Monday, August 17, 2009

My World Tuesday


Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.
Last Saturday I met up with my friends. We had arranged to meet over at Kathy's house where I picked her up, along with Jackie who had driven over from her house. It was a bit too hot to bring Hamish along, though he would have been very welcome. I LOVE Hamish! I don't think he would have enjoyed the hour-and-a-half ride to Anne's house though and we wouldn't leave him in the car while we went into the restaurant. Kathy said he would be happier at home in a nice cool house and would sleep until Chuck came home from work. I had already picked up Hazel as she only lives ten minutes away from me and as there was going to be five of us, I borrowed Gregg's van so that we could drive a bit more comfortably, rather than being squashed in my car.
Left to right is Anne, Hazel, Kathy and Jackie. We are all English. Our Scottish friend is back home in Scotland for the summer months. She has a house in the Highlands and sad to say they haven't built a road that far or I daresay we would be taking a road trip over the pond. I have these silly thoughts occasionally because everyone misses Carol, and who knows, maybe we'll all get on the plane one year and take her up on the offer of a holiday.

These are Anne's flowers on her deck. They were gorgeous and photos never do them justice.


Anne lives a little further out but instead of her making the journey to us we all decided on our last get-together that we would drive to her place and give her a break from the traveling. She lives outside of Winchester and there is a British Pub she told us about and of course we all said that was a good idea and we should go have lunch there.

This lovely vase of flowers is in the area where we sat, but my photo turned out blurry. So I did what I always do, I opened up Paint Shop Pro and this time I softened it up some.

Here we are again, Anne, Jackie, Denise, Kathy and Hazel. We all had fish and chips except Anne who tried the Shepherd's Pie. Everything tasted very good. They also ordered cider and I had a Sprite.

The main street in Winchester is permanently closed off to traffic. It was a nice walk back to the car.

They were having a special Winchester Day and there were lots of activities and craft stalls.

Well, if you've been visiting my blog for a while, you'll know how much I love statues. I take photos every time I come across one. This was a memorial in front of the museum and I read a sign that said: "In lasting honor of every confederate soldier from Winchester and Frederick County who faithfully served the south."

A rather nice clock on the corner of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank.

And of course we all fell in love with this little Yorkie pup who was out for a stroll with her human companion. We surrounded the little thing but she truly loved all the attention, which we gave her plenty of and the lady was happy to show off how well the little one had learned her commands. We all told her what a very smart little dog she had and we all wanted to take her home with us, the Yorkie not the human of course.


We ended up back at Anne's house. She had made some delicious scones which we had with clotted cream and strawberry jam and a pot of tea. We sat around the table and shared each other's old photographs, which we had also decided to bring at the last get-together. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone as we were when we were babies, toddlers, teenagers, young brides and then mothers, all stages of our lives. We had a good laugh at some of the stories told. It was a wonderful gathering and now we are looking forward to the next time.

33 comments:

Ebie said...

Getting together with friends and especially from yur town or Country is something special. It takes away nostalgia. I am glad you ladies had a good time. Hamish is cute and adorable.

Postcards from Wildwood said...

Sounds like you all had a great British day out! I love the flowers on the deck - the colours are so bright and cheerful.
Janice.

Esther Garvi said...

Wow a lovely excursion! There's nothing like quality time with loved ones. Sweet dogs like the ones above don't make matters any worse, either!! :-D

Rambling Woods said...

There is nothing like a girls lunch out..It looks like you all had a lovely time...Love the flower photos with the skipper....Michelle

ewok1993 said...

Nothing beats time with gal pals and a meal to boot. Lovely post.

SandyCarlson said...

Looks like such a wonderful place! Makes me miss my HP Sauce!

Cezar and Léia said...

So beautiful ladies!
Glad to know about this fabulous day that you had with your friends!Very special indeed, fabulous pictures.I liked a lot that restaurant with several flags!Cool...Hugs
Léia

imac said...

Great friends,
great shots,
Cute shots too.

Sunny said...

It's so nice when we can spend time with friends and it looks like you had a lovely time. Very cute video.
Sunny :)

Irene Toh said...

What a nice outing and Anne's flowers are gorgeous.

Patty said...

What a wonderful time you had with your friends. What great memories.

Snap said...

Visiting with friends is so special. Looks like you had a wonderful time. The flowers are beautiful -- mandelvilla? (I know I spelled it wrong.) Thanks for taking us with you. Hamish is a little doll.

James said...

I enjoyed this post from top to bottom. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Oh and Hamish is adorable.

Eve said...

Well what a character that Hamish is! He reminds me of a bloke I know named Winslow Homer from Dog Trot Farm!!
Great post Denise, pretty flowers too!

mountain.mama said...

Outings with girlfriends are so much fun, especially with little doggie friends too.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Oooh I wish I lived closer, I would have loved to have gone off with you for the day.
I'm sure you laughed your frocks off, and a good time was had by all. Nothing short of a good old Knees up Mother Brown!
The flowers on the deck were just stunning, what kind are they ?
Yorkies have a special place in my heart, I used to have lots of them.
We had an English pub here in town, The Lady Godiva, but never really could hold onto the English atmosphere, and ended up closing.
Thanks for sharing your day with us, I thoroughly enjoyed it !

Tammie Lee said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful time with your friends. Your photos tell a wonderful tale of your time together.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely to see you with your friends Denise - I can just imagine how much fun you had - a lovely day. Hamish is very sweet, pretty little dog and the little Yorkie looked cute too. A x

Swarna said...

1. Hamish is adorable.
2. That's a good lesson on touching up blurry pictures.
3. Such G@G's (get-togethers) need a lot of prior planning if you're all physically far apart, so it's great that you did meet up.
4. I am not really fond of statues - (perhaps coz in India there is a politician who puts up statues of herself)

Rajesh said...

Flowers are very beautiful. Spending time with friends is the best thing one can do. It is most relaxing as you can chat and do whatever one wants when with close group of friends.

magiceye said...

such a wonderful day of bonding and cherishing memories!

mrsnesbitt said...

British gals together! How good is that!

Arija said...

It looks like you had a great day with the girls. Always nice to get together.

3c said...

I think I should say 'snap' because of the blurry flowers. (They seem to have come out very pretty!)

jabblog said...

What a lovely day you all had. Revisiting experiences of a shared culture is very special. Have all your English friends lived in the States as long as you?
Loved the video of Hamish playing football - so sweet :-)

tricia said...

Seems like you all had a great time. You certainly got some wonderful shots and the flowers are so pretty. I love what you did with the vase of flowers.

(Cute dogs)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: It looks like you had a great time, neat captures at the city with your friends.

Jack and Joann said...

Denise, always fun to share an outing to a new restaurant with old friends. Cute doggies and beautiful summer flowers. Quite a My World post. Joann P.S. I've just added you to my blog list because you are so much fun to read.

mommanator said...

wow what a post-everything from soup to nuts, enjoyed the read & pics, My mom used to have Brits day luncheons!

Carver said...

That looks like so much fun and a great tour of where you went to share on my world. I saw your post after this one and hope your son has a very happy birthday.

Kathiesbirds said...

Denise, what a lovely time! How nice to have such good friends. Can I join you for tea and have a scone and some clotted cream please? Yum!

koala said...

I hate all those 'No dogs allowed' stupid rules. I would take my dog everywhere if I could.
I always find it a bit funny how Brits go only to English pubs, eat British and keep all those rituals while away.

Smitten by Britain said...

Hiya,

I was browsing your blog and recognized the photo of the British pub. I live an hour north of Winchester now, but was born there 42 years ago. I blogged about that pub in May.
http://www.smittenbybritain.com/2009/05/just-me-and-mummsy.html