Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

I am very much in my happy place. Our newlyweds arrive home this afternoon and Gregg and I are going to the airport to meet them. I can't wait to hear all about their trip to Italy, but obviously am going to hold my horses because I know they are going to be tired after their journey, which was a nine hour flight and then some, plus a layover in Munich which was about three hours.

I found this photo of Julius Caesar and it seemed appropriate considering where they have just come from. This photo is actually one I took in Las Vegas a couple of years ago outside of Caesar's Palace.

The quote seemed appropriate too. Experience is something we all learn from. I love the fact that they were able to spend their honeymoon overseas. Traveling is a great education and broadens the mind. We not only see the beauty that the world has to offer but we also meet people from different cultures and get to experience things we have only read about or seen in photographs, on the TV or in movies. Experience and understanding brings the world a little closer. We're fortunate enough to live in a very diverse area culturally. I have always had a great love of meeting people from different countries.

Even as a little girl living in the heart of England, I remember a good friend from school. Her name was Savitri and she was from India. She was a beautiful girl and she had told me that she performed as a traditional Indian dancer, which I was totally impressed with because at the age of 12 I couldn't put two feet together to form a single step. She tried to teach me a little but my two left feet were impossible to point in any other direction than left!

I also remember being fascinated looking into the window of an Indian shop. On my way home from school I had to walk through town and the shop window was one of the few places that always drew me to it - my dislike of shopping was apparent even at this age - though I was always too shy to go inside. There were so many exotic looking things on display. I had a particular fascination for the beautiful jewelry, especially the earings. I still love earings. My mother had an Aunt who lived in India for a while. There was a wonderful photo of her taken there. I also watched Indian movies on the TV, they always seemed to be musicals and I may have mentioned this before in a previous post way back, I got to be a very good reader because of the subtitles in English and I became a bit of a speed reader. No surprise that I have always wanted to visit India and perhaps - and I dearly hope - I will one day.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Refreshing to see that someone else shares my feelings of broadening minds by sharing other people's lives. It's a big world out there ... I am now an expat and am so glad that I chose to leave home all those years ago. I have experienced so much and feel a whole lot better as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Denise, I do hope you get to visit India someday. And I can't wait to see the beautiful photos you will show us of your trip! I'm a greedy soul because I'm also hoping your young people will have photos of their trip to Italy and you will be sharing those as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wanderlust and your joy with us today!!

    Aloha-

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you will be tickled to see both of them. Hopefully this week-end you can get caught up with everything including their trip. Do they have to go back to work on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Indian culture is fascinating. I hope you get to visit India someday.
    Hope the newlyweds had lots of fun in Italy. How could they not? Must have been a wonderful experience and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right. It is good to visit other countries and cultures. I think it keeps us in perspective and stos us being narrow minded. I'm glad your young ones got to go to Italy. As for India, I hope you get there one day. I doubt that I will. BB is not fussed on Indians after having a few bad experiences here with Indian doctors. We did see the movie 'Slumdog Millionaire', which we both loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a great blog on my sidebar called my room. Kavita is from India and really shows off her country beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to this! I'd love to go to India too, I'm thinking it might be my 'next big trip'. I'd like to go to Nepal too, my cousin went there and it captured his heart. Although to be fair, my list of countries I want to visit is not particularly short! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! Finally found time after our quick trip to Ohio and the catch up laundry and gardening after the trip to check your son's wedding day.
    It looks like a wonderful and memorable day. The bride was gorgeous and the groom was handsome and so happy looking. I liked the bubble launch for the bridal couple. Very nice church. Is is Catholic or Episcopal? And may I ask the name of it? Sorry I'm late with commenting on your recent big day.

    Now love the pics of the Grand Canyon. Been there and done most of that---likewise Las Vegas. But can't to hear about the other National Parks that you went to see. I bet some were in southern Utah and we haven't done those.

    Thanks for posting great pics of places to see and a memorable wedding day for your family.

    Got to come back and listen to Elmo and Andrea.

    ReplyDelete