Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thunderstorms

Hmmmm......are they talking about me?

~A thunderstorm is God's way of saying
you spend too much time in front of the computer."
~Author Unknown~
We are having thunderstorms this week and when I stuck my head out of the front door last night, because all of a sudden it seemed to get very dark inside the house, the wind was picking up and the clouds were putting on quite a show.
I didn't like the look of the sky and the trees were whipping around quite a bit, so I called Gregg to let him know I thought we were going to have a storm and was he thinking of coming on home as it was about that time of the evening anyhow. After I took these photos it wasn't long afterwards that the heavens opened up and the rain came down in a torrentioal downpour. When Gregg walked in the door the weather gained momentum. We saw a lot of lightning and heard a lot of rumbling We had an even louder thunderclap when our son called while we were in the middle of our conversation. I was so startled I felt that jolt of the heart as you do when you get a sudden fright, and I think I might have shouted out something or other. Brad said at the same time he heard that clap of thunder on our end of the telephone, in the distance he saw the flash of lightning hit the ground in our direction. Mother Nature was putting on quite a show and I think she may be getting reading for another one this evening and also tomorrow from what the weatherman just said. At the first sound I will be turning everything off.
I also took a short video. The wind had gotten a little less intense by this time and when I tried to get a second video of the trees swirling around I got rained on so had to put my camera away.

22 comments:

  1. Those clouds are fantastic, great pics.

    Cheers
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cloud friends are acting up quite a bit, eh?
    This post, and your excellent visuals, make me feel Alive. . . ALIVE!!
    Admiring Aloha from Waikiki-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those menacing clouds are quite impressive!
    Kind regards
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful. I love storms. My nieces were visiting and we were blessed with a doozy. I think they thought I was nuts when I went on to the front porch to watch! But they got excited after a while too..their mother is afraid and I think they thought they should be too.

    I'm so different from my sister..lol

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fierce looking devils aren't they !
    Fantastic pictures and video:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What dramatic clouds! We've been having changeable weather here in CO, too. I was bundled in a coat to garden this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and comenting !

    Lovely pics, the clouds look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some impressive clouds! Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The clouds look fiery but there's glow in the sky. We had our share of lightning last week and we had one casualty. Since Monday, our weather has been so gloomy. I hope the skies will brighten up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I love seeing that video. Reminds me of that scene from Close Encounters! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cloud photos are outstanding... you are good at taking photos and videos... I have always loved a good storm... I will always watch them with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like scary menacing summer storms. Do you get tornados where you live/ Great pics of the swirling clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those clouds looks very threatening, lovely cloud patterns as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. dau #2 said the same thing to me
    She even warned the grandsons fi she told them to go into the basement do it without questioning her

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice quote! Daughter Bet finally got a thunderstorm here last night, although she is hoping for more and bigger events throughout the summer. Your's sounds far more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post about the thunder storm reminded me of the first storm my daughter experienced when she was about 6 months old. I thought she would be terrified , but no, she was grinning her toothless grinand looking for her camera mad daddy and his flash gun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've been having storms this week too & more tonight! Those clouds sure are ominous looking! Hope no tornadoes come your way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful cloud pictures and video but they made me feel uneasy just as thunderstorms do! A x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's such an awesome video of the thunderstorm. I remember our midwest thunderstorms very well. Hawaii was not prepared for lightning and last year nearly the whole island lost power. I loved seeing your very dramatic photos. Wow!

    ReplyDelete