Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I went to the movies yesterday and saw Julie & Julia

First of all, today is the birthday of a dear friend of mine and I would like to say, Happy Birthday Gail. She is a sweet lady I met several years ago when we found ourselves working together. We have been good friends ever since.

For Gail's birthday I wanted to do something special. Her gifts to me in the past have always been not only wonderful, but very thoughtful. Without even knowing that she was paying careful attention to every word I said, she has gotten a pretty good idea of my favorite things, and always bought gifts accordingly. She is like this with all her friends and a great friend she is to all of us.

So, with all this being said I asked her if she would like to go out to lunch yesterday and would she also be interested in going to see Julie & Julia? That was my birthday gift this year. We had a wonderful time, went to The Red Fox Inn in Middleburg for an early lunch, and then drove over to The Reston Town Center where there was a 1.10 p.m. showing.

I think Meryl Street is an excellent choice for Julia Child. She WAS Julia. I am not too familiar with Julie Powell but intend to start reading her blog which you can find here. You may know of her already as she has a large following and I am late to the game but I do intend to catch up on reading her blog. It seemed that Amy Adams did an excellent job playing her. In fact I enjoyed all the actors in this movie, everyone was great and 'real'.

I don’t want to give too much away but it showed a different side of Julia Child than we’ve been used to, telling of the great love she had with her husband Paul, played brilliantly by Stanley Tucci. Gregg and I have good memories watching Julia from years ago on her cooking shows. She was so much fun, didn't give a hoot if she dropped anything, or if something went wrong. She just got on with it and always with that wonderful laugh, so it was fun to see the story of her life and how she got into cooking.

Another favorite was Julia’s sister portrayed by Jane Lynch. We know this actress through watching Two-And-A-Half Men. Her character is Charlie’s psychiatrist and Gregg and I have enjoyed her in that role for some time. She has perfect timing and in her conversations with Charlie, delivers her lines beautifully and with panache. Kudo's to her and to the person who writes for that show. We often laugh out loud at some of the one-liners she dishes out to her patient. Her role in this movie is very different and shows another side of her fine acting skills.

To get back to Julie & Julia, the language is a little ripe at times but it isn't overly done and even though I try not to drop anything out in my own times of stress and sometimes fail, a curse word every now and again doesn't bother me too much. I have seen and heard worse in other movies. The only thing I was surprised at were the movie trailers. The ones being run with the movie are a bit bizarre in that they do not not fit in with the theme of this movie, a horrific one about a child’s murder, that was about the worst. I don’t really understand that at all so if you are seeing the movie be warned just in case you have the same trailers, but once those are out of the way you can sit back and enjoy Julie & Julia.

As some of you know Gregg and I were in Washington DC a few weeks ago, and while in the Museum for American History we visited Julia Child's Massachusetts kitchen. One thing I didn't realize is that she had all the counters specially raised to accommodate her height. She was 6 ft. 2 in. I found that out in the movie when Julie Powell and her husband visited the exhibit.

At the time I had no idea that the movie was coming out so this was a happy coincidence. I was going to share these photos in a few weeks but decided to put them in with today's post.

She had an amazing collection of pots and pans and a wonderful kitchen.

There is a video showing one of her cooking shows.....

and this is a quote from the great lady herself, "Above all, have a good time!"

I will Julia, I will. My grateful thanks to Julia and Julie for a very special day out, one now in heaven merrily clanging her pots and pans with all her loved ones around her I like to think, and the other whose feet are firmly planted in the blogging world, and who is now a published author. You showed my friend and me an incredibly enjoyable afternoon and I see a visit to the book store in the not too distant future.

Something I found on YouTube.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Denise for this wonderful post. I loved to watch Julia Child when she was on PBS. Meryl Streep is such an excellent actress, I can't wait to see the movie.
    I'm glad that you and your friend had such a nice day.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My granddaughter an I went to see the movie on Sunday afternoon, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I liked Julia Child in her cooking shows, aristocratic yet down to earth funny.
    I would have enjoyed seeing her kitchen replica, all the cooking utensils, and gadgets.
    Thanks for a lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater. Lunch and a movie was a good birthday present. I'm glad that you and your friend had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A homey kitchen and a great collection of pans, but in a down to earth way I had not expected from a celeb. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of Julia Child Denise but liked what I saw in the You Tube video. Obviously quite a character. I have heard of the film though so will keep an eye out for it. I loved your post. A lovely birthday outing for your friend too. A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed the movie, Denise. I'm looking forward to seeing this one (love ANYTHING with Meryl Streep in!) when it comes out here in mid-September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still watch Julia Child on PBS. They have started running her shows 'Baking with Julia' several times a week. She was one of a kind. I'm glad you had a nice day with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful homage Denise!
    I didn't know this show Julia, I think it's not open in Brazil. Anyway looks cool and I will search on internet to get more about the movie and the TV show.Thanks dear friend!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a fabulous post, Denise. Thank you very much. It just so happens my daughter and I watched Mama Mia! tonight with Meryl Streep. I really love Meryl Streep. I think I'll like her as Julia even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I have never heard of Julia Child but thanks to you and the video I now who she was and I will look forward to seeing the movie. I like Meryl Streep too. That was a good idea for a birthday present and the places looked nice on the links.
    You asked me if I had kept in touch with school friends. I have but only 2 and we don't have contact very often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise, I had never heard of Julia Child before, but she looks like a very nice lady with a great sense of humour! Thanks for the wonderful post and above all the video! Now I know who Julia Child is! And great that you saw that movie. I saw Meryl Streep several times on TV. She is a great actress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that was quite a post! thanks for the history of Julia Child, I didnt particularly like her, but somehow found myself watching her every time she was on!? something made me go back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post Denise, sounds like you enjoyed yourselves.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me happy I did not know about the movie and I did not know about Julia - BUT now I most see it, thank you for telling me, thank you, thank you.
    It is difficult to write in a different language - it is hard to get the ups and downs in a language that is not your mother tongue.
    I can write you made me happy but it is much more then that, sorry I can not explain it better.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope to see this movie, if not this weekend, very soon. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Also like the photos from your visit of the 'real' kitchen.

    Leedra’s Photos For Fun


    Leedra’s Greeting Cards


    Photography By Leedra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review. I was wondering if I would like this movie. I saw a short piece about it on CBS Sunday Morning. The commentator was raving about Meryl Streep. I was surprised about Julia Child's husband and how much he loved her. If that is a big part of the movie I would like to see it I think.

    BTW, I've finally posted an update about Gus and Blossom on my blog. Thanks for all your kind concern. They are both doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I want to visit that kitchen! You always go the coolest places.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the movie was wonderful, I went for my B'Day with my Mom and Sis..great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by everyone. I am happy you enjoyed my post. I will always remember Julia Child fondly.

    ReplyDelete