Monday, August 31, 2009

Old Family Photos - My Father, Stanley Douglas Haig Goodall

Dad with his dog Tony
Going through my old family photographs I came across these of my Dad. They were taken in the 1920s. His name was Stanley Douglas Haig Goodall. Dad always told me our name - Goodall - is a derivation of the name "good ale" - and that way back our family were brewers. That gave me pause to investigate a little further.

I found three things:

a) habitational name from Gowdall in East Yorkshire, named from Old English, golde 'marigold' + Old English halh 'nook', 'recess'.

b) from Middle English gode 'good' + ale 'ale', 'malt liquor', hence a metonymic occupational name for a brewer or an innkeeper.

c) Goodall, a fine hall or mansion; or good-ale.

Dad used to enjoy a pint down at the pub and well, I find as I get older that I enjoy the occasional cold beer on a very hot day. There, my secret is out and I'll go with Dad's explanation that back in the middle ages we must have been in the brewery business. "Bottom's Up!"

I remember many years ago when we were living in San Diego, my dear Mom and Dad came over with an Aunt and Uncle whom I also adored. I had been married for a while, and had been to many navy parties and had to throw my fair share as well, both when Gregg was home and when he was away at sea. The wives used to have get-togethers pretty regularly. I hasten to add that whether the ship was home or away, we never had wild parties by any means - always fun but not wild - but I had become quite good at making Strawberry Daiquiri's, which was a popular drink at the time. My Mom was a tee-totaller but my Aunty was curious when I asked her if she would like me to make one for her to try. I only had a recipe for 'a crowd' and decided in my infinite wisdom that it was too much trouble to figure out individual portions and that it was a much better idea to make a big batch anyhow, with the idea that we could have the occasional Daiquiri over the six weeks that they were staying with us, and it would remain frozen until needed.

My Dad walked in as I was pouring a whole bottle of rum into one of my mixing bowls and I still remember the startled look on his face as he asked me what was I doing? As I explained he slowly shook his head. When I showed him the recipe he didn't say anything but he shook his head. When I poured my Aunty and I a glass and popped the strawberry on top along with the sprig of mint just as I had seen it in the picture, he shook his head. When she and I sat in the back garden and sipped on our Daquiri, he shook his head. I was too happy with the look of it as I gave it to Aunty to truly understand, and I was trying to show my family how grown up I was, a married lady who gave parties and could make a fancy drink, and basically take care of herself when her husband went away to sea for six to eight months at a time. But Dad had sheltered my sister and me all his life and this was too much. His little girl was drinking hard core rum, no matter that it had a whole bunch of other things in it to dilute the taste of the alchohol. To him I might as well have been drinking out of the neck of the bottle. His little girl was on a downhill slide, and he shook his head.

Dad, you needn't have worried. I haven't had a Strawberry Daiquiri since. We won't tell him that Gregg and I enjoy the occasional beer but I think he probably knows and is no doubt looking down shaking his head. I love you Dad!

And I absolutely love this photo. My Dad is the young lad standing on the left. Six young rascals who are obviously having a good time. On the right I think that other lad is using a sling shot. You can see something that looks like one in his hand. And oh my gosh that young boy is drinking out of the neck of a bottle. I'm guessing it is only soda pop.

Dad used to be in the Boys' Brigade and these last three photos he is in his uniform. In the above photo he is standing in front of the fifth boy from the left at the back.

He is on the right in this photo.

And what an outfit this is. I remember him telling me that he had to take part in a parade. I hope it wasn't in the middle of the summer.

21 comments:

Bonnie Bonsai said...

Great to get those old family photos from the cabinet and share them with us. In 1920, my late mother was born. And your darling Daddy was almost a full grown up young man! And Denise, you have your father's resemblance.

So charming of a story you have here about your daddy and the family.

I am charmed!

Cezar and Léia said...

I love old pictures, these are fabulous dear Denise!Thanks for this beautiful story and post!
Have a great day
hugs
Léia

Kay said...

These are such great photos of your dad, Denise. However, that image of your dad shaking his head just makes me smile. What a sweet guy he was. That strawberry drink sounded very delicious. I've never had one before.

Abraham Lincoln said...

These old pictures are so special and I know you have scanned them and that should protect them too. At least you have them as copies of the originals.

I read every word of this post with some melancholy but then the words made it a delight to read. I smiled a lot. And, in the end I think this was a fab post.

Thanks for your visit to my Pick a Peck of Pixels Blog and for your comment there about the squirrel. Pick a Peck of Pixels

MedaM said...

Those beautiful old photos are really precious and special for you. Great post, indeed!

Roy said...

Hi Denise, lovely post.
I hope you have all those old photos scanned into the computer and then saved on a separate disk somewhere as you would be distraught at loosing them.
Of course your Dad would have drunk warm beer "Proper job" not this cold stuff.{:)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: Those are some really neat old photos.

Pam said...

Hi Denise, I always enjoy seeing old photo, they show us glimpses of people, places, history and memories we might never have seen or known about.
Your old family photos are delightful and I love the way you tell a story. You should write a book, your very good at it :)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a nice comment.

tricia said...

I always enjoy your family photos and these are wonderful as usual. Your daiquiri story made me smile. Somehow I never got around to tasting a daiquiri of any sort. Maybe I should put that on my bucket list. ;)

jabblog said...

What a lovely story Denise. Old photos are so special and irreplaceable - thank goodness for scanners and digital vaults!

aurinkoinen :) said...

Oh, how wonderful old photos;) a nice day!

imac said...

Aye, could sit hours looking at old pics.
Every so often - when in the loft, out they come, and the time flies by.

Come visit my Autumn Crocus

Zeee said...

Awesome authentic vintage photos Denise! I really love looking through old photos myself. I'm not sure we have some from waaay back in the 20s but I'm sure there are some from the 60s-70s....my Mom's old photos.

Craver Vii said...

You're lucky to have those pictures and some knowledge of your history. When I was small, I never thought to ask, and nobody ever thought to tell. We just came from simple folk who lived in the more rural parts of Puerto Rico... that's it. I sure wish I knew more.

John Gray jgsheffield@hotmail.com said...

lovely blog!

Viola said...

Isn't it great to watch the old good photos! It's a time never coming back. Nice photos and a nice father. And a fun story, a tribute to your good father :) Thanks for comments :)

Denise said...

Thank you for all the wonderful comments my friends. I think my Father would have been very surprised, and yet very happy at how kind and thoughtful you all are in your remarks.

sprachmeister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

sprachmeister, I'm sorry it took me so long to see your comment. So very interesting about your grandfather's name.

Calamity538 said...

I was looking for my father's military records. His name was Douglas Haig Goodall, and during WW2, he was captured at Stanley, Hong Kong! How strange!

Calamity538 said...

I thought I had already posted this....2nd attempt! Hows this for coincidence...I was looking for my father's military records. His name was Douglas Haig Goodall, and he was captured in Stanley, Hong Kong!