Monday, November 2, 2009

My World Tuesday

This week I will be sharing photos from our vacation. Here we have arrived in Seattle. I enjoyed their airport and the first thing I noticed was the artwork as we entered the building.

I don't know who the artist is but I love his/her work.

This display was above one of the many stores. I took it because it shows their famous landmark, the Space Needle. I learned on line that the actual Space Needle was inspired by the Stuttgart Tower in Germany. The 605-foot structure was completed in December 1961 and officially opened four months later on the first day of the World's Fair, April 21st, 1962. Even though it was a very misty, rainy day when we visited, we did venture to the top and those photos you can see from my last My World Tuesday post if you click right here.

The Fall colors were wonderful and we enjoyed driving through many tree-lined streets where the leaves were putting on a lovely show. They seemed to be ahead of us in the turning stage compared to what we had seen in Virginia before we left.

Gregg had been to Seattle on business a year before and he wanted to show me an area that he had discovered on that trip. When we drove into Alki it was time to get a bite to eat, it being well into the afternoon. We spotted Duke's Chowder House. The menu was pricier than we expected but after eating a cup of their Dungeness and Bourbon Soup loaded with not only clams but also lots of delicious crab meat (me) and Duke's Award Winning Clam Chowder (Gregg), we thought it was well worth it. They also had the best Sourdough bread we ate on that whole vacation. In fact I can't remember the last time we ate any that tasted that good. We can also highly recommend their Fish and Chips. To top the whole experience our waitress was great, very friendly, and in our book that goes a long way.

Just across the street you are on the water. The ferry is a wonderful way of getting around and as we looked at this one we both said how much we were looking forward to our ride up to Canada the next day. We were out here as a family ten years ago and it was one mode of transportation we were eager to experience again.

As you can see, the sun didn't shine for us on this day or for the short time we were in Seattle, but we couldn't have been happier to be back. There was a crispness to the air that we both enjoyed as we took our walk before returning to our car.

The man in the boat looked like he was having fun and the view of the city was outstanding. Our vacation had started on a very good note as you can see by that Cheshire grin on my face.

Here's Gregg trying to find the road to our hotel. We had booked in at the Holiday Inn. I tried to read the map but I had temporarily mislaid my reading glasses and the lettering on that map was the tiniest. I think even a person with 20/20 vision would have a hard time reading that map. That's my story anyhow. Gregg might have a different viewpoint. Fortunately the traffic light stayed red long enough for him to figure out where we had to go.

We both took a liking to the pink elephant which was rotating ever so slowly advertising a car wash, which wasn't too far from our hotel.

Here's a map showing the city of Seattle....

and here's another one showing where it is located in relation to several cities in the rest of the world.


My thanks to the team for hosting another great meme. You can see great photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

26 comments:

  1. Nice pictures of your vacation in Seattle, liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tour, Denise, and you sure do look happy! I really like the photo of the boater with the cityscape. May I suggest a magnifying glass - at our age, we never leave home without one - it has saved our marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Seattle, Denise! Hope you had a great visit to my lovely home city! Your photos are marvelous! You definitely caught some of the best Seattle has to offer!

    Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are enjoying the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seattle and a good map is a necessity -- especially with all those one way streets! Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Washington state Denise, it is one of the most beautiful parts of the West Coast, IMHO. I'm in the SE corner of the state.

    You look like you enjoyed the visit.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a great trip. You started out right with a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us along!
    Love the pink elephant.

    Aloha, Friend!


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures, great journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying going back to Seattle with you. I'll be looking forward to seeing the next set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i felt like i was tagging along in this trip. great info and photos.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for the whirlwind tour of seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great new header photo Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful vacation pictures, the artwork is amazing.
    Thanks for all the great information, Seattle is one spot I really wanted to visit while 'out west' but never got the chance.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow what a trip!
    Thanks for sharing all information and so beautiful pictures!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great start to your holiday Denise - lovely autumn colours too. I do hope you have a wonderful trip. A X

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks liek you had a great time & good eating too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all so much for visiting and leaving lovely comments. I think I have popped in on all your blogs now, except for Reit. I'm sorry Riet, I just couldn't get into your blog but I will try again. Also, Dirkjogt, I tried to leave a comment on yours but it kept giving me a new 'word' and no matter how many times I retyped the new word and pressed enter, I couldn't post my comment. I will try again later but I do want to thank everyone for stopping by. I am slowly catching up after our vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Think the space needle is a little more known than the pink elephant, but I like the elephant. Guess it probably is a 'turn at the pink elephant' type of landmark.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of nice shots of Seattle. I can never see the tiny print on the maps, either, even with my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you didn't let gray skies stop you from having fun. The "big gray" is just part of life here in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a great time. Will have to check back for more to see what all you did there. Seattle is a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had such fun! I love clam chowder and fish and chips but you can keep the crab! My husband, Gus likes it though. If you say their fish and chips are good that's quite a compliment coming from an English Girl! If you ever go back I can recommend a wonderful nature reserve nearby just a little south of Tacoma. It's called Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge. I have only been there once but it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used to have family in Seattle. I have actually seen that pink elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just that pink elephan, mind you. Not others.

    ReplyDelete