Friday, October 2, 2009

Camera Critters #78

This is a sculpture at Brookside Gardens. I don't know much about its origins, but I have been taking photos of him for several years. Mr. Frog always sits in the same spot - on a bench in the visitors' center - and doesn't seem to mind the occasional biped sitting next to him as they get their photo taken together, but he is always very quiet. They try to coax a word or two out of him, but they are always unsuccessful and don't get as much as a 'ribbit'. Maybe they have tried to tell him that wide-mouthed frog joke one too many times, or maybe it is just that he is reading a really good book.

I took the liberty of adding the last few lines of this poem myself.

Some Frogs - Author Unknown

Some frogs
have their own rocks
where they sit
and think
and wink
and look at the world
and nap
and snap
and pretend to be fierce.
Sometimes, they play hide and seek,
or leap frog.
And in the evenings
they sing.
They sing high
and low
AND LOUD
and soft
blp...
Some pucker their lips and whistle.
And to this very day
some frogs
have their own rocks.
Some,
But not all...

Some sit on a bench and read a book.

Shhhh!!! Don't disturb him,

He'll give you

"The Look!"


A few frog facts.

What do frogs do when they change from a tadpole? Metamorphose.

What is the best way to identify a frog species? To close your eyes and listen to males calling during a rain storm.

Do you know the name for a group of frogs? An army.

Do you know the name for a group of animals including frogs, toads, newts and salamanders? Amphibeans.

Do you know the first Australian frog seen in Europe, collected in 1770 by Sir Joseph Banks on his voyage with Captain Cook? A green tree frog.

Did you know that frogs are good for your health? The green tree frog has glands on its head which produce a drug used by scientists (now made synthetically) to control blood pressure in humans.

Did you know that some tadpoles can stay in the water for over a year before they become frogs. The Wet Tropics Northern Barred Frog has huge tadpoles that remain in water for about two years before they metamorphose into a frog.


Camera Critters is a fun meme created by Misty Dawn. You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

25 comments:

  1. My daughter would love this. She used to collect frog everythings for the longest time. Then she stopped. But now I'm seeing her get frog blankets, frog toys, frog utensils for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that froggie was mine...loved the poem. And the facts..

    Thanks for visiting my blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also mean to say I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous thing to see - someone had a sense of humour when they placed Mr Frog.
    One of my daughters and my daughter-in-law both collected frogabilia for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love this in my hallway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay, my daughter-in-law is a frog collector too. I am fond of the little things but have no collections of them, yet! :)

    Cloudia, thank you and Aloha.

    Rose, me too and thank you.

    Jabblog, most definitely and more frog collectors I see.

    Sandy, I would like him in my hallway too.

    Thank you all for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohmigod, what a cute post, I love frogs and always think of it,I look to see some prince !
    Beautiful post, the poem is so adorable!
    Happy Camera Critters dear Denise!
    Léia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww. i wud like to sit beside mr froggy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of this Denise. I grew very fond of frogs when I had them in my garden pond. A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise

    Its a wonderful poem
    (I love poems ... ;)
    I like also frogs
    they are always so funny ^__^
    Great post,
    Happy Camera critters
    Anya :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep missing some of your delightful posts Denise, I do admire how you manage to post so regularly but I have difficulty keeping up!

    I love the frog poem :) I also loved the Skywatch Friday post and all the beautiful flowers on last Sundays post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a habit of taking a picture of every frog that I see. Sort of a photo colection some are real but most aren't. I would love to come across Mr. Frog.

    Have a great Weekend Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love frogs-- I have been collecting them for years. I like your addition to the poem. Happy weekend Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the verse and the frog is cool. I liked to have him too.
    Thanks for sharing your neat photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun critter post ;--)
    Love the photo and the verse!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely adorable. I would love to see that in person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice and educational as well. There is always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that was such an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful post of a cute frog reading a book. (",)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I learned a few things from your froggie facts. Maybe you got them from Mr. Frog's intriguing book...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let's hope he (she?) is reading a very exciting book, maybe one that is dedicated to himself (herself?).. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, Denise. I'm a little late in stopping by to read your post, but I love it! I enjoyed the poem and the fun frog facts as well as your photo. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete