Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Watery Wednesday

These photos were taken back in the winter at one of our favorite haunts, Huntley Meadows Park and I have shared it before. Come to think of it, we haven't been there for a while. We're overdue. This photo of the wooden path over the marshy land is not mine but Gregg's. I love having his take on photos, he oftens sees things that I don't and he is a great spotter of things that my eyes miss.

The place always seems to have a lot of people visiting, it is a great birding area and we often pass people staring into the trees with binoculars. That's going to be my next purchase, though Gregg will often remind me that we already have a pair, ones that he bought in England when he was on that exchange tour with the Royal Navy all those years ago. To me every time I take them out they seem HUGE and no they're not that big, but I have my eyes on a pair just a tad smaller and easier to carry than the bulkier binocs that are housed in an even bulkier carry case. Try holding those up for any length of time! My upper arms probably need the exercise but I want to enjoy my walk and not feel like I am carrying a medicine ball around with me. So, the smaller binoculars are on the list of priorities and I am waiting patiently for them to work themselves up to the top as they are way down there right now.

When I took this photo of the fallen log it was a full sized photo but everything in the foreground came out a complete blur, so I cropped it off and this is the result. Cropping can be a useful tool in photography.


There are beaver at Huntley Meadows. We noticed certain areas were getting pretty dry and were told at the vistitors' center that the beavers were building dams and changing the landscape. Their way of dealing with that was to let nature take its course for a while. We saw signs of them like this small tree trunk on the right of my photo. You can see how neatly it had been nibbled to a point.

Another sign of their handiwork, this dam.....

and the beaver lodge. In all the years we have been coming here we have never seen any of these wonderful animals. We know of course that we visit at the wrong time of the day but it takes a little longer to get out here and besides that, the park is closed in the early morning and always closes at dusk when they would probably be at their most active. We live in hope that one day there they will be but in the meantime there are many other beautiful things to see, and this keeps us going back year after year.

Now, back to Walney Pond. Do you see him? Who would have thought that after all this time we would find beavers in our own back yard, practically, or at least ten minutes away. A few months ago when we came at the end of the day we noticed the first signs of a beaver lodge, but at that time we didn't recognize it as such, said "No, can't be!".

On another visit we saw movement under the water and this funny little creature came up so fast right under our nose, saw us and did a double flip that would have done an Olympian swimmer proud, and with a sharp slap of that funny little tail, he was gone again. We were so surprised at this sudden appearance that I think our mouths dropped open. Then much to our delight we saw that not so little body swimming in the middle of the waterlily pads.....

and there he was again, munching away on the leaves.

This is the second set of photos I have shared of our friend here. We watched him dive numerous times, and eventually figured out that he was digging for the roots of the waterlily.

He brought one rather large root to the shallow part of the pond and began eating it not so far away.
I like this angle photo that Gregg took. We both had a great time taking photos of him.

We have seen him on four visits now, this was our last one at the end of July. It's time to go for another visit.

Thank you 2sweetnsaxy of Eyes Mind Heart for creating and hosting Watery Wednesday, such a fun meme. You can visit by clicking right here to either share your own photos or just enjoy looking at others from around the world.

28 comments:

Kirigalpoththa said...

Very nice post!

Carletta said...

Hi Denise,
What a wonderful photo essay!
I'm so with you on a pair of binoculars. Ours is heavy and hard to focus. We've had them for twenty years or more. I just know technology has a much better and lighter pair waiting for me. :)
I've never seen a beaver in the wild. I'm glad you have a place to watch one and his handiwork.

J Bar said...

Great series of shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Cloudia said...

You AND Greg have great eyes. What a bundle of riches!!

I love your observations, each and every post delights.
Thank you.

Aloha-

Comfort Spiral

Martha in PA said...

What a great post, the photos are fabulous and I love the little beaver!


Watery Wednesday

Regina said...

An awesome watery!

ewok1993 said...

An awesome place. No wonder it's always filled with people who want to enjoy it's welcoming embrace.

Ebie said...

Hi Denise, what a great adventure. I love the trees pictures, great texture. You got great eyes!

jabblog said...

Lovely journey with you again. Your close-ups of the beaver are wonderful - aren't they fascinating little beasts?

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

A lovely set of photos Denise - I have never seen a beaver in the wild, what a thrill that would be. A x

AL said...

Hello, I like the first, second and third photo okay I like them all. Your watery photos are amazing!

AL

Sanna said...

Wonderful serie!

Kay said...

Oh my goodness! These are fantastic photos, Denise! I love beavers but they're awfully hard to find much less take photos of. I do think it's fun to have your spouse take photos also. It's always fun for me to see Art's take on the same theme.

Cezar and Léia said...

What a beautiful post Denise and I'm so impressed with that old tree!Adorable landscape and the "cute"dude looks to be happy living there! ;)
Léia

tricia said...

This is a place I would enjoy visiting in person, but since I can't your post is the next best thing to being there. Thank you Denise for yet another wonderfully interesting post.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures, especially of the beaver. I have only seen them once or twice in the wild and that very late in the evening, almost dark.

Linda said...

I enjoyed going on this walk with you through the two parks. What wonderful photographs of the beaver!

ShySongbird said...

Wonderful photos, I just loved all the Beaver ones, delightful!

Rob Ripma said...

Awesome shots of the Beaver!

mommanator said...

HARD TO BELIEVE SUCH NATURE STILL EXISTS

Kay said...

Wonderful photos. Love the beaver.

Tammie Lee said...

I so enjoy walking on boardwalks like that. Sometimes they take you places that would be hard to walk otherwise. A small pair of binos sounds good to me. Some day.... Your pics are great, I like the cropped tree photo, it looks huge. And beaver pics, fun. I found a muskrat in my pond the other day. Haven't seen it since. Take care.

Titania said...

Hi Denise; That is a lovely series of a beautiful National park. It is great to see beavers in their natural environs. Very small, and handy binoculars are now available which are even better than the big ones. The sunflowers on your header are as sunny as your nature!

diane said...

Lovely watery shots and the beaver shots are just terrific. We don't have beavers so its very interesting reading about them.

Rambling Woods said...

Hello Denise..what a wonderful place to explore and great photos of the furry surprise. We have muskrats on our pond, but no beavers.... Michelle

Stephany said...

A great series of shots and a delightful read! I have seen their lodges and dams here but have never been lucky enough to catch sight of a beaver when I have my camera.

Arija said...

Denise, this is such a wonderful post! To get so close up and personal and be able to snap a number of shots of thi delightful creature must have beena thrill indeed. A pity I could not get a couple of the photos either in the post or enlargd, but those I did get were just wonderful!

Denise said...

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments everyone.