Friday, June 26, 2009

Camera Critters

Only one more pre-dating posts after this one. Our son is getting married today (the 27th). I will be back to visiting blogs again in about a week.

I haven't been to the National Zoo in Washington DC for years and we are way overdue for a return visit. The last time I was there I took these photos of the Lowland Gorillas. It is an awesome experience to be able to see these beautiful animals. I had always hoped back in my youth to see them in their natural habitat one day, but I doubt that is ever going to happen now. My little echo - hubby Gregg - would say never say never but I am being realistic. So, when I saw these magnificent primates at the zoo it was an amazing feeling and another good memory that I think of as I look at these photos. At the time there was a new baby seen with its mother here.

At their enclosure we met a nice couple who had traveled all the way from Saint Louis especially to see them and to attend a related zoo function. They were very much involved in this gorilla family as they knew all their individual names and their history. If memory serves me correctly and it's getting a bit fuzzy because it has been a long time, they had contributed to the family's care for several years.



Camera Critters was created by Misty Dawn and hosted by Misty and Tammy. You can find other critter photos by clicking here.


20 comments:

tricia said...

Wonderful shots Denise. The second one is just precious. I hope the wedding went off perfectly.

Kay said...

These are fabulous, Denise. I'm just imagining what a great time you're going to be having tomorrow. I hope you'll have lots of photos to share.

diane said...

Congratulations to your son and his new wife. Hope all went well.
The gorilla shots are great. The little one is so cute.

jabblog said...

Beautiful! These animals seem to have ancient wisdom in their eyes.
(Looking forward to wedding photos!)

Margaret Cloud said...

Congratulations on your sons marriage, hope you have a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos, I wish our zoo had more attractions. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Juliana RW said...

Wonderful shots.

My entry this week, in HERE. I hope you have time to stop by as well. Thanks.

Cezar and Léia said...

Fabulous post Denise!
Happy Camera Critters!
purrs and love
Luna(from Brazil)

Snap said...

Wonderful shots, Denise and great memories. Hope all is going well with the wedding and we see you back soon.

Marie Reed said...

Wow! How exciting that you're son is getting married! You must have butterflies in your tummy being the Mother of the groom too!

Carletta said...

I know it will be a wonderful day!

Nice shots.

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

fishing guy said...

Denise: Have a great time at the wedding. The photos are special.

Susan at Stony River said...

Oh wow, have a wonderful time and congratulations!

Meanwhile I love your photos (and I want to ask the mama gorilla---how does she get HER hair so shiny? If only mine were the same!)

imac said...

You really have gone Ape my friend, all great shots here.

Anya said...

Hi Denise
Fantastic shots !!!
So real and big they are .... LOL

mrsnesbitt said...

Fantastic! The first one is so like "The Gorilla" storybook character by Anthony Brown

Pagan Sphinx said...

What delightful pictures of amazing animals. That mom and baby are really special.

Our closes relatives. One would think we'd have had the good sense long ago to treat them with kindness and respect. But we can't even do that to each other on a large scale. Sorry, the primates always cause sadness in me.

Jack and Joann said...

Oh, I know it will be a wonderful wedding. Enjoy, enjoy. And the pics are wild and wonderful.

storyteller said...

Marvelous critter photos ;--)
Hope all goes well with the wedding.
Hugs and blessings,

Brooke said...

Really great shots of very interesting subjects!

Joy said...

What a couple of characters!