Saturday, May 23, 2009

Camera Critters #59


Camera Critters is another wonderful meme created by Misty Dawn and hosted by Misty and Tammy. You can find other critter photos by clicking on the icon below.

One of my favorite spots to sit and relax for a spell is by the back windows that look out over our deck at the back of our home. The Grackles have been knocking a lot of the seed out of the feeders, which is normal as they are messy eaters. The benefit is that I get other little critters hopping around eating the leftovers. This little Chipmunk appeared a couple of days ago and I had a great time observing him, even though frankly he gave me eye-ache - he was a speedy little thing and I had a hard time keeping up with him. Consequently most of the photos here are a bit blurred. I don't know enough about manual camera settings and how to take photos in poor lighting - yet - and it is on my list, the never-ending one that I have been tucking away in the back of my mind. All this being said, he is a rare visitor and I felt very lucky to be able to get anything.


The Chipmunk
~
My friends all know that I am shy,
The chipmunk is twice as shy than I.
He moves with flickering indecision
Like stripes across the television.
He's like the shadow of a cloud,
Or Emily Dickinson read aloud.
~
Ogden Nash
(1902 - 1971 / USA)

Hi there, Mr. Chipmunk,
I see you found a treat,
Do you know how it tickles me
To watch you stop and eat?
~
I cannot help but smile
At your tiny fingered-paws,
So adept at what they do,
It gives me cause to pause.
~
Hush! Do you hear a noise?
I see you cock your head,
You listen so intently,
Was it something that I said?
~
A bit skittish, aren't you?
Well, I'm glad you're very wary,
There are other creatures out there,
That are bigger and more scary.
~
Such a perfect little thing you are,
What a total joy to find,
I'll bet God must have smiled, too,
When you first crossed His mind.
~
What fun He must have had,
When He designed you, little guy,
I'll bet he laughed so hard and long,
That tears squeezed from His eyes.
~
He made you small and made you fast,
In order to protect you,
Then gave you a striped fur coat,
To make it harder to detect you.
~
Well, so long, Mr. Chipmunk,
I see you've other things to do,
But I'm so glad you came today,
Such a pleasure meeting you.
~
~ Virginia Ellis ~

26 comments:

  1. Very sweet, thanks Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Denise!
    Stunning pictures!
    Your poem is very inspired!
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a cute little guy and I enjoyed the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice piccies Dennise, 1st glance I thought it a Rat,lol.
    Never seen a chipmonk b4 only in pics and that was ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This little guy has a grand feast on all those seeds. Great series of captures. Smiles Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise
    Lovely shots,
    and your poem is Fantastic :)
    Have a nice weekend !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a little cutie! Great post! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Denise, so well done the photos of your little visitor. the matching poetry is fun too. Like the humor in the special poetry of Ogden Nash. Most of the time it is hard to catch these little critters as they are shy and fast and do not stand still and say, please, take my photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chipmunk is a critter
    they're hairy, striped and sweet
    it sets your heart a twitter
    to watch the darlin' eat

    With little provocation
    you strew out nuts galore
    to see him eat and hide them
    and then come back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute little chippie was he singing his little chippie song??

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's a lil cutie, for sure! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chipmunks are fun to watch. Thanks for taking photos of yours to share. Cute poem, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some cool shots and the poem was a nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've ever seen a chipmunk in real life ... just photos. What a cutie he is! How lucky for you to get these shots and I loved the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is a very pretty little fellow - how lucky you are Denise to have him visiting you. Love the poems too. A x

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post very interesting, love the series of chipmunks pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a little Mr. Chippy living in our island of cherry trees and ivy. He stays well hid for the most part and we only see him occasionally. I don't mind that we can't coax him out too much as there are quite a few of his enemies that are our friends that he would have to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE chipmunks! I only see squirrels here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a little cutie! I'll be it was fun taking pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Denise: What neat captures of the chipmunk. That is certainly a fun little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never seen a little chipmunk, these shots are sweet

    love all the delicate flowers above

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the verse and the chipmunk photos. we have so many here - they are charming to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WONDERFUL photo series and poetry too!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  24. such a tiny cutie!

    I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete