Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Visitors of the Feathered Kind

I had a lovely time taking photos of birds yesterday. There was a flurry of activity. This little baby Housefinch was getting flying lessons.....

with Dad looking on encouraging him. "Come on son, you can do it!"
A Tufted Titmouse stopped by at the feeder.......
and of course the ever cheeky little Blue Jays. I put a whole handful of peanuts in their shells out today. They were gone by the time I got back to my spot near the window, and I know who took them. See that guilty look on his face?
I couldn't figure out if this was a baby Blue Jay or just a scrappy little thing who had lost a few feathers. He has a featherless spot on his chest and I think they may be growing in as he seems so fluffy.
This Goldfinch is actually a photograph I took several weeks ago. I haven't seen any lately. Where are you my little friend, I miss you???
This White-Breasted Nuthatch came by to fill in the Goldfinch's empty spot.
A pretty female Cardinal waiting her turn.
A male Cardinal trying to see where he fits in.
I was surprised to see this one hopping along the tree trunk like a Woodpecker. A young one trying to earn his flying wings? Not sure.
Finally, a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

25 comments:

  1. Awesome. Nice shots. I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... I wish I could get photos like that of my feathery gang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you had such a good time taking these. You have quite a few visitors. Great shots!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!, so many visitor to entertain!
    Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely set of images Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. So lucky that so many birds visit your home.
    My favorite shots are those of the male cardinal and the woodpecker.
    I am a new birder and recently went on a birding trip in North India and saw 200+ species in 5 days. Check out my trip report.

    http://letsgoforavacation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wonderful set of pictures - i miss the birdies now I don't have a rosebush outside - got otyher compensations though

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful selection. I finally have a camera that can focus on birds, and I seem to just see sparrows! That nuthatch has a long nose. I guess it's to hatch nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're all so sweet looking, except the guilty looking blue jay! hehehe

    Absolutely fantastic shots!

    Prayers are needed, swing by my page for details, please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great series of bird shots. I guess the little cardinal hopping along the tree trunk is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. another lovely photos of nature..love esp.those red colored birds here..so cute...thanks Denise for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice set of photos of the birds in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. couleursetemotions.comMay 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM

    These shots are really nice, I send your blog to my parents who like a lot birds.Perhaps they will let a comment but in french, they don't speak english!
    A bientôt!
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Denise, congratulations!
    Another fabulous post full of beauty and love!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely to see so many beautiful birds in your garden (as you're English I'm sure you still think of it as garden rather than yard)
    Wow - I love our birds but I'm envious of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful shots. As I've said before, they look as if they are posing just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing bird shoots...love them!

    And thank you for coming to visit My World at Maymont Park, in Richmond!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so impressed with all the photos you're able to get of the birds. I never saw those kinds of varieties at our home in the Midwest, but then again, I don't think we put out the different kinds of bird seeds they liked.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quite an array of beautiful feathered friends you've captured :)
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your guests are lovely and surely they love you to take their photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely to have these visitors and they always make an effort to dress in their finest, don't they. Well most of them. Great pics Denise. A x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh you have such a great variety of sweet little birds. Ours are so big and raucus (is that a word?)An English woman was interviewed on a TV show about immigrants and she said she didn't like Australian birds because they screech instead of sing and she is right, but they are beautiful. But I can't photograpg them like you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delightful array of bird photos ... wonderful variety ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, all those beautiful feathered friends - I sorely miss them!
    Thank you for sharing these wonderful images with us! :-)

    ReplyDelete