Saturday, October 31, 2009

Camera Critters

On our way home today. We fly out of San Francisco around noon, a short stopover in Los Angeles and then a straight through flight to Virginia. It has been a wonderful vacation but as always happens when I know our trip is coming to an end, I am looking forward to going home in true homing pigeon fashion.

We visited Fisherman's Wharf a couple of days ago. For those who have not visited before, my husband and I are on vacation and have been on a road trip taking in various sights from British Columbia to Monterey, California. Monterey was been very much a nostalgia trip for us as we used to live here for a couple of years back in the early 80's.

I love how the pelicans don't take any notice of you as you walk by. Yes they keep an eye on you to see what you are doing, but you can get some very close shots before going on your way.

I have not been around pelicans in several years. It has been a lot of fun to actually see them other than on the TV in some of my nature shows. A true gift! This one was sitting on the rail next to where several people were getting off a whale watching boat. He had his photo taken many times.

He had his back to me at first and while I was taking photos of another pelican, he turned around to see what I was doing.

One last shot as we left the wharf.

Camera Critters is a wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn. Thank you Misty! You can find other critter photos by clicking here.


17 comments:

  1. Just love those Pelies as they remind me of wonderful holidays in America.
    Monterey was one of my favourite places - the aquarium was awesome!
    On a trip in the everglades the guide asked us what we thought they weighed. Turns out - very little - they are much lighter than they look. Need to google this to find out more - later.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monterey is awesome. Great pictures of the pelicans. I've never been that close to them. I've seen them fly lots of times at South Padre Island. They are very graceful fliers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series of Pelcian photos. They are one of my favorite birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pelicans. We used to live on Galveston Island and every time we visit, I always see at least one brown pelican -- sort of a *welcome back*!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, you've got "out of town" critters this week. Sure looks like you got close to the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first and last photo, you did a great job!

    Here's my Camera Critters entry. Have a spooky one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful shots Denise!
    Glad you made it safely home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a scary Trick n Treat evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pelican shots! I loved to watch the pelicans when we vacationed in St Croix!

    My CC

    ReplyDelete
  10. welcome home, now rest
    great pics as always

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello dear Denise, I hope you have a great trip, now take a break and rest a little bit at home!
    Wonderful pictures!
    Happy Camera Critters
    purrs and love
    Luna and mommy Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Love your marvelous photos of pelicans ;-)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to see Pelies and your photos were great! I'll be in California next. Maybe I will find some. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic photos. I'm surprised you were able to get so close to the pelicans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots of the pelicans, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots of the pelicans they always amaze me with those big bills

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots of the pelicans. I hadn't seen a pelican, not even in a zoo that I recall, until we visited the Outer Banks a couple years ago. I loved watching them fly.

    ReplyDelete