Friday, May 29, 2009

Female Cardinal


Morning has broken, like the first morning

Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird

Praise for the singing, praise for the morning

Praise for them springing fresh from the world

~

Sweet the rains new fall, sunlit from heaven

Like the first dewfall, on the first grass

Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden

Sprung in completeness where his feet pass

~

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning

Born of the one light, eden saw play

Praise with elation, praise every morning

Gods recreation of the new day




When I first met my husband in July of 1975 I remember him asking me if I had ever heard of Cat Stevens. This particular song was one of my favorites but I had never heard a contemporary version before. On our next date Gregg turned up with Cat's album tucked under an arm. No boy had ever bought me a gift before, and little did he know at the time how much I appreciated the gift, but more importantly the thought behind it. All these years later this is still my favorite song.

16 comments:

TSannie said...

One of my favorite songs...and birds too.

Patty said...

How sweet and thoughtful was that. He knew how to win your heart. It is a beautiful song.

Rambling Woods said...

Love that song..takes me back to my teenage years...beautiful cardinal too..
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Becca's Dirt said...

That was a nice post Denise. How sweet your husband is and sentimental too. Have a nice weekend. Becca

tricia said...

What a beautiful post!

Steve B said...

This is a nice post.

Kilauea Poetry said...

How funny, I'll never forget being in the house I grew up -while in the kitchen, talking to my girlfriend on a black rotary dial up type phone. She ask if I'd heard the new one (which was Wild World)yet?!!Excellent slide show! Cheers-

Kilauea Poetry said...

I forgot..the cardinal and your header are beautiful-

Janie said...

I love that song, too. Your husband knew just the way to impress a gal, didn't he?

Ruth said...

That is a really nice video and a beautiful post. I haven't heard Cat Stevens sing that for years!

Cloudia said...

Such a lovely post!

magiceye said...

love that song
and your post!

Ebie said...

I am touched, how sweet Gregg is, and I could sense his soft side. I love this song, too, and it was popular in our era.

T and S said...

Lovely image of the cardinal with a non-interfering background. Beautiful shot.

Roy said...

The Cardinal is a beautiful image Denise.

diane said...

Ah that is such a sweet romantic story. The bird is pretty too.