Monday, September 21, 2009

My World Tuesday

On Sunday we drove to Maryland and these photos were taken on our journey there and back, either while driving - not me, I was the passenger - or when we stopped at the traffic lights.

Here we see the state sign of Maryland and know we are about to cross over from Virginia. We drive for a short time on the freeway but the rest of our journey takes us through several busy, built up urban areas.

The fire station was near a busy crossroads and I found it interesting enough to take a photo.
The bright florescent strips on the firemen's coats caught our eye and I passed the camera over to Gregg . If we were stopped at a traffic light and there was something interesting on his side of the car that he wanted to take a picture of, he would ask for the camera. If it was on my sign I would take the shot. It was how we passed the time, between chatting about life in general or what we had seen that day. Our journeys go pretty fast this way.
I thought perhaps the sunlight was peaking in at an angle as those stripes were shimmering. Otherwise all was in shadow.

There were old buildings with interesting murals.
These were near a school and it looked like the scenes were painted by children.
Another fire station....
and a church.
and another not too far down the road.
The last two photos were taken while stuck in traffic looking at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing a little part of our world. It's not that often that we drive through such a busy area. I wondered about the people who lived here. Would they find suburbia boring, would the country be boring? There certainly seemed a lot of life going on and I found people watching as we went by very interesting. I love to people watch, is that because I am a nosy person or am I just curious, or both? I don't like to think it's because I'm just downright nosy. How many people out there enjoy this pastime, especially when traveling?


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

19 comments:

  1. I really like this post as you have taken me on a road trip; and I adore road trips.

    Have a wonderful week.

    I posted mine at www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like road trips too, and this one is fun! Great shots! Love the murals!

    Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tour. I really like all the colorful murals. The shimmery strips on the firemen's coats made fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun trip and nice pictures. I like the paintings by the chidren best I think. I bet it wouldn't be so easy taking pictures while on a freeway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, Thanks for taking us on your little ride. I too don't like traffic or busy places. Guess that's why we live in a small community!!!!

    Love seeing the little fire stations --and the churches.

    Thanks again for the 'free' ride.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to go on your road trip and seeing places I probably will never see.
    Great pictures, the fire fighters' jackets was a very creative shot.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of the road trip.
    I been there once from Virginia to Washington DC. Thanks for the happy memory.
    Have a nice week.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking us along on your trip. I like people-watching too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking us on the road trip. It is neat to see your view on your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on the George Washington Memorial Parkway (I saw the sign in your first photograph) many a time. That is a beautiful roadway. I enjoyed the murals in your photographs. I, too, take photographs while riding in the car AND on the motorcycle. I prefer the photographs that I take while riding on the motorcycle because there is no glass between my camera and what I am shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello sweet Denise,
    Thanks so much for sharing these adorable places with us!
    All pictures are so perfect and I specially loved these murals!
    Great post my friend.
    Léia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love people watching too, in super markets and while travelling.
    Thanks for taking me for a drive around your world. The phots are great for out of a car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the interesting tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise,

    I really enjoyed this road trip with you. Amazing what we see when we really look! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for letting me ride along on your little trip. Had fun.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for great trip and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like road trips too, and this one is fun! Great shots! Love the murals!
    Web hosting india

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your road trip photos so we can tag along virtually. Love the brick firehouse and the murals especially. Thanks for all your visits to each of my blogs. I always enjoy your comments and feedback ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete