Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes

I found another pancake recipe and have to say it was my favorite so far. While recipe-blog-surfing I came across Madeline's Adaptations and it just so happened that day she had posted these Blueberry Pancakes, which you can find here. I had bluberries in my fridge that needed using up and when I saw this recipe I was quickly whipping up a batch of pancakes for breakfast.

I added all the blueberries I had so there were more than the recipe called for.

I used our favorite syrup but you can replace it with yours obviously.

I used all the batter mix, had one that morning and then did my usual "can put that in the freezer for a quick fix on another day when I don't really feel like cooking breakfast" deals. I reheated one in the microwave for 1 minute and 25 seconds. I'm a bit picky about reheating frozen foods and if they taste reheated and frozen I won't use them again. After I gave one to hubs - not telling him until he had eaten it that it was out of the freezer, and after he had responded with "These are great", then I knew I had a keeper. Definitely going to make these again, not only for ourselves but when we have stay-over company. Thanks Madeline!

Blueberry Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups milk
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted but slightly cooled
Oil for frying, such as grapeseed, canola or other vegetable oil

Sift together the flour and baking powder. Mix in the sugar and salt. Whisk in the milk, egg, vanilla extract and butter. Whisk the mixture until there are no more lumps. Gently stir in the blueberries. Allow the batter to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Lightly grease a skillet over medium heat. I liked the results from using a cast iron skillet but it's not necessary. Use a ladle and pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the hot pan. The pancake is ready to flip when the top has bubbles and the bottom is golden brown. Flip the pancake and cook another 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. You can keep the pancakes warm in a 250 degree oven until you are ready to serve them but not for longer than about 20 minutes.

16 comments:

  1. These pancakes look simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a recipe that I will keep. We have four blueberry bushes in our back yard. If we beat the birds to the berries (or if we cover the bushes with netting), we can pick lots of blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great looking cakes. I always use at least twice as many blueberries as the recipe calls for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow looks yummy, certainly I will try!I think it's not so difficult ( because I'm not good with this kind of things).
    thanks and congrats my sweet friend!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband makes really good pancakes but they don't look as good as yours. (Don't tell him I said that!)
    Yours look totally yummmm!
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Vicki should see this post.
    Sometimes she sees yummy things then makes them. I see yummy things then eat them. We make a good team. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite morning offerings! I could have it for dinner too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise, Yum---that sounds great. I think I gained a pound just looking at those pancakes. BUT--I noticed that you had "Lite" syrup... SO that helps!!!! I have used the sugar-free syrup also--and it really does taste good.

    Thanks for sharing. You are really a fabulous cook.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reader Wil, they are.

    Tricia, they are.

    Splendid Little Stars, me too.

    Linda, you are very lucky to have your own blueberry bushes. I am envious!

    Yogi, a good call.

    Léia, no not difficult at all. I always have fun making them.

    Sunny, what a nice compliment and I won't say a word. We're going to have to thank the lady I got them from though.

    James, you and Vicki do make a good team.

    Ebie, I have had them for dinner before. Thanks for reseeding that idea in my head.

    Betsy, I see you found the irony in that Lite Syrup - ha, ha and a double ha! And yes, every spare calorie counts. Thank you for the nice compliment.

    I have enjoyed seeing all your familiar photos here. Thanks all for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linnea W, most importantly, it tasted good too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is too much! I'm going to copy you..I have a picture in sepia (not going to tell) and I'll post a recipe. I luv pancakes.. hardly ever make them anymore but these look delicious! You'd think I ate them daily!! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making me feel hungry!!!
    Absolutely sounds delicious!
    Will try soon. . .

    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! These blueberry pancakes I would love to make. Maybe I come back one day to pick up the recipe.. Surely! :)

    ReplyDelete