Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My World Tuesday

Yesterday after dropping a couple of items off at the post office I decided to drive over to Walney Pond to get a little exercise. Before leaving the house I told myself to remember to put the battery back in my camera and also the memory card. The battery I was charging and I had just downloaded some photographs from the card and it was still in the converter. This is the larger camera with the zoom lens attached. I was hoping to spot some birds, which I did - a hawk of some kind and a turkey vulture flying overhead. They would have made nice shots but when I turned my camera on it did nothing, and when I looked inside, no battery and no card. I mentally kicked myself and then at the same time blessed myself as I always carry my pocket camera with me and she was all charged and ready to go, along with the very important camera card. I found the scarecrow looking a bit worn out and the garden at the end of its growing season but worthy of remembing. It was a bit of a dull day and those clouds threatened to rain but it didn't start sprinkling until I reached home.

My Scarecrow

There's an old scarecrow in my backyard,

and he stands there day and night

To me he is very beautiful,

but to others he's a fright.


~Dan Turner~

1969


Have you ever wondered what the history of the scarecrow is? Why is the scarecrow so popular? There are literally hundreds of scarecrow festivals all over the world that are annual events. People really go all out creating their unique scarecrows. Earliest known written fact about scarecrow's was written in 1592. Definition of a scarecrow: That which frightens or is intended to frighten without doing physical harm. Literally that which: Scares away crows, hence the name scarecrow.

In medieval Britain, young boys and girls became live scarecrows or "bird scarers" as they would patrol the fields and chase off birds by waving their arms or throwing stones.

Later, farmers started to lean stuffed sacks of straw with gourd faces against poles.

Immigrants who moved to the United States during the 1800s brought with them a variety of ideas for making scarecrows. In Pennsylvania German farmers built human looking scarecrows called a bootzamon or bogeyman. His body was a wooden cross and his head was a broom or mop top or a cloth bundle stuffed with straw. The bootzamon wore old overalls, a long-sleeved shirt or coat, a worn woolen or straw hat, and a large red hankerchief around his neck. Sometimes a second scarecrow was built to keep the bootzamon company. A bootzafrau or bogeywife, dressed in a long dress or coat and wearing a sunbonnet on her head, was placed on the opposite end of the field. The bootzamon and bootzafrau guarded cornfields, strawberry patches, and cherry orchards.

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

30 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Interesting info about the scarecrow, Denise. Thanks!!!! (I learn so much from you bloggers!!!!)

Isn't it wonderful that we do have that second little camera to carry around also????? I do too!!!! And sometimes the little one takes as good pictures as the fancy one!!! (Or--maybe it's the photographer!!! ha)
Hugs,
Betsy

Viola said...

So much good informations here :) The scarecrow on the photo looks for real! Interesting story. In Norwegian we say "fugleskremsel", which means (directly) "scarebird". We don't use the word "scarecrow"..
Have a very nice day! :)

AL said...

Thank you for sharing Denise, I have learned so much about scarecrows. Farmers in the country also has scarecrows in ricefields, same like the one on your photo. I don't know but sometimes scarecrows gives me creeps LOL or was it just a product of my wild imagination for watching some horror films related to scarecrows.

Sunny said...

Thanks for all the info on scarecrows.
Love your pictures, I remember building scarecrows many years ago with my grandfather in England.
Sunny :)

Denise said...

Betsy, you're welcome and isn't that the truth about the smaller cameras? And much lighter to carry around too.

Viola, how interesting. Thanks for that information. As Betsy said, we learn so much from our other blogging friends.

Al, thank you also for that interesting info on your scarecrows. Yes, I have watched a couple of those movies too ;)

Denise said...

Sunny, thanks for visiting. That sounds like a lovely memory building scarecrows with your grandfather.

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Hi,
First time here... I found your blog as am browsing the bloglandia §;-)
Awesome site.

Loving today's post. Scarecrow for me is fun. As am a country girl, they are so fun to look at. Birds and even wildpigs are scare of scarecrow as well as the kids.

Have a blissful day.

Gunilla said...

WHat an intresting info about the scarecrow. In Swedish Fågelskrämma.
Love your photos.
Thanks for visiting me too

Have a great day

Gunilla

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: That is some neat history and a fun post of the scarecrow.

Cezar and Léia said...

Wonderful post dear Denise! I have never seemed a scarecrow "face to face", It's cute!
Léia

Erin said...

happy tuesdaya denise...that scarecrow looks a lot more interesting than the potato and feather contraptions i saw at stonewall jackson's garden earlier this year...something about a scarecrow that i find intriquing. as to why, couldn't tell you.
have a wonderful day.

J said...

It wasn't just in medieval times, children were hired a bird scarers until the nineteenth century - it's how Hardy's 'Jude the Obsure' opens. (Although frankly it's too depressing to be a recommended read!)

Louise said...

I love scarecrows, but I didn't know they had such a colorful history!

I always forget my whole camera, never mind the parts!

tricia said...

Interesting post-- but really beautiful photos. Thank goodness for the pocket camera!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Lovely photo of the scarecrow, it reminds me of the days when almost everyone in England had a vegetable allotment, and would put the scarecrows in between the rows of veggies.
Lovely post Denise.

√ Abraham Lincoln said...

I hope the scarecrow does the job. I never had any luck with them.

Samson said...

I've learnt so much about scarecrows, thanks for sharing...

Denise said...

Richie, I am happy you found my blog. Thanks for the extra info.

Gunilla, Fågelskrämma? Love finding out the different names of scarecrows. Thank you!

Fishing Guy, thank you.

Léia, I'm glad I introduced you to my scarecrow.

Erin, me to, I find them fascinating.

J, sounds like an interesting book.

Louise, I'm glad someone else forgets their camera. I am not alone!

Tricia, how true!

Jo, aren't those nice memories? My Dad had one of those allotments.

Abe, I think that Scarecrow was doing his job.

Samson, glad you enjoyed it.

Janie said...

Interesting photos of the scarecrow and great info on its origins.
Leaving the camera battery behind sounds like something I would do! Glad you had a substitute.

Kay said...

I love scarecrows. I wish we could see them all year round instead of just in the fall. Why can't we use them for decorating as well as keeping birds out of the gardens? I have one on my front porch right now and he doesn't scare the crows at all (LOL).

Kay

Japa - cbanga360 said...

Very good piece of info about scarecrow. But haven't seen one in our ricefields.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, cool photos and info on the scarecrows.

Margaret Cloud said...

I just love this post, scarecrows are my favorite, I put one out every Halloween, which reminds me, I have to mend his jacket, just love Holloween. Thank you for this very interesting post and your photos were very nice.

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Scarecrows are BIG around here but that's probably because I live in a farming area.

Lawstude said...

being a farmland, my place has lots of scarecrows of different sizes and shapes. maybe ill do a post of them one of these days. :) as always, you gave us great shots. thanks for sharing.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Thank you for sharing information about the origins of scarecrows. That was an interesting read, accompanied by good photographs.

Cloudia said...

You unveil the deeper beauty in comon things, Denise!



Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

JOE TODD said...

Thanks for the post. I did a little research and found there is a scarecrow festival in a near by town. I missed it this year but won't next.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for that history. That was interesting. Beautiful post.

Snap said...

I love the scarecrows and the history! Just in time for Halloween and fall! Wonderful!