Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Swallows, turtles, butterfly, honeysuckle.......

I hope you're not getting tired of Walney Pond yet. Today I met up with Gregg for our picnic lunch. Even though it was a gloriously sunny day we knew things would still be a little damp so we elected to eat in the car again. When we finished we walked around the pond. There were still places we avoided as Gregg had his dress shoes on and even though I wore my comfies, I didn't want them to go ankle deep in mud.
I am very happy to say that my camera with the zoom is back in working order again. I don't know what was wrong with it but when I checked everything seemed to be okay. I would have felt pretty silly going up to the photo shop for them to tell me they couldn't find anything the matter with it so I am glad I checked first.
Our birdhouse situated in the middle of one side of the pond was very active and as we approached we could hear the chirping of hungry little ones. Mother arrived as we approached.
When she left to find more food her children started up again and their chirping was a pure delight to us but to little mother it probably meant she had better hurry back.
We could make out three babies, not sure if there was another one tucked in there somewhere.
Busy mother! She was hustling the whole time we were there, flying back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. We eventually left mother to tend to her babies.
The waterlilies were open today.
We didn't see the beaver but there were turtles sunning themselves on logs....
and I took several photos of them.

I couldn't decide which one to choose between so I put them both on here.
There was a crowd of butterflies fluttering next to the path and one settled long enough for me to get a photo.
The rest of the photos were taken on our way back to the car. It was time for Gregg to return to his office. Wednesdays are turning into a good day to have lunch and he says he's already looking forward to our next picnic.
The scent of the honeysuckle was intoxicating.
I dropped Gregg off, stopped off at the grocery store and went home. The phone rang and it was a friend of mine who had just come back from visiting her family in Florida. We had a nice chat and are getting together on Friday morning for coffee.

27 comments:

  1. Look at those 2 tiny opened hungry mouths! Soooo sweeet! Great great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pond is such a great place to view wildlife, and you got some lovely photos. I love seeing the baby birds with their mouths open, demanding something to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that's a whole lot of nature & those birds look really hungry! Nice pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turtle sitting up on the log is delightful as are the little baby birds with their wide mouths awaiting more food. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would LOVE this place. Wonderful photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots of the turtles. The DO love being out in the sun this time of year, don't they?

    Glad Gregg didn't get his shoes muddy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who could get tired of baby birds, sunlight glimmering off of lily pads, turtles and butterfly's (looks like a Cloudless Sulfur)just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some wonderful posts about nature...maybe you could post one for my Nature Notes meme....
    Michelle From Rambling Woods

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful scenes from the pond! I just love the turtles and the swallow babies. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intoxicating post!
    So well shared, D
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went through all your delightful photos of Walney Pond, Denise and they are fabulous! I love those photos of the baby birds, the harrassed mom bird and the beaver. I love water lilies. That is such a beautiful place to have a picnic. Lucky you and lucky Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos Denise - I love the one of the turtles sunning themselves. Just looks as though they are trying to get a tan. The shots of the young nestlings are superb. Lovely. A x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures. Love the baby birds... and the turtle and... okay, I love them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never get tired of your walks around the pond. I will join you each time. Love the close up shots of the birds and turtle. Glad your camera fixed itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful collection!
    I totally like the turtle.
    Thanks for the tour :)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting post to be sure. I liked the turtles very much. Have not seen them in our area for years. The idea of a bird house over a pond in great and especially one with lily pads in case a fledgling tries to fly too soon. At least it might scramble onto a lily pad. Also was fascinated to see the honeysuckle. I posted one today on my new flower blog.

    Our Flower Pot

    ReplyDelete
  17. awwwww! The hungry open baby bird mouths are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to see that this time was sunny and you and Greeg was ready to take a walk, enjoy the lunch and take great pictures from this lovely place!
    All pictures are fabulous but my piece of cake is the "turtle"pictures! I love turtles!
    Thanks for sharing
    Léia
    ahhh by the way,thanks a lot for your sweet comments in Luna's blog.She enjoys your messages a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never get tired of your shots lovely

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never get tired of looking at your photos Denise.
    That pond is just teeming with activity, i wish we had one close by, I would be there daily.
    Great afternoon picture taking as always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nature is such a beautiful thing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I would ever get tired of this place! Lovely shots of everything. That swallow birdhouse is great and the babies...cute. Love the turtles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What lovely photos - especially the one of the little open beaks inside the birdhouse!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  25. loving all the pond activity and the header - so spring and relaxing Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like and looks like a lovely park to visit. Wednesday sounds like a wonderful day for a picnic, breaks the week up. Happy week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is my first post I'd like to congratulate you for such a great quality site!
    thought this is a nice way to make my first post!

    Sincerely,
    Edwyn Sammy
    if you're ever bored check out my site!
    [url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/first-communion-party-supplies.html]first communion Party Supplies[/url].

    ReplyDelete