Friday, May 1, 2009

Gregg is turning into a birder.

When Gregg and I were at Meadowlark Gardens last weekend we had two cameras, a small one I carry in my purse, the other a little heavier with a zoom lens. Invariably we get separated on a walk, especially if we are both taking photographs. This time I lagged behind as there were some flowers that took my eye. When I caught up with Gregg I found him leaning against a tree next to one of the many bird boxes in the area. He was very focused on that bird box.....

and this is what he took a photo of. I think it is a Barn Swallow.

Photography is one of the many things we enjoy, a hobby that keeps us happily occupied on the weekends. We are also developing an enthusiasm for bird-watching. Both of us are not that knowledgeable on them. We can identify the easy ones but the fun part is learning something new and together. We do, however, part the ways on sports. I watch golf on the TV when he is tuned into a game, and I enjoy it for a while but I am not as keen as he is and I tend to get a bit drifty-drifty. Now put a camera in my hand, my mind is like a steel-trap!

Added note: Leedra helped me identify Gregg's little bird as a tree swallow and not a barn swallow as I had at first thought. She said that barn swallows would be orange on the chest area. Thanks Leedra.

8 comments:

Roy said...

Things are looking up Denise, you will get him trained yet.{:)

frenchie4moi said...

How lovely that you have something in common. Many couples rarely have that, I'm afraid. The older I get, the more interesting in birds I become.

tricia said...

How great you have a hobby you can enjoy together--- and we get to reap the rewards. ;)

Leedra said...

It is a tree swallow instead of a barn swallow. The barn swallow would be orange on his chest area.

Great capture.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

diane said...

It is good that you can spend weekends walking and photographing together. I'm trying to get BB to enjoy walking, he used to when we were younger but now????? always excises.

diane said...

That should read "excuses"

Granny Anne said...

Your bird watching reminded me of when we first moved to West Wales. We had a wealth of different birds.JW was a bit more knowledgable than I, but we installed a pair of binoculars and a bird book on the dining table which was in front of a window which overlooked the front garden. We both learned a lot (even if we did get indigestion lol!

Denise said...

Thank you for all the comments. Always appreciate your visit.