Friday, June 19, 2009

Camera Critters

Repeat message on all meme's: For those who don't know, I'm pre-dating posts for a while as we're getting ready for son's wedding on June 27th. I will be back to visiting blogs again between two and three weeks from now. Thank you for all your good wishes to the bride and groom and to me. You make this happy time in our lives even happier and I appreciate your messages more than I will ever be able to put into mere words. You guys are the greatest!

Camera Critters was created by Misty Dawn and hosted by Misty and Tammy. You can find other critter photos by clicking here.

We are again on our walk near The Old Stone Bridge in Manassas. I spotted a very slight movement on a tree trunk as I walked by. It was a dragonfly.
It is a Common Whitetail or Long-tailed Skimmer. I've never had a chance to get up to one this close before and was surprised to see him as still as could be on the trunk of the tree. According to Wikipedia he is a mature adult male with a white abdomen.


26 comments:

  1. This is so amazing, Denise. I can't believe you got these amazing photos pre-posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Denise, please accept my Congratulations for your son's wedding because the following day, on the 28th, my darling girl will have her "I do" as well. A Winter Garden Wedding! Nice posts here to ward off the chilling temperature down under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were lucky to catch him still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a most memorable time sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photgrapy, surprised you saw it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way kewl! You have a great eye lol wonderful shots

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing photograph. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots. good luck for the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting critter! You are amazing ... preparing for us while preparing for a wedding! Amazing! Best wishes to all and can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fabulous... congrats on getting such a super shot of this critter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable post Denise!
    I hope all preparations are doing well for the wedding!Good luck!Everything will be fine! Enjoy this time!
    purrs and love
    Luna(from Brazil) and mommy Léia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise
    As always beautiful shots :)
    My compliments !!

    Anya:)
    Kareltje =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are incredible. I really had to look to find him. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVELY capture ... excellent eyes to SPOT this critter! Enjoy the wedding ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shot Denise - so lucky it didn't fly away. You must have been fairly close to spot it. A x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now my flowers is up - I had a terrible head ache this morning but now I got some flowers up.

    It id difficult to see the insects for time to time and it is also difficult to know the name - good to have Wikipedia.

    /Maria Berg

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dragon fly just simply blends with the colors of the trunk! Great catch...oops, capture! Enjoy the preparation and festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one beautiful dragonfly ... it blends im with the bark of the tree trunk..

    Wonderful capture !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are wonderful! And such a unique (to me) dragonfly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a cool dragon fly, the ones around here are normally all blue and we only see them in August

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing how well this critter blends in. That's a great survival tool for him.

    ReplyDelete