Thursday, August 13, 2009

SkyWatch Friday # 57

These are photos I have taken throughout the year.

Early on when the leaves had yet to show themselves, I took this photo while at a traffic light after an afternoon in Washington DC. The statue is of Jose Artigas and was sculpted by Juan M Blanes in 1950. You will find it on Constitution Avenue and 18th Street. What I found out on line afterwards: Artigas (1764-1850) is sometimes referred to as the "father of Uruguayan independence." He raised troops of volunteers to fight for the creation of a Uruguayan state separate from Argentina and free of Spanish domination. An admirer of the young United States, he is said to have carried a copy of the American Constitution with him at all times. Engraved at the base of the statue is the statement: "Liberty of America is my dream and its attainment my only hope." The statue was funded in great part by contributions from Uruguayan school children.
Twenty-five miles in one direction we find ourselves in Washington DC. If we drive twenty-five miles in the opposite direction, we find ourselves in the Shenandoah Mountains. The photo above is of Big Meadows, a favorite place of ours. The photo below is a view from one of the many overlooks. Both are on Skyline Drive.

My next photo was taken in early Spring in Manassas by the Old Stone House.

This is one of the movie theatres we go to occasionally.

The last two photos were taken once again in the early part of the year on our way back from a road trip to Pennsylvania. In case you were wondering, I wasn't driving but safely taking photos in the passenger seat.


Thank you to everyone on the SkyWatch team. If you want to see other sky photos from all over the world, you can click right here.


27 comments:

  1. Nice photos of some very familiar places. I live on the other side of D.C. in Maryland but frequently drive out to the Shenandoah Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful places and skies : well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images, all of them. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise, Thanks for sharing these great pictures. I really hope to drive out that way in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All beautiful skies and wonderful scenery, except the cities aren't really scenery, but I love the composition of the first one, and THAT'S A MOVIE THEATER in the other one?? One in the East.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed looking at all of your SkyWatch photographs. I particularly liked the mountain view from Skyline Drive. The vistas along Skyline Drive are so pretty. I've driven along that route only two times, once with my mother and the second time with my husband. I remember both drives fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures, I especially like the mountains.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skies in all. I love the rural scenes best. Amazing the variety of scenes you enjoy only a short distance from your home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A buffet of pictures. Thanks. I liked them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great little tour of your region! Fabulous. I have a friend who lives just south of Manassas off of 29. I need to go visit her for a photo shoot. Your photos reminded me of the beauty of this area!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All wonderful choices for this post, but the first one is just awesome. Hope you enjoy your weekend Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice tour with lots of interesting skies. I love the photo of the misty mountains the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really, really spectacular photos, Denise. That last one is so dramatic. What an amazing assortment of skies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful snaps. In the last snap it looks like an UFO is descending on earth from the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All these pics show so many different colours and If I can say "moods" of the sky! I simply love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are wonderful, and I love your love story from the side bar...so glad you became a citizen..congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely skies Denise. The Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. A x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's great to have wide open spaces so close to home. Lovely sky shots and statue. I enjoy sky shots with statues.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for all the great comments everyone. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely landscapes and city views! What great variety for SkyWatch Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pictures and the last one is stunning!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like this collection of pictures, nice variety!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are all wonderful. I love the color and drama of the skies.

    ReplyDelete