Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My World Tuesday

I found this sweet little thing at Big Meadows last Sunday, just happening to glance to my left and there he was. I didn't want to disturb him for long so I quickly took a couple of shots and then moved on. Later he joined his Mother who had been grazing nearby.

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking here.

This is my second post from Big Meadows, which is a beautiful area that can be found along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Mountains. It is well known for deer and nine times out of ten I can be assured of photos of these beautiful animals.

Gregg and I discovered this area when we signed up for a photographic group one weekend a few years ago, and stayed at the lodge nearby. We've been coming back ever since.
At first glance we saw a total of four adults and to tell you the truth, even though we are forever hopeful, we didn't expect to see any deer as they generally don't start coming down on the meadow until later on in the day and it was still early in the afternoon.
They are used to humans here as they are well protected, it being part of the National Park Service. I have had deer amble up within ten feet and even though I adhere to the 'keep at least 25 feet away' rule, sometimes it's hard to do when they continue walking in your direction.
It was time to go but they had given me a very special gift this day.
I was hoping to see at least one Fawn before we headed home, but always keep my expectations low because you just never know. We met a lady, another photographer, who asked us if we had seen any. This was before our first sighting. She told me that the mothers sometime leave their Fawns not too far from the trail.
What a very special time we had at Big Meadow. It was a fantastic finale.

34 comments:

tricia said...

What a precious baby. Wonderful shots. The header is amazing.

erin said...

wonderful captures denise...they sure are tamed on the parkway :)
have a wonderful afternoon.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow Denise!
A family moment is always adorable!
Great and lovely shots!
Léia

Denise said...

Tricia, thank you. Very precious indeed.

Erin, a lot less skittish here than in other areas but I snapped a twig once and when it cracked they ran like the dickens, so they still have that instinct thank goodness.

Cezar and Léia, it certainly is.

Thanks for visiting.

Tricia said...

So very adorable & they're quite nice shots you were able to get!
Great photos!

ShySongbird said...

WOW! What lovely photos of beautiful creatures, how wonderful to encounter them like that. I loved the old 'dog and car' photos on the previous post and the butterflies on blooms on the one before are stunning!

I will put you on my sidebar so hopefully I won't miss your lovely posts.

The Prodigal Tourist said...

So charming,lovely photos. Love seeing deer gambol--as long as it's not in our garden!

Wenche said...

How cute! And you took some great photos. It looks like a happy family:)

Anya said...

Wow!!
Its a very beautiful world :)
Lovely shots ^__^
Sooooooo sweet.....
ANYA :)

(Thanks for visiting
our CatFun blog =^.^= )

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

What wonderful pictures Denise - you are so lucky to have been there to take them.

There is a little something for you at my place if you would like it - and it is kindly meant! A x

Marie Reed said...

What a captivating experience to see tese deer up close! I love that you made it into your header too!

Pam said...

Denise, Your photos are delightful. I'm so glad you were able to not only see this fawn but to capture such marvelous photos of it and its mother.
Thanks for your visit, have a wonderful day.

Euroangel said...

cute animals..it seems that i saw africa as i saw these pictures too...thanks for sharing Denise..have a great day!

Daryl said...

WOW indeed... most excellent 'captures'!

Sandy Kessler said...

very sweet and the 2 together just funn and spring Sandy

mommanator said...

pretty shots!

ewok1993 said...

what a delightful surprise.

fishing guy said...

Denise: What lovely captures of the fawn from your world.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Wow Denise..what a pro! I love all the angles you've captured here- just beautiful against this delicate grass-

Maggie May said...

What great pictures . You are lucky to have captured them on camera because they are very shy creatures.
I have seen your name on other people's blogs, so I know that you are popular!

Thank you for visiting me.

Sally in WA said...

These are wonderful shots! How lucky to see a fawn, no less.

mamapippas said...

So precious, these photos ...

SandyCarlson said...

A beautiful family. Lovely. I really like your banner photo, too.

Pacey said...

I think he was looking at you on that second photo. :) Great and they're so sweet to look.

Janie said...

Aw, the fawn is so cute. You got some wonderful photos of him. Must have been a lot of fun to see him bounding around.

Monica said...

What a beautiful and delightful find. I'm so glad you shared this with us. It had to be fun to watch as you photographed them.

Ebie said...

No wonder you have been coming back. This is a wonderful experience. Love those spots on the fawn.

jay said...

What a wonderful place that looks! I do love deer, though I confess I'm wary about walking through their territory since reading about the many tick-borne diseases. We just have Lyme over here but I know there are some nasty ones in the US.

How lovely to come across a fawn though, and so close to the path! I would feel privileged indeed.

Beautiful photos!

Arija said...

What a fabulous powt...Bambi eat your heart out! You have catured the whole gamut of mother and child behaviours. A lovely meadow with the little family as a huge bonus...I am absolutely enchanted.

Abe Lincoln said...

These are nice Denise. I like all of your photos.

storyteller's other blog said...

AW ... what ADORABLE fawn photos! I love that you've changed your header with one of these magnificent shots!
Hugs and blessings,

Lanny said...

Those are terrific photos! I never tire of seeing deer, even when they are chowing down my garden, well for a few seconds any way. But I much prefer to see them in this sort of setting. What a wonderful place you have found.

Leedra said...

What a precious sight. Love that you added it to your header.

Kay said...

That is so cute! And I love your header photo, too!