Sunday, July 19, 2009

Butterfly Exhibit at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens


We did not realize that there was a butterfly exhibit here, but once we found out it was the first place we headed. I don't know the names of these beautiful creatures. The sun was out and they were at their most active. A few cooperated and landed long enough for me to get several photos. We were asked to watch where we stepped as some were on the ground drinking up the moisture. When we left we had to inspect ourselves thoroughly, to prevent us from walking out with any of them attached to our clothing.

Legend of the Butterfly

Once as a child many years ago...
on a balmy summer's eve.
I sat in the yard at my Mother's side...
and a butterfly lit at my sleeve.

"It's a sign of good luck", my Mother said.
As the butterfly stayed at my arm...
"It's a symbol of all the beauty in life.
Make sure you do it no harm."

First butterflies are eggs and after they hatch...
they see that their life's just beginning.
They're content with their lot in life,
so, they go out on a limb and start spinning.

They stay out awhile in a magic cocoon....
then emerge like flowers in spring.
Then they share the story of their victory and success...
through each of the colors of their wings.

The gold in their wings is the"Golden Rule"...
To follow that is a must.
The blue....That means true blue.
Always be someone people can trust.

The green of the tip of their wing
is saying, "Stay green, and you'll always grow."
The silver is the lining in the clouds of doubt...
that you must look for as you go through life.

Butterflies bend with the wind, it's true.
Still they get where they want to go.
They arrive by persistence through their own insistence...
A lesson more people should know.

Sought and valued by the whole human race...
For their beauty, tenacity and charm.
If a butterfly ever chances to stay at your sleeve...
remember, my friend, don't fight it, but,
learn all you can from the butterfly clan.
And you too, may become a rare item.

Author Unknown

The last two photos are of an Atlas Moth.

I remember its name as I have seen it in other exhibits and it is very large. We were directed to a tree by the gentleman who let us into the exhibit who told us where they were resting. They sleep during the day with their wings outstretched, which makes them a very cooperative subject for the photographer.

26 comments:

  1. Denise, these are stunning! I so envy that visit. They are so beautiful. Wonderful photos!
    I'm so glad you posted the moth pic. My husband came to get me the other day and told me to bring my camera. I hadn't posted the pic because I wasn't sure what it was -now I know - an Atlas Moth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carletta, and these are beautiful collection. You have more than the species we have here. One of the blue one could be the swallow tail family; the brown one could be painted lady; the gold one could be sulfur. Thanks for showing these to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunningly beautiful butterflies - what a lucky discovery for you. I've heard of the Atlas Moth - it is truly wonderful. The poem was most appropriate - a lesson for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your butterfly photos are really nice. All the wings are complete. Nothing is tattered and torn. I can't say as much for the single one I have seen this summer here. One butterfly and all of this butterfly food. Amazing summer. Not many birds either.

    Your visit will count and help me Make History.

    Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, I am TOTALLY in awe of your amazing photgraphy. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous designs on each of these butterflies. Each one of them so unique and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those butterflies are really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been to one butterfly exhibit but it was very special. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely shots! There were several that I just loved! Such color and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are just exquisite Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got great photos of the butterflies. I really enjoyed the Legend of the Butterfly -- thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Denise, these are all so very beautiful! I'd love to visit a 'flutterby' exhibit - That would be so awesome to take photos of those beautiful magical creatures! Absolutely gorgeous shots

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got such very clear pictures of this collection. Enlarging them was a real pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen anything so beautiful, these photos are exquisite. Thanks for sharing.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, makes me want to go to a butterfly exhibit. What a great place for photos,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Psychedelic! I can never get used to all those colors and patterns. The Atlas moth is really cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, the butterflies are amazing. The exhibit must have been a mini wonderland with all of them flying around. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are marvelous!
    (I can understand comment regarding the red phone booth, I am from England too!)

    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  19. Butterflies are beautiful as always and one of my mother's favorites. I took her to the butterfly exhibit here in Tucson when she was here last winter and she just loved it. Very nice photography Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reminds me of a visit to a butterfly exhibit in Costa Rica, totally enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful Denise - such wonderful colours. Your photos are amazing. There is a butterfly "farm" in Stratford so I think that will have to be on our "to do" list. A x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous post. The photos of the flutterbies are terrific. So many different types in so many different poses. Well done! How's your eye?

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful photography of beautiful subjects! I really enjoyed this. Thank you.

    I enjoyed the story of your son and his transformers too. :0

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  24. Denise I have been away from your blog for too long. Your butterflies, critters, flowers, adventures, butterflies, flowers, wedding photos, butterfly photos are so beautiful! I just love going on your adventures with you. This butterfly house is just spectacular. You did such a great job. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete