Friday, September 25, 2009

Camera Critters # 77

We were at Brookside Gardens in Maryland last weekend, another favorite spot we have been visiting ever since we discovered it a few years ago. The fragrance garden was on our list but it was closed off due to a wedding. Cheers to the Bride and Groom and off down another path we traveled, knowing that there were plenty of other pretty spots to look at and knowing that we will be back here again, probably next Spring.

One door closes and another door opens. We hadn't gone far when my good spotter and hubby looked up and saw this awesome sight, a bird of prey high up in one of the tallest trees in the garden.
Do you know what kind he is? I have no idea. He was too far away to get a decent shot and I cropped this one to get as close as I could. I was very happy as this is the first one I have seen for any length of time. My feathered friend perched there for several minutes before flying away. I occasionally see a lighter colored and much smaller falcon when I am driving around closer to home but always on a telephone wire and always while driving in heavy traffic, with no opportunity to grab my camera at any of these sightings.

One of the volunteer ladies came over and we chatted for a while. She didn't know what it was either but thought that maybe it was a younger bird with that light coloring.

Camera Critters is a great meme created by Misty Dawn. You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

31 comments:

  1. He is a very light colour almost pink. Sorry I don't know what it is, I hardly know any Australian birds let alone American ones although I know we have some that are the same. I find birds very hard to capture on camera but I'm going to make it one of my challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think you captured a hawk, honey!



    Aloha, Friend!

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bird, Diane.... Looks like a hawk to me. They scope out the area ---looking for a Mourning Dove to munch on. Around here, when my backyard birds at the feeders disappear, I always think that a hawk is nearby...

    Have a great Saturday.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky to get th ebird pose for you. When I see a bird, it always flies away before I can get my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful birds - you were lucky to get such a lovely shot Denise. A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots - I think we're all agreed it's a hawk of some sort ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find for the critters theme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are great Denise. Can't help with a name though-- as usual. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I knew for sure what that bird was, but I want to guess red-shouldered hawk. Too bad you didn't get to the place you originally planned, but these are neat shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear Denise, he is a fabulous critters, no doubt!
    Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots!
    purrs and love
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise, I agree with the Red Shoulder Hawk, But I am still learning my Hawk id's. So I could be wrong. It is nice finding new places to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know he's the kind of predator that I dread hanging around the garden because of all the little garden birds I have. Beautiful though, but deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise,

    He is a beautiful hawk ... no matter what kind and how kind of him to pose for you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful hawk! Looks a bit like our red-tailed hawks that live in the neighbor's tree. Whatever kind he is, he's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful photos you've managed to capture. I'm glad others could help you with the ID ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful capture, Denise! I also think it could be a hawk. But a very big hawk!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fabulous creature you caught! Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you find out what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I look closely and it looks like a hawk... wow, what a capture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. He's gorgeous, whatever kind of hawk he is. I've never been able to take any pictures because I always seem to see the hawks when I'm driving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is a Red Shouldered Hawk. A lot of hawks are migrating now so keep your eyes on the look out for them. Most will be very high in the sky but they come down occasionaly. Nice photo. Don't you just love Brookside Gardens? I used to live in that neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whatever his name Denise it's a great 'capture'!


    Carletta’s Captures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know what it is either, but it looks very proud and beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful captured of a beautiful bird.

    my entry: http://southbrowneyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like a very powerful hawk. Impressive photo.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree that it looks like a hawk. A hawk looking for dinner! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My birding friend concurs, a red-shouldered hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Denise: We have that hawk in our area and they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't know much about birds but this bird looks powerful and your photos are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my! Such a wonderful bird!! :) And a fantastic photo! :) The first thought of mine .. a hawk? Second... an eagle?? It looks like a hawk, but I havnen't seen that one before.
    I've also had a look to your other posts below, wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete