Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My World Tuesday - The Grand Canyon

This week's contribution for My World Tuesday is part of a lengthy road trip Gregg and I took two years' ago, starting off at Las Vegas. We saw seven National Parks in a 3,000 mile and then some trip. It is one of our favorite ways to travel. We stay anywhere between one and three days at each stop, with the idea that if we really like a place we will put it on the list for a future visit. I have already shared the Las Vegas part which was our starting off point as we flew into Las Vegas Airport, and now I thought I would share the Grand Canyon this week. This was actually the last National Park on our journey. There will be more photos to follow of this area in my next few posts.

This building is called The Watchtower at Desert View. Below is the inside of the gift shop.
Hired in 1930, Mary Coulter drew the design and hand picked every stone for size and appearance. You can find more about its history here.
Outside the Gift Shop.

I found this interesting story online about the Hopi’s first journey through the Grand Canyon. You can read it here.


Several fine artists were commissioned to paint murals inside the walls of the Tower, which is 67 feet high and 30 feet in diameter at the base. I didn't actually get to go inside that day but I found superb photos at Suprada Urval Photoblog of not only inside the Tower but also of photographs taken around the Grand Canyon. You can click on each photo to enlarge them.
One fine Hopi artist was Fred Kabotie, whose contribution was the Snake Legend. This is a story as close to the snake legend as I could find so I hope this is the right one which you can read here. It is lengthy but a good read.

This Raven landed on the back of the bench that I was sitting on. He was probably waiting for me to give him something to eat but there were signs that asked you not to feed the birds, and I didn't have any food to give him anyway but he still stayed for a while, long enough for me to take several photographs.
My photos don't do these magnificent views justice. There will be more views in the next post.
Cedar Mountain, just outside of Grand Canyon.

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking here.

31 comments:

  1. WoW! Very interesting post & BREATHTAKING photos! That tower looks almost out of place in the Grand Canyon, kind of gothic - but you took some beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scenery looks stunning. I have never been so will take some time to read up on the history through your links. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Photos !!!

    I've been on what we call, Road Trips ... I like that tower .. it's not always open ... the tower part ... makes me want to take another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome captures ms. denise. the grand canyon area never disappoints. looks like you had perfect weather for your road trip.
    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fascinating and informative post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos! This must have been a super trip. To travel in the manner you did is super. To travel and decide how long you should be in each place, depending about how much you enjoy yourselves, it's great. Great images. I would like to travel to the Grand Canyon also, but so sorry it is so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go there, and actually lived in Colorado for awhile and have been to toher places out therre, but never had the chance to go to the canyon! Maybe next time!
    Lovely photolog! and stories

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely and very interesting pictures - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Denise! I went to GC in the 80s, but I missed the tower. Your last shot here is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous post and photos, Denise! I've made several trips to the Grand Canyon and it's magnificence never fails to move me! Your post brought back lots of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places, but then, I have a lot of favorite places. This is a beautiful world.
    Unfortunately for us photographers, air polution limits are ability to get the perfect photos we would like.
    Your are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Grand Canyon. Your views are beautiful. I really love that watchtower. I've never seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow the mileage looks like travel from coast to coast. The longest one I had was 1200 RT. I have not seen this part where the Tower is. I have been to the Grand Canyon many times but had not stayed too long. Its a good idea to stay at least three days in a place. The Grand Canyon is beautiful all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an impressive collection of pics. It sure must have been an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how beautiful. I think I need to see that kind of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots of the tower and the canyon. I've been to the canyon several times and it is hard to capture with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a post! Beautiful pictures and what an tour to take!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. I love the Grand Canyon. And I've never seen a photo than can do it justice--not even the postcards--but yours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You bring back fond memories of my own visit a few years ago. You are so right about the photos - no matter how good they are, they aren't half as beautiful as the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Great pictures and information. My mum went to see the Grand Canyon lat year She absolutely loved it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heard about the place a lot. Thanks for those first-hand accounts and detailed close-up shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely shots!
    Makes me wan to be there more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots and information. Its sounds a magnificent part of USA.You might like Fab Grandma's blog. She works at GC as a ranger.
    http://fabgrandma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post and I LOVE the raven Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful post with splendid photos and so much interesting material to read up on. Thanks Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The pictures were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful series of images Denise. Cool collection.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the interesting perspectives on your unique Grand Canyon photos! Thanks for dropping by HRG on Monday. I'm playing catch up belatedly today after a busy start of the week ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  29. What is it about mountains & desert that attract us English girls?
    We went travelling last year starting from las Vegas. 4000 miles later we ended up back in L.V.! never again!

    ReplyDelete