Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lake Anne Village Farmer's Market

The Farmer's Market starts at 8.00 a.m. and to get there we were up pretty early. Gregg did a double take when I strode into the family room showered and dressed before he was. He usually gets up at around 5.30 a.m. most mornings when I am still snoring my head off, and as I didn't get to sleep until almost two a.m. he was very surprised when I walked in just as breezy and chirpy as if I had had eight hours sleep, which is usually what I need to be this bright and cheerful.

The only other time such a strange phenomena occurs is when we are on vacation, when I am eager to get on the road to see what is on the other side of that hill. I am a nomad at heart and so is he. In fact I think Gregg peaked my interest even more after our marriage, and it has been an ongoing wonderful journey. I am always the cautious 'let's stick to the map' kind of person. He is the 'follow your nose' traveler, which always makes it much more interesting. I always print out directions to wherever we need to go and he takes one look at them, tosses them on the back seat and says, "We can do better than that!" (he can) and off we go.

We never get tired of wanting to see what's on the other side of that hill and on this day our destination just happened to be a short car journey to the market. I was looking forward to getting there at opening time for a leisurely walk around. The last one we went to we didn't realize it closed at noon and we arrived five minutes to twelve. We had to do a quick shop because everyone was eagerly packing their goods away to get out of there. I didn't want that to happen today.

We left the house at 6.30 a.m. and got there early so that we could have breakfast at the Lake Anne Coffee House. We have been here once before and we enjoyed it very much. It is a comfortable and casual place to start the day and is used by many of the locals.

Still early, we decide to walk on the wooden path at the side of the lake. It had rained pretty hard the evening before, and that night. Everywhere looked very damp and we were wondering if those clouds would bring even more rain. But no, I didn't need to hop under this nice umbrella that was covering every bench at intermittent spots along the way. A good place for shade from the sun as well as protection from the rain.

There were several people out and about and Gregg took this photo of one lady enjoying a quiet moment reading her book....

and another of this man walking his dog.

I wonder if they lived in this building? It was situated half way down that wooden path.
There was a tai chi class.

I have thought that I might join one. Gregg has to say something funny about that idea and this is the smile he gets in response, a smile but no raspberries today and no, I am not talking about the produce at the market am I Gregg? When he does get that response he usualy smiles and says, "Ah the English girl, so eloquent!" Usually I only use the ultimate defense when I can't think of a quick come-back, childish I know but it always makes him laugh.

Gregg also took this photo of the kayak and I immediately thought, my goodness, the person who rowed over to pick up some produce must be very skilled, like our good friend Cloudia over at Comfort Spiral who has been talking about kayaking along Waikiki. I think if I rowed this kayak the produce and I would be upside down in 'the drink'. Because of the rain you can see all the sediment churned up from the bottom. Always happens after a heavy rain I suppose and it was only in a small patch.

This is a young girl selling homemade bread that her Dad makes in his kitchen. I don't remember the name of his company and they didn't have any business cards, but we bought several loaves, a couple are in the freezer. I gave one away to a friend. Gregg and I are always on the look out for a good homemade bread at these places. There were several varieties and we bought two wholewheat loaves, one white, a Cornmeal bread and some Challah rolls, which I also shared with my friend, along with a couple of ears of corn and a few tomatoes. We dropped them off that afternoon. Yes I went a little overboard on the bread buying but it all looked so darned good. I always say, "I didn't realize I had bought that many" as we are stuffing them into the boot of the car. My brain does not see portion control. I'm working on it.

All the produce looked very colorful and no one minded when I asked if I could take photos.

We bought onions and tomatoes....

and corn which Gregg is checking out.....

and more tomatoes.

There was even a stall selling buffalo meat.


I bought a jar of bread and butter pickles.
Here I am buying some of those tomatoes and onions. That's me with my arm sticking up in the air, photo curtesy of Gregg. At least he is not taking a picture of me walking away. No 'behind' pictures today, thank you My Sweet. Maybe it's the fact that I threatened to take one of yours next time? Yes I am joking, or am I? Hmmmm.......let's ponder!

The last few photos are also ones that Gregg took.

There were the musicians....

and the politicians.

We had a great time at Lake Anne's farmers market and now we're on the look-out for another one this weekend. The bread and the produce we bought here was delicious and up to expectations.

Yes it has been fun but it's time to see what's on the other side of that hill, you know, the one over there.

19 comments:

Sunny said...

What a fantastic farmers' market! We only have about 10 stands at ours, it's very old town New England, which I really love, but not a huge selection.
Your pictures are really great, especially all the veggies.
Sunny :)

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

You've made me hungry for a loaf of bread, home baked of course. My mother, when she was alive, would make bread and buns quite frequently. Mom would make the bread the old-fashioned way. She would knead the dough by hand, let it rise, give it a good swat with her hand and punch it down and let it rise again. The smell throughout the house when the bread was baking was divine. My husband, Bob, makes bread on occasion. He uses a bread machine that I won at his company picnic several years ago. It's been a while since Bob made bread. I'll have to request a loaf of bread.

Faye Pekas said...

Now thats what I call a farmers market. What a great place. We have nothing to equal that at our Farmers Market. Great shots and looks like a lot of fun.

Ebie said...

Denise, let us support our local farmers. This is a very interesting story. Both of you share the same interest. Your face and smile has not changed from the last photo of when Brad celebrated his birthday, a few posts down. Great to see your happy and cheerful smile.

Kay said...

Gosh! I really enjoyed being an arm chair traveler here, especially since I had such a great tour guide. This was such a lot of fun, Denise. Your photos were as gorgeous as ever but my favorite was your raspberry expression.

Becca's Dirt said...

Great post. I enjoyed the tour. The farmers market ususally has anything your looking for.

Roy said...

Bread and Butter Pickles ???

Viola said...

Hi! A long time since I last visited your blog.. What a great story and many beautiful photos! It seems like you and your husband are quite wonderful explorers :)

Cloudia said...

What a beautiful smile you show us today!

that does look like a tippy kayak;
thanks for thinking me balanced and for the friendly hot-link.

Lovely colors. I love being part of your world!

Aloha, friend

Comfort Spiral

tricia said...

You always make your posts so interesting and so much fun and of course your photos are always wonderful. Thanks for sharing Denise-- and for being such a sweetheart.

Glennis said...

Farmers markets are great places. The fruit and vegetables looks so pretty in jewel colours.

AL said...

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for touring me around Lake Anne Farmer's Market. We will have a farmer's market photo challenge on Saturday Aug 29, so if you would like to join, you're a most welcomed.

AL

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Denise, your pictures are wonderful!This farmer's market is a busy place and I would love to be there to take a promenade and shopping!People seems to be enjoying a lot the event!
Léia

magiceye said...

thank you so much for a lovely tour of lake anne's

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Wonderful photos and commentary, Denise. Thank you for popping over to mine and leaving the beautiful comment about my dear (late) godfather. Sorry it has taken me a while to come back. Life's a bit topsy turvy at the moment. Hxx

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the tour! It was great to see the market through your eyes! Our market is much smaller!

mommanator said...

looks like you had a great time, and good eats to boot!

Denise said...

Thanks ever so for leaving all these lovely comments. Have a great weekend everyone. I have enjoyed visiting your blogs.

Louise said...

What a great farmers' market! I need to find a good one. My favorite photo is the lady reading on the bench. It looks like it should be in a magazine.