Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Watery Wednesday #38

More photos from Walney Pond
Thank you 2sweetnsaxy for creating and hosting this great meme. By clicking on the button below you will be able to either share your own photos or enjoy looking at other watery themed photos from around the world.

Because this area is so close to our home you will find us here often during the year. The other evening we wanted to get a little exercise and usually walk along the pathway around the pond. We also had a family of tree swallows in mind. Each year they take up residence in this particular birdhouse and we wanted to try and get photos of them. Unfortunately the camera we use that has a zoom started to act up and at this point in time is no longer working. Fortunately I had my pocket camera. I couldn't get the birds but I got photos of and around the pond.
The swallows were active and we saw each parent take turns flying back and forth, returning systematically with their beaks loaded with sustenance for their babies. They were very entertaining as their precision-like, aerial acrobatics were beautiful to watch and we had a ring-side seat.
The weather was perfect and all day it had been warm without any humidity and now cooling off as the sun went down, it was just about as pleasant as you could get for an evening stroll. The photo above and below show each side of the pond. Where it narrows a wooden walkway has been built to allow people to walk across.

There are two overlooks where you can easily look into the water, and at one there is a picnic table that is often occupied.
The waterlilies had gone to bed for the night.
The frogs were noisy throughout. We kept looking for them but had to be content with using our ears, and no matter how hard we strained our eyes they remained well hidden.
I couldn't stop taking photos of the lilypads. They were beautiful.

The following two photos aren't anything to do with water but I added them anyhow. I am not sure what the first flowering plant is.....
but I know this one as the honeysuckle. It was everywhere and their scent added to our enjoyment.
Seeing us take a few photos a man told us that there was a beaver on the other side of the pond. It was the icing on the cake. When we looked it was very contentedly eating in the undergrowth and enjoying the cover of one of the trees. He didn't seem to mind us watching him as we stayed well back. The last time we were here we took photos of a groundhog. At first when we saw this beautiful animal we thought he might be that groundhog, but he had that unimistakingly flat tail that we know all beavers have.
For an hour we watched as he swam back and forth amongst the lilypads, chewing through the stems tethering them to the bottom. Each time he swam back to shore with his prize, and settled under the tree where he dined in complete comfort. He didn't bother with the closed blossoms, seeming to prefer the actual leaves and one time we saw him chewing on a big root. I was very thankful I had my little camera as he was close enough that I took lots of photos, and I will share some of those in a later post. All the way home I was smiling from ear to ear - we both were. If you can surrender to the beauty of nature all around you, it is indeed possible to get this incredible feeling of peace and contentment.
~
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.
~
~John Muir~

33 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post, Denise. It is so tranquil and picturesque. And a busy beaver to boot. I love the lily pads and reflections. How nice to have such a place close by.The frogs are telling you that they are happy that the pond is not polluted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an outing. Great pictures especially of the beaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely lilypads but I don't like "frogs"! wow
    Anyway this place is amazing!
    Fantastic pictures Denise!
    Great day there!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a calm place to spend some time. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous pictures and the environment looks great. Thanks for coming to see my Birds Blog.

    I got a new blog. If you don't get offended by things like a child's fascination with cuss words or with expressions kids make that moms and pops don't know about, you might get a chuckle out of my new blog, "Bing-it."

    http://bing-it.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post as always. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos ...

    A beaver ... Wow !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Denise thanks for showing all those marvellous photos! I love the goslings or cygnets in your header too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well rescued Denise since I got the 'new' camera I dont take the little one out any more NOTE TO SELF TAKE SPARE CAMERA. Beaver have been reintroduced int Scotland this week. XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures capture all the aspects and angles of pond life that I love. And the beaver photos are the icing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful stroll around the pond you must have had! The beaver is indeed the icing - love the shots!

    My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great place for an evening stroll. I bet it is beautiful during the day when the water lillies are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos. I don't believe I have ever seen a bird house posted in water like that. Different. And the beaver was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a wonderful place to walk and enjoy the wildlife and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a wonderful place to walk and enjoy the wildlife and nature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a wonderful watery world you photographed. I like lily pads and the bird house smack right in the middle of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so many lily pads, never seen that many in one place. ARe you going back when it's time for blooming?

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow beautiful photos, so nice, love it.

    here's my link:

    http://sarahg26.blogspot.com/2009/06/watery-wednesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely place you have to walk around and enjoy nature and the wildlife! BTW, thank you so much for the comments on my blog.

    Our daughter does indeed love her work with sea turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  20. a wonderful place, love the beaver.thank you for sharing, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful shots! I love how lush and green everything is. Those shots of the groundhog are awesome. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos and the story that came with it. It is nice to live close to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a wonderful place! i enjoy the photos, especially the beaver's. thanks for taking us to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You got the groundhog - on photo, I have never seen a wild one.
    That a lovly park to have so close at home , to go for a walk all the time. All the waterlily will soon blossom I think.

    Lunch with friend is alway good.
    A British shop- sounds nice
    /MB, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, what a lovely pond Denise. How lovely that you have it to visit. A bit like my park...thanks for visiting my post! Good to catch up here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Denise: What a fun post, great that you saw the beaver in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a surprise that beaver was, when he showed up in the photos! I especially love the shot of the overlook - very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely surprise. The beaver is such an industrious animal. I've watched them take sticks and build their dams across small creeks in Colorado... the forestry departments had to break them up every year or so to let the water flow properly. I wonder where this fellow has built his underwater home?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful shots, and a great story! I have never seen a beaver, lucky you to capture it! And those lovely waterlilys! I would love to walk there, a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Denise! those are wonderful shots! the birdhouse in the lake is soooo pretty! i love the idea of it being in the middle of the lake...and oh! I haven't seen any beavers too! that little guy looks like he's having fun munching on those lily pads :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful shots.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete