Friday, August 14, 2009

Two squishy bananas, what to do, what to do.....

This morning after Gregg had gone to work and I walked by the fruit bowl, I looked at the two bananas left and knew that I wouldn't be eating either of those au natural. They were way past the peel-and-eat stage and at first I thought "Banana Bread". My next thought was, I haven't had pancakes in a donkey's age and after a couple of more thoughts, I knew I was going to make Banana Pancakes for breakfast and as I haven't shared any recipes for a while I decided to make this my next post.

I grew up having pancakes only once a year on Shrove Tuesday, which is an English tradition. Our English pancakes were more like a crepe. Nowadays mine are a cross between the two nations, a hyrbid of sorts. Mum made the greatest pancakes and what made them even better was the fact that she used to toss them as high up in the air as she could, which was always exciting as my sister and I would occasionally see one land on the floor. That always caused fits of giggles and when we were old enough, Mum taught us how to toss them ourselves, and of course even more landed on the floor. It was great fun. The ones that didn't land on the floor were served sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar, delicious!

While still in England, the first time I ate American pancakes was in a small restaurant in Torquay - pronounced "Torkee" by the way. I worked in the local government offices for a couple of years - in their legal section - and occasionally my friends and I would go for lunch downtown. American Pancakes sounded very exotic and we ordered them for dessert. They were served with Maple Syrup and we all said that they were the best thing we had tasted since they discovered sliced bread. My next great discovery was French Toast when I was on my honeymoon a few years later, but that's another story.

I found this particular recipe at All.Recipes. You start by putting two cups of flour, one tablespoon of white sugar, two teaspoons of baking powder and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt into a bowl; stir together and set aside. In a separate bowl add one beaten egg, one cup of milk, two tablespoons of vegetable oil and two ripe bananas. Mix well but don't worry if it looks a horrible mess - see below.

It turns out like this.

Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture. It will look a bit lumpy but that's okay.

I added a few extra splashes of milk because it looked a bit thick to me.

As I had gone mad and bought a huge bag of pecans from CostCo's a while back, I also added half a cup to the batter (only a hundredweight left now).

I chopped them up into small pieces and left a handful to sprinkle on top of my finished pancake.

Pop the pecans into the batter and stir in. If I could have found the chocolate chips they probably would have gone in with them, but I must have used those up in the last batch of cookies I made and that's been a while. If you know about chocolate cravings then you know it's horrible when you get them and you can't find a single chocolate anything in the house, because you're trying to 'eat healthy' and it hasn't been on any shopping list for months. Well, they tell me that dark chocolate is the new health food, but just to be awkward I don't really like dark chocolate. Fortunately this morning I didn't have any chocolate cravings whatsoever, though after talking about it I wouldn't mind a Cadbury's Flake right now. Nope, no flakes in the house except me and no chocolate chips in the pancakes!!!

It says to put a quarter of a cup of batter into a lightly oiled pan but I used a half-cup measure because a quarter of a cup just seemed a bit small. I don't have a griddle so I used the largest flat pan that I have.

Cook on a medium high heat until they are golden brown, turning over once when the bubbles start to appear on the top. I think I overdid the browning on these but I used the darkest one and it still tasted yummy.

Serve with a few of the chopped pecans and your favorite syrup or other topping. Because I still think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I used Maple Syrup.

I enjoyed my breakfast though I felt they were still a bit too thick, and next time I will use even more milk to thin the batter. I think I would also add a little vanilla.

As I only had one pancake and didn't want to waste the left-overs, I used up the rest of the batter, putting each pancake into a freezer bag after cooling. I intend to take one out of the freezer occasionally, when I am in a rush and don't feel like making breakfast. I seem to remember doing that way back when I was working and they turned out quite good after reheating. Probably not AS good as straight out of the pan but still quite good, especially when you're on the run.

I read the reviews on this recipe and they were very positive. For healthier pancakes someone suggested replacing the oil with applesauce. Another person said they added vanilla to theirs. Gregg would have liked that. We usually make the Bisquick pancakes and I know he wouldn't like bananas added to them but he loves a vanilla flavor in just about everything, don't you Gregg?

Here's the actual recipe that I got off-line, along with the nutritional values.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Ready in: 15 minutes

Yields: 12 pancakes

Servings: 6


1 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 ripe bananas, mashed


1. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas.

2. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.

3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving.

Calories: 193

Total Fat: 6.6g

Cholesterol: 39mg

Sodium: 246mg

Total Carbs: 29.2g

Dietary Fiber: 1.6g

Protein: 5g



3 comments:

  1. wow. i learn something new. thanks or sharing your healthy breakfast recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to make lovely thin English pancakes with lemon juice and sugar and rolled up like a sausage. Yum Yum I could just eat one now. I'm not so good at making them but I will try your recipe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawstude, thank you for stopping by.

    Diane, nothing like remembering Mum's home cooking is there?

    ReplyDelete