Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My World Tuesday

Gregg and I dropped off his van at the dealership in Manassas tonight and we decided to take the opportunity to go for a nice walk which took us over the battlefield. On our trip out we passed four small herds of deer, about 30 in total. It was a good time to spot them as the sun was going down. Driving out of the town there always seem be be several on the NOVA campus within sight of the road, and tonight was no exception. Gregg pulled in so that we could take some photographs and these were the best ones I could get.


This is the statue of Stonewall Jackson. We always pass him at the beginning of our walk. I have shared him before on another post some time ago.


There are several cannons at the beginning of our walk also. Here is one of them.

Gregg took this lovely photo of the Old Stone House, which we drive by on our way into Manassas. It is hard to see as it is the twilight hour.

I heard this bird up in the tree but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the shapes of birds to identify him. I wish I recognized more bird calls. Something to think about in the future.

No fabulous sunset tonight but the skies were still very pretty. We met a nice couple from 'up north' as they put it. They had just arrived in the area and were taking a walk here before checking into their hotel. We were asked several questions about this area and as their visit was short they wanted to know what we would recommend. I told them about the air and space museum on the way to the airport, which was in the general direction of their hotel. They were interested in Washington DC and Gregg told them about all the museums. We made a few more suggestions before we went our separate ways. We left them trying to read some of the historical markers and they were having difficulty because of the fading light.

You can just make out the shape of the Henry House in the photo below.

It was getting darker and we didn't want to risk tripping over our feet if we stayed any longer, and we made our way back to the car, first taking a couple of more shots of those pretty skies.



Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such your evening with us Denise. Your photos are always interesting and those of the deer are lovely. How fortunate for the visiting couple that you were able to share some of your local knowledge with them and you will probably be part of their story when they get back home! A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely evening walk you had. I enjoyed my vicarious trip to Manassas Denise - thank you! I agree with S J Anne - I'm sure you will becme part of the visitors' story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely deers and such a beautiful town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did get perfect shots of the dear..looks like he was posing for you..what nice antlers! That is something I don't see too often here. The skies are pretty and my favorite is the bird..wow, that would look great as a header too. I'm beginning to really enjoy statues- honestly, I see more on blogs. This was another neat post Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty sky. The shots of the deer are wonderful. You always have such interesting things to share. Thank you Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots. The shots of deer and the statue are magnificent.shipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo of the deer looks like he posed for you, Denise.
    What a delightful little journey you two had...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos Denise. We go by this place so often but I can never get Jack to take a walk with me over the battlefield. I should have been with you.

    On my blog I'm still doing Okinawa and now have some Japanese music for accompiment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting skies Denise and the deer images are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your deer photos are wonderful, Denise. I always enjoy reading your blog.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an amazing and quiet place. Battlefields emanate silence, I think. They become places of strange peace.

    Those are wonderful captures of the deer with his antlers in velvet. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have enjoyed the walk with you. Great skies! the deer is graciously posing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots of the deer. You do very well with point and shoot. The cameras are so clever these days you don't have to learn evrything. It sounded like a nice evening walk. Here it gets dark very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great little walk with some wonderful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great pis. love the Jackson ones and the bird, who cares what it is as long as you hear the warbling song!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tour. Lovely to see those deer at close range.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all great shots, especially of the deer! Very nice!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's very beautiful to help others to know your town. The photos are fantastic. I'm sure you enjoyed your walk. Now that your son got married, you two are like newly married couple. Enjoy your life with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful place! The deer shots are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful pictures Denise!
    I miss your blog so much and after our longgggggg weekend ( in fact we are enjoying this summer "on the road") to meet this fabulous post!
    Very inspiring!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of good stuff here today, Denise!! First, the deer photos are priceless.

    Jackson is one of my all-time favorite people. Nice angle on that second photo.

    Tastefully artistic shot of the bird silhouette and the Henry House is like a dream with that pastel background.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We share a few of the same followers. When I read the title of your blog "An English Girl Rambles", I assumed your blog originated in England. I was incorrect. I find it interesting that you are English; my sister-in-law is English as well. She has lived in the USA for over 25 years. My husband's brother met his wife while he was in the U.S. Air Force on assignment in England. Another point of interest to me is that you live in Virginia. My brother and sister-in-law lived near Leesburg, VA until recently. My husband and I visited his brother frequently over the past 11 years. I've never been to the Manassas Battlefield; it looks interesting. Perhaps one day my husband and I will visit the battlefield too. Your blog interests me, so I will start following you as of today. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty skies indeed!
    I love rambling with you.
    Aloha-
    Comfort Spiral-

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fun to follow your walk virtually through your lovely photos. This world is so different than my own.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a great place for a walk. A Park Ranger I work with worked there last year. He raves about the history. Great sunset shots.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I visited there with my daughter several years ago. I appreciated the beauty there (that you have captured so well) but it always makes me sad to visit battlefields, to consider what what happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What gorgeous pictures Denise. I love the deer shots, he was looking right at you !
    Such a beautiful place, I love the old stone home.
    It has a feel of "the homeland".
    Thanks for the tour, as always,delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos of the sky, and deer and other scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic photos, Denise! That is such an elegant deer. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photo of the buck in velvet. I have seen this condition upon occasion, however, never with a camera in my hand. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like you had a lovely walk, Denise. I love times like that! Thanks for taking me along! :)

    ReplyDelete