Monday, August 31, 2009

My World Tuesday - Another visit to Huntley Meadows Park

On Sunday we found ourselves heading in the direction of one of our favorite parks in Alexandria, Huntley Meadows. It is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable walks you can find yourself on, going through a beautiful wood and then finding yourself on a wooden path as you view the wetlands, and then back in the wood on your way to where you started.

Usually there are families here with their children but I think with the start of school many of our young people are either in school or getting ready for it. Consequently we only passed a few people along the trail and they were around our age, some with cameras, some with binoculars. This is a great birding area but unfortunately we didn't spot any other than a couple of Robins. Even the Red-Winged Blackbirds weren't around. We could hear lots of bird song in the trees but they were staying where they were, far too high for us to see them.

We have been passing this old vine along our walk for years. This time Gregg took a photo of it. We find it quite beautiful and say so every time we see it.

A friend, busy eating a nut and not taking much notice of us but when he did spot us he scrambled up the nearest tree trunk and was out of sight with his prize.

We see beauty everywhere, even in the old tree stumps.





At this time of year we also see the lichens and growing fungi, all different kinds, all different colors.





The leaves are changing colors but even though its pretty hot I think nature knows and can turn the switch.
There is also new life here showing no signs of giving in.


We see a few leaves that have fallen and are hanging by a golden thread, actually cobwebs. I tried desperately to get this one in focus but it was at the end of our walk and I was getting a wee bit tired. Gregg took the photo and captured it perfectly.


Like anywhere else there are signs that tell us what is going on in the park.

We noticed how lush and green it was here, such bright, healthy looking vegetation. There were lots of interesting plants and beautiful wildflowers. I don't know their names unfortunately so any help with identifying would be gratefully received.


With the flowers came their visitors. This Tiger Swallowtail was very active but landed long enough for me to take its photo.

The bumblebees were as always very active but I couldn't find one who was willing to turn around, so a back shot it was.

I found this insect extraordinary and I have never seen one quite like this before. Any ideas?

A nymph from a Cicada?

Here's a Skipper on a flower attached to a very interesting orange vine-like plant.

I have seen most every creature on this marker, all except the raccoon.

Gregg took these photos of the beautiful White Egret.



I don't know this water bird either but I am searching for his identity.

Lots of turtles sunning themselves on logs....

and one unexpected surprise, a deer out in the middle of the day. What a lovely way to end our walk.

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking right here.

34 comments:

  1. O how I loved your walk through Huntley Park! Enjoyed especially the shots of fungi and lichen! Amazing colours and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous walk indeed! Such fantastic shots! I feel as though I have been there myself. Wonderful colors, lovely paths to stroll along!

    Thanks for taking us along! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, enjoyed your walk through Huntley Park. You may have just inspired me to go for a walk tomorrow at a nature center near where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful hike through this beautiful preserve. You certainly saw a lot of interesting sights - the leaf caught in the web is a great shot! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful photos you captured, Denise. I enjoyed looking over you shoulder on this delightful journey through the park... and thanks for narrating.
    Have a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking us along on your walk.I love the wildness of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a place! Your photos are just beautiful and your insect shots are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing place.
    I could spend all day there, and never want to leave. You have the most interesting places to visit, and take all those fantastic photos, you so kindly share with us.
    I love the turtle :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic walk, Denise! So lovely and your pictures are exceptional, especially the butterfly and the leaf in the web.
    Thanks for taking me along.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an awesome park! How nice for you to have it close by. I enjoyed all the wildlife and flowers you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Denise, how beautiful. What a wonderful walk! The wildlife, the plants, the leaf in mid fall! I want to walk with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have words enough to tell you how much I love such nature walks! Reading this was like having a wonderful experience. Lovely shots shared. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I live in Alexandria for years and never know about this park?? It is so beautiful and your pictures were so good that it makes me feel homesick for the east coat and I rarely do. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome place to walk. so many amazing things to see. Thanks for taking me along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exceptionally beautiful place. The walking trail is very nice and the scenes a round are mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed walking through that beautiful park with you. I love that leaf hanging by cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an awesome world! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow Denise, these pictures are outstanding!I special love that cute turtle!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some stunning shots in there, absolutely beautiful - what a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your world is full of nature... beautiful nature! I love all the photos, especially of the animals.

    Thanks for the nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful wonderful visit to your world today!
    I truly enjoyed the walk through these woods, they reminded me of the parks around were I lived before I moved to V., close to you, but on the other side of the Potomac river.

    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely walk through the park. Such an abundance of creatures to see too. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That mystery bug is beautiful... in a way. Marvelous shot!

    The flying egret is really good, too. Do you and Gregg share the same camera? My wife doesn't like to use my camera. She prefers her simpler compact one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful walk. I almost felt like a was their. Great photography.

    You have an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great series of photos - it is a great park, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for sharing these lovely views of your walk through the woods. I feel refreshed and much cooler for the virtual visit. Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Denise, I can see why you visited there again, what an amazing place for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You and Gregg are very observant nature lovers. I especially enjoyed all the fungi and lichen photos, the leaf caught in a web, and the awesome insects. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely lovely photos! :) Such a wonderful park to walk about.. And the tall trees.. Birds, insects, animals.. I loved the captured leaf and the mushhrooms on the trunks among many other photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved this visit with you, all such interesting photos. Love all the mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such a beautiful post Denise. The only thing that is wrong with it is that my internet speed is now so poor that it takes for ever to load the pages. I'm very sad. If you've noticed I've not been commenting as much as I used to. I miss seeing all your beautiful photograhs and want you to know I'm reading your posts but don't always comment because then the page has to reload. I'm hoping we can fix this problem but until then know I'm out here. Your photos here are stunning and very artistic! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have some very interesting photos on your blog. I would like to take time to stroll along your posts some more. Thanks for sharing and happy September to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for visiting everyone, always lovely to read your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing your Huntley Meadows visits with me. I looked at each post that you have labeled Huntley Meadows and chose to comment here. This post reminds me more than the others of the walk we took through the woods, of the boardwalk trail through the wetlands that we found at the edge of the woods, and how quiet and peaceful was the walk. I hope that we have another opportunity to visit this wonderful park. I hope that opportunity presents itself on a cooler, less humid day than the day on which we visited the park!

    ReplyDelete