Saturday, July 25, 2009

Camera Critters

These are the birds we saw at the botanical garden. We were walking along the bird trail when we saw several Goldfinches flitting from tree to tree. It was hard to keep up with them but they were chirping merrily away and it was like listening to a beautiful symphony. We found a bench to sit on and enjoyed the show they put on, with me ever hopeful that I might be able to get a photo or two.

Just across the path from where we were sitting was a small stream and it was bathtime. Very entertaining to watch a bird take a bath don't you think?

This one looked like he was watching his reflection, but he was just about to take a drink.

He decided to fly up into the trees when other humans came along to see what we were so interested in.

I am not sure what this little bird is but he sure was cute. If anyone visiting can identify him for me I would be very grateful. The only thing I am guessing here is that he is a baby.




Canada Geese are everywhere and further along on our walk there was a flock resting underneath the trees. It was a very nice cool and shady spot, and we again sat on the bench close by. Earlier on I had seen a toddler chase them down the hill, with the father chasing after the toddler.

They put up with us for a little while and then decided to move on, and we watched as one by one they dipped into the small lake and swam gracefully away, hopefully to be able to rest up in a more secluded spot across the lake.

Camera Critters is another wonderful meme created by Mist Dawn and hosted by Misty and Tammy.

You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

27 comments:

diane said...

Gosh you are so clever at catching birds in your lens. Lovely photos especially the one of the geese framed by the trees. The birds in the water are great too.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. I love finches but its like they are gere aand then they are gone. Its hard to photographs of them.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow Denise, some great birds pictures! They are adorable!
By the way now that we are not so far away from you "mother land" we intend to visit England as soon as possible.
Have a wonderful weekend dear friend
Cezar and Léia

Gattina said...

How adorable and what a chance you had to be able to take pictures !
For me sunday is only tomorrow so I will post my critters later.

Adrienne in Ohio said...

Wonderful photos! I'm glad you found a quiet spot to sit and observe for awhile. The gray baby looks a lot like a catbird, but I'm not an expert in identifying juveniles. Thanks for sharing your delightful visit!

Bonnie Bonsai said...

I adore this post so much Denise! The birds are lovely to watch. There's plenty of birds in our yards front and back but I can't get them steady so I can take a close up photo of them.

jabblog said...

We used to have a lot of greenfinches visiting our bird feeders but sadly they seem rarely to come now. I like the baby bird - he needs to grow into his clothes!

mommanator said...

I saw many Canadian Geese while in NJ is that an indication of winter to come??

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Nice photos of birds, Denise. Yes, watching birds bathe is a hoot!

Janie said...

Beautiful bird shots, and I love the geese and the baby. Can't guess what the baby is, though.

tricia said...

Denise these birds know you. Notice how they look right into your camera. I think the birds at hour house have spread the word. ;) Great shots.

Leedra said...

I like the 3rd and 4th photo the best.

Abe Lincoln said...

I would guess it is a Gray Cat Bird baby. All nice photos.
Pick a Peck of Pixels

Carletta said...

Really wonderful bird photos!
I love the little gray baby and his fluffy feathers.
All of these pics you've been showing from one day trip - really nice finds!

Kathleen said...

Hope all is well with you ! I have not been on my blog as much as I would like to. Love the finches!!

Joy said...

Aren't they so delicate and lovely.

Snap said...

The little finches are adorable ... so busy flitting here and there. The baby with his long tail! Wonderful place to visit. Thanks for taking us along.

storyteller at Sacred Ruminations said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my virtual visit to your botanical gardens ... each of these birds is delightful!
Hugs and blessings,

Cloudia said...

WONDERFUL!
True gold (finches :-)
Aloha-

Comfort Spiral

Tammie Lee said...

It looks as though you had a wonderful time! Your images show the charm and attraction of these critters.

Spirithelpers

Tulip said...

what an awesome series of birds, i love all of their color such as yellow, apple green, black and the ducks swimming. great post for this entry.

Regina said...

Amazingly beautiful!

Dianne said...

you got some great close-ups!
I love the yellow bird

Oskar said...

We have those little yellow birds at our feeder all day long. The cats here go crazy looking at them thru the window, but they are indoor cats, so all they can do is look!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: Very nice bird photos, I agree with the others on a Gray Cat Bird.

wildcatwoodscats said...

Lovely bird photos - we have had to put our feeders away due to lots of bears roaming our area. Nice to see our little friends again!

Denise said...

Hi Everyone, thank you for visiting and leaving all the great comments.