walz through the airport holding it above my head and once we're on the plane I can stuff it into the baggage compartment above our seats. No, on second thoughts I wouldn't do that to Gregg or to the poor flight attendants. They have enough to put up with. I'll just be happy with my photo.

You will also see photos in the video of the inside of a bookstore. Gregg loves nothing better than to browse around a good bookstore.

Munro's Books of Victoria, shown across the street in the photo above is a great one. We stayed in there looking around for ages. Below shows its location.


A video of our walk around Victoria.

video



Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise and Sylvia, for hosting My World. It is a wonderful way to learn about the different parts of the world we live in.

You can see other "My World" photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.


21 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

The sidewalk chalk artist artwork is very good. I've never seen anyone draw on bricks. You had pictures of several sculptures (?) that were elaborately painted. They were very nice. Thank you for sharing your walk around Victoria. I enjoyed the slideshow.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely post and photos, thanks for the tour of Victoria. The sculpture is pretty.

Sylvia K said...

What a marvelous tour of Victoria and your photos are delightful! What fun! Great post! Enjoyed the slideshow, too!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Janie said...

Your photos and the video really gave a flavor of Victoria. Love the sculptures and chalk art. Funny pic with Darth Vader.

Snap said...

How wonderful. I enjoyed your Victoria visit very much! Thanks for taking us along.

Ms. Fiddlesticks said...

Nice to go with you via photos. I love the statue. She is very unique.
DF

J Bar said...

Thanks for showing us around.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Tony said...

Looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the great photos and information.

Rajesh said...

Nice place with beautiful sculptures. I liked "The Spirit of the Republic"

Cloudia said...

You two are wonderful traveling companions; thanks so much for bringing us along.



Aloha, Friend


Comfort Spiral

Sistertex said...

Great post and photos, I really had to laugh at Darth Vader playing the violin! Too funny.

Kay said...

This was so much fun. I remember those eagles when we were there in spring. The artwork on each eagle was so amazing. It's great fun walking around with you.

Grace and Bradley said...

Thanks for taking us with you on this marvelous walk at Victoria. I have heard of the book store and glade to see the inside of it.

magiceye said...

lovely fascinating post!

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Denise:

I love the way you take several pictures of a theme (dogs, flowers, BC) really gives insight into the topic!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise, your post is adorable as usually.
I'm really impressed with that action about Mr. Vader! LOL
Only You!!!
But, in fact my son Gui is also a big fan of the series and besides I'm really shy for this kind of thing I'm wondering now if I also could do it! :)
The picture is brilliant!For sure your son loved it!
Thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful trip!
Léia

squirrel said...

Hi, I haven't visited your blog in a while and just now had a moment. I love your walk around Victoria and the dog blog. They are so cute.

Marites said...

that's an interesting place to wander around. thanks for sharing the tour:) it's lovely! have a nice week!

Happily Retired Gal said...

I enjoyed the virtual tour here today and LOVE that bear ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Evelyn Howard said...

Lovely be able to see more of Victoria. I love the sculpture and Mr Vader!

Denise said...

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.