Friday, September 18, 2009

Learning to dance....

Many of my future shares will be of the photos taken at the Scottish Festival we attended a few weeks ago. We took dozens and dozens, enough to last us through the winter months, on days when the weather may keep us inside the house. That's thinking ahead, even though I have to be honest the thought only came to me after I was wading through them all the next day. "Goodness", said I to my also photo-taking husband, "We took so many photos these will take us all through the winter!" Yes, I wasn't in the Girl Guides for a whole six weeks for nothing. Only six weeks you say? Well, they wanted to drag me off on a camping trip and at that age I wasn't prepared to deal with the great outdoors, but then that's a story for another day.

One of these photos was of two small children learning how to dance a Scottish Fling. It was one of the most endearing sights to see all these youngsters having a good time. There was a large group standing in a circle all holding hands and I couldn't resist taking a few shots.



There's nothing so gentle

Nothing so mild

Nothing so kind

As the hands of a child

(David Hope)

18 comments:

Sunny said...

What a sweet picture and lovely verse.
I look forward to seeing more of your photos.
Sunny :)

diane said...

How cute and colour doesn't matter. Looking forward to seeing all your pics. I'm a bit that way with my holiday shots. I took 900 so they can keep me going when it is too hot to go outside in the summer.

J said...

mmm...scottish dancing - I have somewhat mixed memories of learning this! Hopefully they were having more fun - also nice to see that you can take photos of children without being accused of being a pervert.

Kay said...

This really is so sweet, Denise. It's so true about the hands of a child.

MedaM said...

Oh what a sweet photo and the lines that go with it are great as well!
Have a nice weekend!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

It is nice being able to fit the lines of a poem to a photograph.

imac said...

They are so cute,Yup, you like me so many photos to last forever.lol.

tricia said...

Very cute picture. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I hope your weekend is wonderful.

jabblog said...

Lovely photo and a very apt verse. There's little that's more trusting than a small hand thrust into your own.

Tammie Lee said...

ah this photo says it all! dancing is a grand joy in life.

Thank you for having me as a 'guest friend' tomorrow! I will not have internet for a few days, so posted a day early.
take care,
Tammie

Craver Vii said...

They're so cute. I especially love to hear little children laugh. I sometimes think I was born to be a grandpa.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, I LOVE that sweet picture. You are right.. Seeing the hands of a child is just so endearing. I'm sure you enjoyed them learning to dance. How Precious.
Hugs,
Betsy

Denise said...

Sunny, they did seem to fit didn't they?

Diane, I'm looking forward to your holiday shots. I have been thoroughly enjoying your travels.

J, so many people were taking photos of the children, lots of parents and people just like me, and it was such a happy atmosphere, it seemed such a natural thing to do.

Kay, I agree. I love surfing for quotes and poems and when I came across that one it 'spoke' to me.

MedamM, thank you and I hope you have a great weekend too.

Linda, I love it when that happens.

IMAC, I knew we were kindred spirits.

Tricia, thank you. I hope your weekend is wonderful too.

Jabblog, so true!

Tammie Lee, I agree and look forward to seeing your flowers.

Craver, Vii, I know you would be/are? a great grandfather.

Betsy, I did and they were a joy.

Thanks everyone, have a great weekend all of you.

Linda Reeder said...

Sweet, indeed. And your photo does capture what you saw and felt.

Ebie said...

Denise, this is beautiful, and you put a smile on my face! It brings back old memories! Looking forward to more photos from the fair!

Janie said...

Such a cute photo of the two children, joined in the spirit of fun.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

They are so cute !
I was in a Scottish dancing team, and even had my own at one point. We used to perform at functions and especially like to go to the nursing homes, some of those "old" residents could whistle like a pro.
It was so much fun, but I think they enjoyed it even more, thinking of days gone by maybe ?
Look forward to more pictures...

Viola said...

Sweet poem and photo! I used to travel to Scotland a lots when I was younger. It is a nice country with friendly people :)