Saturday, July 4, 2009

TODAY'S FLOWERS

My thanks to David over at Authorblog for including me in his Post of the Day.

This afternoon we stopped off at Cabell's Mill which is across the road from Walney Pond. The Mill was built in 1785 and was purchased in 1935 by David and Ellanor Lawrence. The Lawrences transformed the old mill into a reception hall and hosted many Washington notables which included Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.

There was a wedding reception going on as we walked around the grounds and we took several photos of flowers. Some of the flowers had visitors which is always a nice bonus.






We crossed the road to the pond. It was lovely but a bit too warm for me. No beaver or groundhogs today. I think they were hiding from all the people, and at one point a car alarm went off scaring away any further hopes of me taking animal pictures, except maybe of one or two dogs. Usually it is very quiet but this was after all the 4th of July. The gazebo had a party, the barbecue was in full use, children were running around excitedly enjoying their freedom and so were the dogs, even though they were on very long leashes, and the beavers and groundhogs were burrowing deeper into their dens.



(Back across the road at the Mill a recording of Elvis Presley was floating through the air as he was heard singing The First Dance). I chatted with a young boy who had found a large frog at the water's edge. He was trying to capture it in a bucket. When I bent down to take a picture of it before it disappeared under the wooden path, I had a vision of me falling into the water head first, and that might have looked a funny sight to some but I wouldn't have enjoyed it. The little boy left without his frog and I left without my photo. I was glad for the frog's escape from the bucket. I was also glad to go home as it was getting very muggy and I was feeling a bit light-headed. Heat I can take, humidity I can't. I wish I wasn't such a wimp about it but that hasn't changed since that first summer in America all those years ago.


We spent our 4th of July quietly for the first time in several years. Gregg's Dad and his wife are visiting his brothers and sisters in North Dakota, and our son is on his honeymoon. Our niece and her young man left last Tuesday. Even though they are all missed, our day was beautiful and after all the excitement of our son's wedding we are now coming back to earth and things are returning to normal.


Gregg wanted to visit his Mom at Arlington Cemetery and so we got up early and were there by 8.30 a.m. We had brought roses which we placed on her grave. We miss her though it was not a time for sadness but one of warm reflection. Our memories went back to all the other 4th of July celebrations we shared with her and they were very happy times. One more stop to visit the grave of other friends and we were on our way to our son and daughter-in-law's apartment to see if we had missed any maildrops. We had and we took their mail upstairs. After a few minutes of rest we left for home.


It was a special day in so many ways, because also today was my first 4th of July as an American Citizen. When we got back home Gregg took a picture of me standing underneath the flag hanging over our front door. I think I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. I took my Citizenship test last September and when I think of that day, well that grin just spreads from ear to ear.


Getting back to where I started this post off, after a couple of hours rest at home we found ourselves wanting to walk around another favorite spot, one that we have frequented regularly as you've probably noticed from previous posts perhaps. Here we are at Walney Pond again. There are plenty of bright red berries around to attract the birds but even they are hiding. We decided to leave them until another day. Elvis Presley was still singing at the wedding reception and Gregg and I wished the newlyweds over at the Mill a long and happy life together. Hard to believe that a week ago today we were celebrating our own son's wedding to his new bride. The past week has gone by so fast and I feel like I have been sleeping for most of it, but then I don't feel so bad as Gregg has been a wee bit tired as well. I will have some wedding photos to share in my next post.


TODAY’S FLOWER’S is a wonderful meme created by Luiz Santilli Jr. and is managed by Luiz, Laerte Pupo, Valkyrien and me. You can find great flowers and also share your own by clicking on the button below. The link opens every Sunday.



75 comments:

  1. A beautiful post. Enjoyed the flowers, and how you spent the 4th.
    BTW, I always forget to mention, you have a lovely photo! Enjoy a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are getting back to normal in your household.I really enjoyed your post today and the photos are great. I find it hard to catch the "Todays Flowers" meme open. It opens after I've gone to bed and then it is too late when I get up on Monday.Thats all because we are ahead in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the tour. The house is memorable. No wonder our royalty have visited. I wonder if Bush visited? Probably not. Anyway, the Purple Cone Flowers are lovely and the bees on them are typical of what we see here now. They are the most visited flowers we have. Butterflies -- birds later for the seeds -- insects of all kinds are on them from daylight to dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers. 2nd & 3rd is my fav ;)

    My entry this week : in HERE. I hope you have time to visit. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise: What a neat look at the flowers of that area. Thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes... beautiful post... how bright and yummy those raspberries look!!

    Take care and rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flowers and the old building is just beautiful. It is so nice to have you back Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great macro shots Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos, the first one of the bee is stunning! I also loved the Cone flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what wonderful photos, and great narrative. Love your header photo also.....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  11. woof denise!
    all your flowers sing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Denise,
    Since I love white flowers is the white my favourite and the one above it too ! Today´s Flowers surely is a wonderful idea !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some really beautiful shots here. Your words flowed easily. I enjoyed reading your 'reflections.'

    Hope your Sunday is full of color!

    My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Denise! I simply love those visiters on the flowers! And the third last photo is exquisite! All are beautiful - but that one captured my heart! Lovely!

    And the house looks interesting!

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! I was just reading your introduction, about when you moved to the US and when your son was born.... and then straight into a post that mentions he just got married! WOW! I hope you have all had a great time with the celebrations! Thanks for visiting my blog and the nice things you said! We haven't been to Devon yet- well only a bit, when we went to the New Forest the other year for a few days. We haven't decided where to go this summer yet though!

    You take really brilliant photo's!!

    :@}

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed both looking at all these beautiful photos and reading your words; happy and sad at the same time, but that is life. Cone flowers are really lovely and a bee photo is just great. Raspberries are so inviting. This post is wonderful, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots...every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed this post so much. Beautiful photography of a lovely garden and also a thoughtful written piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you and hubby had a perfect day. Nice to spend a day relaxing. Again congratulations on becoming a citizen of the good ole USA. With all of our faults, it's still the best place around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do love your Bumble bees, in Australia we don't have any. It is always nice to see old childhood friends.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful post about a beautiful place!Your photos are grand!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great flowers series!.
    The flowers with bees are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi neighbor! Great photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,
    Your writing is so nice with all these flowers, insects and little fruits.
    The white flover, what a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely post of flowers, berries and critters!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your comments on my site :) Beautiful photos you have got here in your post! :) I had to laugh a little when you wrote you could have fall in the water!! Take care next time! And for your camera as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are gorgeous - I can't pick any favorite, they are all great! Thank you for your visit and greetings from Croatia.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very beautiful photos and a wonderful story. I love all of your photos but the ones with bees are by far my favorites.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  29. So beautiful and perfect.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely post Denise. Thank you for sharing your 4 July with us and showing such lovely flowers. Sounds are though you are very relaxed now since the hectic lead-up to the wedding. A x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really enjoyed this posting so much ....and the photos are stunners...the cone flowers is the best I think...the old house is amazing...sounds like you are busy..cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are stunning. I am glad you got these. Those are welcome visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Some beautiful shots and a great narration, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I fell straight for those berries!

    ReplyDelete
  35. coneflowers have such lastability

    ReplyDelete
  36. Denise your flowers and photos are an absolute delight!Love seeing bugs n blooms!smiling NG

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the pictures with the bees and the Echinacea which also grows in my garden and blooms in late August. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. lovely flowers in your garden, i love the red flower or something like a fruit. happy monday.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your flower series - even though I can only name the Echinaceas :)
    The pretty start-shaped ones I've never seen before.
    The big flower from my blog is a hollyhock - as I've been told by well informed visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, all are so lovely and interesting storry that goes with the photos. Love the visitors too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Lovely 'travel log' but the magnolia blossom really made me smile-BIG.
    Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just loved all your photos, Denise!

    Good week for you and thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love all the flowers and its visitors.Thank you for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello from Hyde, Cheshire.
    I found your writing as pleasing as your pictures.. I'm sure our paths will cross again in blog land again soon...

    Tom
    Fuchsia & Raindrops

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are beautiful flowers and beautiful photographs. I also enjoy to go with you through your peaceful daily life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Denise

    Wonderful photos!
    You are a great photographer!
    Thanks my friend for these beauty!
    Have a nice week.

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  47. thank you once visited a village home pages, and here is a beautiful image:)

    have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful, the bees were too having a feast at the wedding reception :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow Denise, great pics... Happy to have found your blog... :) U've a great blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey, when time permits drop into my blog too (www.flutteringandwandering.blogspot.com)...

    ReplyDelete
  51. wonderful captures! the insects are also amazing on the beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for sharing your thought and experiences! I hope that you have cooler weather now! We had two weeks of heatwave until yesterday and then it started to rain and at the same time there was a heavy thunderstorm, which I really hate since my house was hit by lightning some years ago. The rain though was good!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This was a well written post, enjoyed reading it very much and the pictures of the flowers were beautiful. Looks like you had a good time, thank you for coming by, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is a beautiful post, Denise. The coneflower is perfect - all the others are lovely as well. Cabel's Mill is a real jewel, isn't it? My daughter is a portrait photographer, and she often uses it as her "studio." I;m so glad the wedding went well, and I'm anxious to see the pix.

    ReplyDelete
  55. wow a lot of beautiful flowers here...thanks for sharing Denise...take care and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Had to visit again, and congratulate you with being mentioned on Post Of The Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. what a beautiful flowers i love the cute white flower so dainty and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  58. lovely story and pics! the insects seem to love them too. smiles. great 4th memories. can only image what it was like at Arlington. congrats on the POTD mention.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Congratulations on becoming a US citizen AND getting an honourable mention on authorblog.

    Gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Great shots, and congrats for Davids POTD

    ReplyDelete
  61. What a lovely old house. The flowers and little bug hosts are amazing, you can see right through their wings !
    I always feel as though I've had a day out when I visit your blog, such wonderful pictures, relaxing, and absolutely as perfect a shot, as one can take.
    Thanks Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Beautiful photos! Congrats on the Post of the Day mention from authorblog!

    ReplyDelete
  63. very very very pretty! they're all very pretty, but i love that 6th photo... it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Congratulations on your citizenship! Nicely done with the pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Wow, Denise your blog is really taking off! I love the flowers, especially the first one. Do you have a makro lens to get the bee so big on there?
    Bytheway, someone commented on my blog of today (flowers of high altitudes) and it disappeared in the process of comment moderation - so I'm huntong for the author. (The name started with a D. I'm curious - if it's you, would you be so kind to comment again? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Lovely post, Denise. How nice you spent a quite 4th of July. Pretty cone flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Just Gorgous!!!!! All of them.
    Have a great week. Smiles Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  68. What a wonderful post. The flowers are beautiful and the shots are magnificent! It was nice reading how you spent your 4th. I remember the post about you becoming a citizen, something those of us born here tend to take for granted sometimes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  69. What a beautiful account Denise! Amazing flowers as well and sure the visitors are wonderful bonus.

    My world has more photos of the main event mentioned in my main blog and thank you for all your wonderful visit and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Such beautiful, delicate macros - I love the first of the bee. And I see the berries are already ripening in your part of the world; we'll have to wait until september before we can pick ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hi Denise. Great story to go with your fab photos. The purple coneflowers with the black background is top notch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Thanks for the beautiful post, love the flowers and the warm description of it all, I felt as thopugh I was there with you.
    Congrats new citizen!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Wow, those are some awesome flower shots! Just out of interest (sorry I'm being very nosy) why did you become an American citizen after living/being married to an American for so long. I hope the gist of that question makes sense!

    ReplyDelete