Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Standoff

Two squirrels came to a standoff yesterday. It is interesting to be an observer on such occasions. There was definitely an alpha and he wasn't going to give in. It wasn't really much of a skirmish, no ears were nipped, no fur went flying. A little bit of a dosey-doe and as the music of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly resounded in my head, I watched them vie for the few last remnants of seed left in the feeder.


The winner.
The loser. I threw a few peanuts and some sunflower seeds out to him as a consolation prize....

and promised them I would fill up the feeder first thing tomorrow. In the meantime I am off to get some sleep.

15 comments:

  1. The last one is showing gratitude to you Denise. Look at how she looked at your cam, if it's a she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loser is just the cutest!!!
    You are so nice to give him a consolation prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, also love your bird shots too.
    Certainly got an eye for it.
    Thanks for all your visits and kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh... definitely think that the loser is the most sweetest and cutest... great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Denise!
    They are adorable! The last picture from the "loser"is really cute!
    Many thanks for this beautiful story!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful squirrel and bird photos. It's true, the loser does look particularly adorable - perhaps he/she is thinking about life as a house squirell! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed so many wonderful pics while driving to MD, I can't believe. Wont post on them all but they sure were great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this, Denise. I used to watch all the squirrel antics out on our patio in Illinois. It was so much fun. I didn't ever have to feed them because we had a horse chestnut tree that drew every squirrel in a 35 mile radius for a month. I remember the patter of their feet on our roof. Thank you for the gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know about your squirrels but they can eat you out of house and home. Have a wonderful Memorial Day week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the vivid green against the gray of the wood in your photos. Your little critters (especially the one in last pic) look very healthy and well fed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nifty to have your camera handy for this encounter. Thanks for sharing with us ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise: Those squirrels can be very active at the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is cute! I'd say both were winners and you were the biggest winner of all :-)

    ReplyDelete