Friday, July 17, 2009

Camera Critters

We saw a few animals on our trip to the Canyon. On our way out we drove on a lonely stretch of road and passed what we thought at first was a dog. We thought it may have been lost and as we hadn't been going very fast and as there were no other cars in the area, we slowly backed up to find what was actually a coyote standing on the side of the road.
She didn't seem very worried about us and we thought how beautiful she was. The last time we saw a coyote was in our old neighborhood back in San Diego many years before, when one wandered down from the mountain behind us and rested underneath a bush in our next door neighbor's front yard. That one looked a scraggly, poor little thing, half starving. Our neighbors had a dog so they fetched it some dog food and a bowl of water. It shuffled slowly out on its tummy and helped itself to food and water, went back into the bushes and rested for a good long while and eventually went back up into the mountain. We never saw it again. This coyote I am thankful to say looked decidedly healthy with a beautiful coat that gleamed in the sunlight. I don't know how long she would have stayed there staring at us but we were the first ones to move on, and the sight of her was a highlight of our holiday and a total gift.

I am presuming this is a little Jackrabbit. We spotted it scampering near the Watchtower.There were warning signs of the Mountain Lion but we didn't see one, perhaps just as well.The only other animal that we saw in that general area, apart from the birds, was a wolf that ran across the road. Gregg got a very clear look of it but I only got a quick glimpse of a flash of something running into the trees.

Camera Critters is another wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn and hosted by Misty and Tammy. You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

28 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Thanks for visting my blog. Come back anytime. I am loving yours. Your Grand Canyon trip must have been fabulous. One of these days, we want to get there.

I started my blog the exact same way you did--as a journal to leave part of me and my life behind for future generations. The blog has evolved from there!!!! ha

Thanks again for visiting me.
Hugs,
Betsy

Janie said...

Healthy coyotes are pretty animals. You were lucky to get even a glimpse of a wolf!

Margaret Cloud said...

What a beautiful coyote, she does seem well fed. I enjoyed reading your post. I wrote about Coke because it is my husbands favorite soft drink. Hope you have a nice weekend and thank you for coming by.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

So nice for the coyote to pose for you.

Ebie said...

But the coyote looks so cute and innocent.He looks hungry too. You are lucky to see one. These creatures just pop up at an unexpected places.
Enjoy your weekend as I do mine.

Faye Pekas said...

What a nice wildlife encounter. From the warning on the sign I would certainly not want to have a mountain lion encounter though. Yikes!

diane said...

What a delight to see wild life up close and willing enough to let you photogragh.

jabblog said...

She is indeed beautiful. It is always such a privilege to see wild animals in their natural habitat and extra special if they come close.

Roy said...

That was a good sighting for you Denise. Glad you didn't have to mix it with a Mountain Lion though.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Denise: What a beautiful creature of nature and a neat capture of one of the food sources.

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

What a gorgeous creature that coyote is, Denise. I've never seen one before.

Regina said...

Amazing creatures. Nice captured.

i beati said...

how lucky you are

cricketrs said...

amazing

Ilene said...

We worry about coyotes in our area. They have been in our yard, and we worry about our little dog and kitty.

imac said...

What a wonderful series this has been, with fantastic shots.

Grace and Bradley said...

We only saw red fox in our neighborhood and once or twice in our backyard. Early this summer, I was warned by a passerby on the beach that there was a Coyote around. I did not know how to respond, try to avoid it or try to look for it. Your coyote is beautiful.

me ann my camera said...

wHAT A WONDERFUL SIGHTING THAT THE COYOTE WAS!
ANN

Ladynred said...

Beautiful shot of the cayote. it's great to see different animals while traveling and you are lucky to see cayote!

MelRox said...

Great Pics! nice to learn something new!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely pictures of the coyote Denise. The mountain lion looks mean! You wouldn't want a close encounter with that bad boy! A x

Shelley Munro said...

Great shots. We saw quite a few coyotes when we visited the US last year, but they were mostly in the distance.

Abe Lincoln said...

I loved the photos of the coyote and it is healthy looking. I assume that is due to its being at home in its natural surroundings and man has not moved in and moved nature out. You are lucky, I guess, that there were no mountain lions around and I suppose the coyote was too.

Thank you very much for visiting my blog and for the comment you left me there.

Now, you and your friends can help me Make History. I am trying to see if it is possible to get 10,000 visitors in a short period

of time on my new blog, Pick a Peck of Pixels. If you go there, please either become a Follower or leave a comment. Your visit

will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

guild-rez said...

Great pictures..
I watch coyotes and foxes every day. Right now they are caring for their offspring and dogs should be on a leash.
Gisela

Syaa_Fiqq said...

Lovely shot! Those animals are wonderful, well done..

Grace Olsson said...

Hi denise, I am came fro FLOWERS FROMT ODAY...GREAT SHOT. never have been tehre, but I feel i WOULD LIKE...TAKE CARE
great shot, Denise
graceolsson.com/blog

Steve B said...

Looks like you had some good wildlife viewing on your trip.

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

Lovely wildlife photos in your Camera Critters post this week! Thanks for sharing ;--)
Hugs and blessings,