Monday, May 4, 2009

My World Tuesday

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking on their icon above.

All this week's meme contributions from me will be from our afternoon spent at Meadowlark Gardens. It is a wonderful place for a walk. We meandered along the paths that took us through several themed gardens. On a hot day like we had my favorite area this time was the shade garden but this was the first time we had enjoyed many trees and flowers blooming. We will go back again once Spring is over and the summer flowers put on a show.

The area was once farmland donated by an economist, Gardiner Means. It is now a 100-acre horticultural park, one of the largest in Northern Virginia. Large varieties of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants have been planted there that are native to the Potomac River Valley region of Virginia.
Gregg was a little ways ahead of me and I was lagging behind taking photographs of flowers and trees.
Ever beautiful Daffodils and Coral Bells.
This is the ruin of an old springhouse. A marker nearby said that in the old days springhouses did the job of refrigerators. This one served the occupants of the farm from the 18th through to the early 20th century.
It was built directly over the spring and shaded by trees. Cool spring water flowing into the structure was channeled into troughs of varying depths before flowing out the other side. Whitewashing inside and out sealed the loosely mortared, thick stone walls and provided a clean surface on the interior. Barred vents in the side walls allowed fresh air to circulate and kept out animals. Even in summer dairy foods, fresh produce and other perishables could last several days in sealed containers partially submerged in the troughs. Less perishable foods such as salted or smoked meat, pickles, cider and wine were stored up in the loft spaces and on shelves built into the walls. The spring also provided water for drinking and washing for the house located to the north, up the hill behind the barn.


Our walk took us around Lake Lena.


Gregg taking photos of something, not sure what. We are standing on the wooden path leading to the gazebo.
A toddler is fascinated with a Canada Goose.

The same goose attracts the attention of a couple who are walking by. This gentleman is the guitarist and singer from my video a few posts back. If you are interested you can click here.


This sun decoration is on the outside chimney wall of the visitors centre.

31 comments:

  1. There is plenty of beautiful things to see in your world. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. l love this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the fresh air smells great. It looks like a wonderful place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those gardens are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to visit. Great captures. Have a great week. Smiles Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each time I see one of your posts I think to myself-- it can't get any better than that, but you always prove me wrong. These photos are just gorgeous. What a beautiful place. Again, Denise thanks for sharing such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely, restorative place and post, Denise! Thank you
    & Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful spring tour with lots of interesting information. I like the coolhouse so we have it much easier today with opening a fridge door!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very nice place to be, I'm glad you shared them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful place to spend the day. Nice paths for a walk and the smells from the flowers must be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have some beautiful places in your world. I found your commentary very interesting too, especially the spring house. Great photo story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peace and quite, look like a beautiful day at the park. maybe they stopped and play for the goose , like to look at you blog,

    /MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really got some excellent photographs on this post. I like the ruin of the spring house. It has been a long time since I have seen milk being kept cool in the springhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. If it ever stops raining here, maybe we'll go to our local gardens and take photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meadowlark Gardens is another beautiful park in Northern Virginia. I like that gazebo area on the lake. This park hosts lots of weddings in the wedding pavilon but the cost of renting for a wedding is very high.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful place! I loved to walk with you through your photos. I think it's romantic. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day, Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that park...it's a great place for some macros.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What lovely photos and beautiful gardens!!! I'm wondering if they are in the D.C. area...My husband and I lived in Northern VA about 7 years ago, but I'm not familiar with this...Such a peaceful place it must be! How fun that you are an expat. My husband and I were as well...but our sojourn was your home--G.B. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for your kind comments! It is always wonderful to make new friends! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  19. isn't it raining there? or did I miss somehting, not unusual for me!
    so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post as always. Good shots.
    I post late mine is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You live in a very beautiful corner of the world, that's for sure!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. my goodness you two sure travel about seeing the sights...so wish we had time to do that.

    denise, i so enjoyed your photos ...beautiful place and something to add to my list of places to visit in your area of virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely place to live...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely a place I would love to visit. Kind of reminds me of Descanso Gardens here, except for the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous place with its gardens and meadows. Looks like you had a beautiful day for your visit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your world is a knock out! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow a very nice world..tahnks for sharing these very nice pictures Denise..appreciate you visit..might as well join this next week..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Terrific shots, Denise. What a beautiful spring day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is breathetakingly beautiful. A sense of clam in a busy world.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for stopping by, all of your kind comments were very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful place in your world! I like every photo that you posted but especially the views over the still water. Those landscapes are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete