Saturday, August 29, 2009

Farmer's Market Challenge.

Often on the weekend you will find us at various farmer's markets in the area and I have already shared one we went to in Reston which you can find here. This one we found in the city of Fairfax, Virginia.


Many of these places have their own entertainment, a nice background music while shopping.

With Fall fast approaching the Farmer’s Market season will be coming to an end until next year. I was listening to Rachel Ray the other day who is a big advocate of farmers' markets. She said why not buy more than you need and freeze or can their produce to last you through the winter months. I might not have time to do that for the whole winter, but I thought what a great idea . The next one I go to I will definitely be buying more than I usually do.

I am participating in The Farmers' Market Challenge, hosted by the Squirrel Queen. What a great way to get the word out in support of our local farmers. Thank you Squirrel Queen. You can join in by clicking here.


Added note:

I love to read all the comments to each post, and try to answer every one of them but sometimes it’s a little hard to keep up even with all the trying. I just wanted to say here and now how grateful I am to you for stopping by my blog and to thank each and every one of you who let me know that you have. I promise I will do my best to return the visit eventually. To all the drop-byes who don’t leave a comment because of the time factor or who speak another language, thank you.

I read my comments to this post so far and thought it would be a good idea to mention this one from Lily at“blahwg Life on the Farm.” She has some good tips on freezing food and writes:

It takes very little time to freeze the produce. For our green beans, I just snap off the tips and break the biggest ones in half and drop them in a quality zip-lock gallon bag. They last for months. I do not wash them until time to cook. We freeze our corn the same way, without removing it from the cob. We even freeze tomatoes! We grate up the extra zucchini and freeze it too, so it's ready whenever we want to make fresh zucchini bread. So listen to Rachel and stock up for winter before it's too late!

19 comments:

  1. Wow! Your farmer's market looks much bigger than mine... and they have music! Cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having trouble keeping up with posts while traveling back and forth, but have read all the ones I missed. You certainly keep busy!
    The pastina dish looks great I may have to try always looking for easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to buy extra for winter. I'll bet listening to the music was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do canning but I do freeze fruits for smoothies. I love farmers markets. They call them Open Markets over here. I have no idea why they don't just call them Farmer's Markets. It's always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought Rachel's magazine today - and that's good advice to buy more and freeze for later.

    I like the photo of the musicians! That's a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time SQ hosts a FMC, I see all these fabulous, fancy, mall-type markets and it makes me feel bad for my little town. Now I don't! Your pictures remind me of our local market. (Except for the musicians.) We just have tents and tables in the parking lot of our bike trail depot.

    My health has prevented me from getting pictures of it this summer, so I just posted my farm pics. Thanks for visiting my FMC post.

    It takes very little time to freeze the produce. For our green beans, I just snap off the tips and break the biggest ones in half and drop them in a quality zip-lock gallon bag. They last for months. I do not wash them until time to cook. We freeze our corn the same way, without removing it from the cob. We even freeze tomatoes! We grate up the extra zucchini and freeze it too, so it's ready whenever we want to make fresh zucchini bread.

    So listen to Rachel and stock up for winter before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go every weekend , wish I could roam from one to another all around the world..sk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise: That looks like a neat place with the entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea to buy up for winter. Your photos are great as always. I haven't been to a farmer's market in years. I think I might try to get one or two trips in before the season ends here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice market, and also your lovely profile told me a lot about you. Congratulations on gaining a daughter this summer! And thanks for the tour through your market. We have musicians as well in Bellingham, but they are competing with each other so much that the sound can be overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always love a Farmers Market, plenty of good food to be had.
    Great shots, and I bet Music too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've noticed farmers markets in my town and other towns in the area ever since I started reading your blogs about the farmers markets you visit. I never much paid attention to the markets before. Our farmers markets are much smaller than the ones you have visited. I like Lily's suggestions on freezing vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is something about the atmosphere of a farmer's market that is so satisfying.

    I just recently bought a pressure cooker to learn to take advantage of fresh fruit and veggies while in season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Denise,

    What a lovely farmers' market, it looks like it would be a lot of fun to shop. Thanks for the tips from Rachel Ray and I do hope folks will heed her words. As I was growing up my family always had a garden and the last part of the summer was for canning and freezing the harvest.

    Our markets here will run until the end of October so I will probably do two more challenges. I do hope you will join us. I know some folks are going to be taking photos from their county fairs.

    Thanks again,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Denise,

    Thank you for taking part with the photo challenge. The farmer's market is very entertaining, I seldom see farmer's market with background music playing while shopping. Very relaxing. Hahaha. Thanks for sharing.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Farmer's Market day for me. I'm seeing them all over blogland. There are none close to me, but I have to figure out how to get to one on a weekend.

    As for returning comments and visits. It's HARD. I'm always, ALWAYS behind. I think most people understand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post and very informative!I loved your shots and these musicians are in great style!
    thanks for the Rachel Ray's link and all information.
    And...take it easy about comments and blogging! It's just for fun, isn't it!?
    You are a great friend dear Denise and all of us understand what you you meant.
    God bless you
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Denise, that looks like a great weather for a Farmers Market! Ours here is so urban, hehehe, held at the mall outdoors! Its cool to have a live music as background!
    Ebie's Farmers Market

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for visiting everyone. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete