Monday, May 4, 2009

Food Post - Basic White Bread For Your Bread Machine.

Basic White Bread For Your Bread Machine

Yes I know we should all be eating healthy, grainery bread but for those who have a family member who looks at you suspiciously, as if you’re trying to feed them arsenic when you offer them anything ‘healthy’ (I am not mentioning any names am I Gregg?) or if you ever have a hankering for white bread, this makes a delicious loaf.

I recently resurrected my bread machine, vowing to only make a loaf once a week, it’s just too good. The house smells wonderful (here's an idea, make a loaf every day if you're trying to sell your house or at least when you know prospective buyers are coming by. So what if you have to stockpile for a while, you can give a loaf or two to your neighbors and friends, they'll love you for it and what a memory, that wonderful lady who gave us delicious loaves of bread before she moved away, how kind! It's not like you have anything else to do right? On second thoughts maybe you'd better not, your neighbors probably hate the thought of you leaving anyway and it will make your job even harder if they try to sabotage your efforts of selling your house. They won't want to lose you or your home made bread and if you give them so much as a taste, they just might.

Before you people who are in the throws of moving feel like hitting me over the head with a 2 x 4 because believe me I do realize there is hardly any time for such niceties when you are trying to get those multiple tasks done, yes this is a little tongue-in-cheek humor. However, trust me, those buyers will take one whiff when they set foot in the door and say, "I am going to buy this house, where's that contract?) What's that you say, "And pigs might fly?"

It happens! Oink, oink, flap, flap, flap, that was the sound of a pig flying by when I tried giving that certain member of my family lentils the other day. He LOVED them! I'm lying, he didn't really. In fact when I asked if he would like me to make them again he said an honest "no thanks", with emphasis. And the sound of the flying pig disappeared into the distance. Don't worry folks I'm hungry for a slice of that bread and I'm getting a bit loopy but the feeling will pass as soon as I have posted this recipe.

The one I am using was written out a long time ago, so I don't know where it originated from, probably came with the bread machine. It got a big ‘thumb’s up’ from the boys who told me I could make it any time, phew! Brad took one look at this freshly baked loaf and cut himself a slice when he came over the other day. I also offered him the lentish dish I fixed and he chowed down a whole three bowls. No, I'm telling fibs again, I didn't even offer it to him but I am sure he would have loved it if I had. And another flying pig disappears over the horizon.

Enough of the loopiness, and on with the recipe.


Place ingredients into your machine as they are written down; first the ½ cup water, next the 3/8 cup of milk, then the 2 cups bread flower, etc.

½ cup water
3/8 cup milk (I checked on a conversion chart on line and this works out to 6 tablespoons)
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine (does not have to be melted, I just cut off a tablespoon from the stick)
2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons Red Star brand active dry yeast for all machines

Place all ingredients in bread pan and press “Start”. It’s as easy as that.

After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on baking rack and allow to cool one hour before slicing.

(Take my word for it, we could not wait an hour. We sliced up this bread while it was still warm and the butter doesn't even have enough time to melt in. Delicious!)

15 comments:

  1. It looks so Good!! I have many thoughts in my head but it is hard to change language today so I only right that you made me smile and you made my husband to make bread

    /Maria Berg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, what model of Bread maker do you have ?
    Last time I made a loaf, it was so hard. I told my husband we would keep it, just in case we needed to replace a brick in the foundation :) .
    Maybe I'll splurge and buy a new one ! Though my grandma (the bakery shop owner) would disaprove I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bread looks delicious!! You made me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. some things are so whimsical like the pig that it floats through your brain all day bringing on smiles.sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! I'm hungry !
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pig and that pig story! I only did the bread machine thing for a VERY little while. But that loaf looks yummy - oooh, the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely Denise. My bread maker is not working properly at the moment so I may just have to get it sorted out and have a go (bearing in mind we are trying to sell our house). Newly baked bread has a wonderful aroma and we can hardly wait for it to cool before we get started on it.

    Great post again - love your smiley piglet. A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Denise
    Nice post - very smelly in the right knd of way:)
    No bread machine here, used to make from scratch years ago but am now outof the habit but do remember the warm soft smells that floated round the house. Not for long tho 'cose as you have indicated the source doesn't stay around long enough lol
    Still remember the expression one of my boys used when confronted with 7 grain bread - 'not eating any of the dirty stuff filled with birdseed' Even his children won't touch it!!
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The piglet with its wings is looking real adorable :P

    I wish I knew how to make bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the aroma of freshly baked bread. We had the use of a friends machine and went mad for a few weeks but then the fad faded. I have a BB that would be welcomed by Greg. He likes white bread and wouldn't eat lentils. He is the cook and sometimes I have to nag to get a veggie dish. I hope those flying pigs don't go to Mexico and back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love home baked bread. This one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. dau#2 2 uses her bread machine to make pastry for stuff like pizza. My bread maker is still in MD and prob will stay there til pigs fly as I wasn't the one who used it

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could smell the bread from here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone. I said I was only going to make one of these a week but it's been requested, woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete